我们使用 Cookie 来记住您对功能性和个人功能所做的选择,目的是让您在使用我们的网站时获得更好的体验。继续使用我们的网站,即表示您同意我们使用 Cookie。请参阅我们的隐私权 Cookie 政策以了解更多信息

Skip to main content

The Autumn Stafford Sale – The Classic Motorcycle Mechanics Show / Property of the late Warrick Blackwell, c.1974 MZ RE250 Grand Prix Racing Motorcycle Project Frame no. 3161 Engine no. St 111

拍品 638
Property of the late Warrick Blackwell, c.1974 MZ RE250 Grand Prix Racing Motorcycle Project
Frame no. 3161 Engine no. St 111
16 October 2022, 10:00 BST
斯塔福德,Staffordshire County Showground

无底价拍品

£3,500 - £5,500

Ask about this lot

Property of the late Warrick Blackwell
c.1974 MZ RE250 Grand Prix Racing Motorcycle Project
Frame no. 3161
Engine no. St 111

• Former MZ factory machine
• Part of the Blackwell Collection for at least 30 years
• Not ridden for some time
• Offered for restoration

Although the Zschopau marque established its reputation with the general public as purveyor of reliable, if somewhat unexciting, commuter machines, the East German concern was in the forefront of high-performance two-stroke development in the post-war years. Under the direction of engineer Walter Kaaden, MZ achieved some notable triumphs against the might of Japanese opposition in the 1960s, and although its Grand Prix effort eventually faded, the firm produced many highly successful ISDT machines in the 1960s and 1970s.

What would become Motorradwerk Zschopau (Zschopau Motorcycle Works) was founded in the old DKW factory in Saxony after WW2, although its first machines were marketed under the IFA brand name. That first machine was based on the pre-war DKW 125, and derivatives were soon being raced in the East German Championship. The pace of development quickened following Kaaden's arrival in 1952, for it was he who redesigned the engine to accept a rotary disc inlet valve and resonant exhaust system.

The machine offered here represents MZ's 250cc Grand Prix racer in its ultimate form. Introduced in 1955, the first 250 racer - effectively a doubled-up 125 - was air-cooled and fitted with a four-speed transmission. Maximum power was 25bhp at 8,000rpm. Water-cooling was adopted in 1962 on the RE250, boosting power to 48bhp at 11,000 revs. By 1970 a six-speed gearbox was standard, and with 50-53 horsepower on tap the RE250 was good for a top speed of 140mph. When the factory's racing effort folded in 1977, all the existing bikes and parts were sold off to privateers, who continued to race them for years afterwards.

This ex-works example has formed part of the Warrick Blackwell Collection since at least 1992 and has been displayed at both the International Classic Bike Show and Midland Classic Bike Show. Sadly, nothing is known of its in-period racing history. Accompanying history includes photocopied marque-related literature; a selection of photographs; and an invoice/letter from John Mossey dating from November 1992 in which he states that "the bike starts good and runs up a treat and sounds sharp and clean on both cylinders".

MZ authority Manfred Woll has advised us that the front fork is from a 1977-onwards production roadster, while the rear suspension struts have been modified to a later specification. The covers for the expansion chambers are incorrect also. Otherwise the machine is believed to be correct. Not ridden for some years, this motorcycle will require restoration before returning to the racetrack. Partially dismantled, the machine is sold strictly as viewed and prospective bidders must satisfy themselves as to its completeness, provenance, authenticity and engine capacity prior to bidding. A fairing, screen, two tyres, clutch parts, assorted sprockets, cylinder block and sleeves are included in the sale.
Key not required

Footnotes

All lots are sold 'as is/where is' and Bidders must satisfy themselves as to the provenance, condition, age, completeness and originality prior to bidding.

附加信息