Afin de vous proposer une expérience optimale, nous utilisons des cookies pour mémoriser vos choix en matière de fonctionnalités, ainsi que vos préférences sur notre site. En poursuivant la navigation, vous acceptez l'utilisation des cookies. Veuillez consulter nos politiques en matière de confidentialité et de cookies pour en savoir plus.

Skip to main content

The Autumn Stafford Sale – The Classic Motorcycle Mechanics Show / 1928 Excelsior 750cc Super-X Frame no. P4-9002 (see text) Engine no. L5346 (see text)

Aperçu du lot
1928 Excelsior 750cc Super-X
Registration no. BF 7573 Frame no. P4-9002 (see text) Engine no. L5346 (see text)
16 October 2022, 10:00 BST
Stafford, Staffordshire County Showground

£20,000 - £24,000

Ask about this lot

1928 Excelsior 750cc Super-X
Registration no. BF 7573
Frame no. P4-9002 (see text)
Engine no. L5346 (see text)

• Charismatic American v-twin
• Formerly used by the Dutch Police
• Restored in the Netherlands
• Present ownership since 2015

The famous American Excelsior motorcycle was produced by the Excelsior Motor Manufacturing Company of Chicago, Illinois from 1907 until 1931, latterly under the 'Super-X' brand name. The first Excelsior was a belt-driven single cylinder machine, the engine of which formed part of the frame. A 61ci (1,000cc) v-twin joined the range for 1911, at which time Excelsior was acquired by bicycle maker, Ignaz Schwinn. In 1913 the twin was offered with all-chain drive while two-speed planetary transmission and a leaf-sprung, Indian-style front fork were two of the following season's innovations.

Alongside rivals Harley-Davidson and Indian, Excelsior offered a three-speed countershaft transmission for 1915, at the same time introducing a new frame with curved top tube and smoothly rounded tank, a first for Excelsior. Deeply valanced mudguards distinguished the v-twin of 1917. 'Military' olive green was adopted as the Excelsior livery that year and would remain the only option until 1920 when Navy Blue became the norm. In 1921 a 74ci (1,200cc) v-twin was added to the range, but by this time Excelsior had acquired the manufacturing rights to the Henderson Four and the days of the big v-twins were numbered. They were gone by 1925, Excelsior preferring to concentrate its resources on the Four and the newly introduced Super-X 45ci (750cc) v-twin.

Introduced to the US market in 1925, the Super-X retained the Big Twin's F-head valve gear while reverting to the leading-link front fork used on its earliest ancestors. Elsewhere though, it was extensively redesigned, featuring unitary construction of the engine/gearbox and geared primary drive encased with an alloy casting, innovations doubtless inspired by the contemporary Indian Scout and Chief. There was a higher-performance Super Sport model available, and this pair of Super-X's continued with few changes, other than a switch to a streamlined, teardrop-shaped fuel tank for 1929, until Ignaz Schwinn pulled the plug on motorcycle production in the spring of 1931.

Formerly used by the Dutch Police, this Super-X was restored in the Netherlands and purchased by the vendor in September 2015 from VOF Dutch Lion Motorbikes (bill of sale on file). Stored in a dry garage and last run in May 2022. It should be noted that the generator is not wired in. Lack of use and downsizing the collection are the reasons for sale. Copies of old Dutch paperwork and restoration costs, a copy parts list and a V5C registration document come with the machine. It should be noted that the engine number is incorrectly recorded in the V5C; erroneously lists a casting mark 'P4-9002' which is used as the frame number.
Offered without key

Informations supplémentaires