我們使用 Cookie 來記住您的功能及個人功能選擇,以提升您使用我們網站的體驗。繼續使用我們的網站即表示您同意使用 Cookie。請參閱我們的 privacy and cookie policies for more information

Skip to main content

The Amelia Island Auction / 1950 Lea Francis 2 Liter Sports Chassis no. 5146 Engine no. S5145

拍賣品219
1950 Lea Francis 2½ Liter Sports
2022 年 3 月 3 日,13:00 EST
Fernandina Beach Golf Club

成交價:US$56,000(包括佣金)

擁有類似藝術品?

上網提交您的藝術品,以獲取免費拍賣估價。

如何委託拍賣

尋找類似藝術品?

我們的汽車專家可以協助您在拍賣或私人洽購中找到類似物品。

尋找本地專家

專家

1950 Lea Francis 2½ Liter Sports
Chassis no. 5146
Engine no. S5145

2,496cc, DOHC Inline 4-Cylinder Engine
2 SU Carburetors, 100hp at 4,000rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
4-Wheel Drum Brakes, Front with Hydraulic Assistance
Independent Front Suspension by Torsion Bar
Semi-Elliptic Leaf Spring Rear Suspension

*Former 2011 Amelia Island Concours entrant
*Ex-Gilmore Museum
*Elegant British Sportscar
*One of a believed production run of only 85 cars


LEA FRANCIS
With a reputation as purveyors of quality motor cars to those who preferred individuality to the banality of mass production, the long-established Coventry firm of Lea-Francis recommenced production after WW2 with its 1939 range, and it was not until 1947 that a new model arrived in the shape of the 14hp Sports. Boasting up-to-the-minute styling, albeit somewhat reminiscent of the pre-war BMW 328, the Sports was powered by Lea-Francis's Riley-esque twin-camshaft 1.8-liter four and was good for 85mph. In 1949, the model received a substantial upgrade with the enhanced performance of a 2.5 liter version of the twin cam four cylinder, coupled to twin SUs. Sadly, this was not enough to save the brand and only a mere 85 of these fast, stylish roadsters were produced.

THE MOTORCAR OFFERED

It is thought that less than half of the original production of the post war 'LeaF' have survived, making this pretty English sports car a rare sighting at all, let alone in the USA. Still wearing its period British license plate with an 'LGU' prefix, that references an original life in London, after which it is known to have arrived in America in the late 1960s. Moving forward to the early 2000s, by then it was owned by Sherman Williams of Grand Rapids, Michigan who on September 25, 2002 generously donated the car to the Gilmore Museum at Hickory Corners, in his home state.

A few years after this, the '2.5' was sold to Barry Alexander of Sarasota, Florida in 2005 and it was while in his tenure that it received an extensive frame off restoration. This included stripping the aluminum body entirely, which was repainted in the two tone scheme of a rich butterscotch with black fenders, and then trimmed in green leather and fitted with a new top by Hoyts Upholstery. Under the surface, all chassis components and the engine was completely rebuilt with two new camshafts fabricated and new pistons fitted. The cylinder head assembly was overhauled, and new valves installed. The rebuild is well documented with extensive receipts and a cd disc showing the engine rebuild. On its completion, it was shown here in Amelia Island at the Concours d'Elegance in 2011.

Over the course of the last decade, the Lea-Francis sportscar has clearly seen modest road use, while its ownership has changed a further two times, latterly spending 7 years in Canada before returning to the USA last year. The seller today reports that this a well sorted car which is ready for immediate tours, and benefits from additional concessions to reliability including hidden electric fuel pump, high-capacity alloy radiator with additional electric cooling fan.

其他資訊