Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910
Lot 319
Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910
Sold for € 36,800 (US$ 42,934) inc. premium

Lot Details
Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910 Ex-George Wingard ,Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910
Ex-George Wingard
Cadillac Model 30 tourer cinq places 1910
Moteur N° 43143 (voir texte)

•Rare exemplaire de modèle carrossé en tourer
•Longtemps domiciliée en Orégon, aux Etats-Unis
•Modèle apprécié pour ses aptitudes au tourisme
•Dans la présente collection depuis trois décennies

Le Model 30 n'était pas la première quatre cylindres de Cadillac, mais c'était incontestablement la Cadillac quatre cylindres perfectionnée qui établit les standards de qualité, de luxe, de performances et de prix qui allaient positionner la marque en leader pour tout le siècle.

Comme tout observateur s'en apercevra rapidement, le renouvellement de Cadillac initié par le Model 30 ne sera pas la dernière métamorphose que connaitra Cadillac. En 1909, Cadillac n'avait que six années d'existence. Elle était encore sous la houlette de son créateur, Henry Martyn Leland et de son fils Wilfred, et n'avait plus que cinq années avant de fusionner avec Leland & Faulconer. C'était seulement sa deuxième année au sein de la General Motors de William Crapo Durant.

Cadillac présenta le Model D, sa première automobile à quatre cylindres, en 1905. Sa construction à quatre cylindres séparés avec des chemises à eau en cuivre et un inhabituel système d'accélérateur à levée de soupapes variable reprenait, dans sa conception et sa construction, les caractéristiques des monocylindres Cadillac très réussis. Sa configuration fut affinée dans les années qui suivirent jusqu'en 1909 quand Cadillac réalisa que les monocylindres qui l'avaient aidée à démarrer était désormais loin des exigences du marché qui avait évolué rapidement et attendait désormais un plus grand raffinement, une taille supérieure, ainsi que de la fiabilité et de la puissance.

En 1908, cinq différents modèles figuraient au catalogue Cadillac. Trois d'entre eux étaient des monocylindres et deux étaient des quatre cylindres. Un an plus tard, il n'y en avait plus qu'une, la quatre cylindres Thirty (30). En rationalisant son catalogue et en réduisant sa production, Cadillac pouvait améliorer la qualité tout en abaissant ses prix de 30% !

Que la Thirty ait correspondu aux attentes du marché est une évidence, comme en atteste sa longévité. Elle resta le seul modèle du catalogue de Cadillac pendant les six années qui suivirent, bien que la désignation du modèle ait changé en 1913, un accroissement substantiel de la course de 30 mm ayant augmenté la cylindrée et la puissance au frein, bien que la puissance calculée soit restée la même. La production annuelle passa de 5 903 en 1909 à 15 018 en 1913 et 14 003 en 1914.

Selon les informations du dossier fournies par un précédent propriétaire, cette voiture, 42164, a été livrée dans les premiers mois de 1910, et bien que le premier propriétaire ne soit pas connu, au bout d'un an ou deux elle fut achetée par un certain M. Sefflin d'Oakland, dans l'Oregon. M. Sefflin garda la voiture pendant environ 15 années, lorsqu'elle passa aux mains de M. Keato de Wolf Creek dans le même état. Son propriétaire suivant était Glenn Fogelstrom qui l'utilisa jusqu'à ce qu'elle soit complètement usée. À ce stade, on sait que le fameux collectionneur d'automobile de l'Oregon George Wingard récupéra et restaura la Cadillac, aux environs de 1961. Dix ans plus tard, M. Wingard vendit la voiture à Gordon Powelson également dans l'Oregon, qui continua de s'en occuper et d'améliorer son état. Elle fut mise en vente par M. Powelson en 1974 et passa alors aux mains du collectionneur local Donald Pollock. Les notes du dossier montrent qu'à un moment donné, son moteur a été remplacé par un bloc contemporain portant le numéro 43143.

Il y a 30 ans, après avoir passé toute sa vie dans le « Beaver State », elle fut achetée par M. Vander Stappen pour sa collection. Lorsqu'il l'acheta, la voiture était bleue, mais après quelques années, la décision fut prise de refaire la peinture dans le joli rouge qu'elle arbore aujourd'hui.

Ex-George Wingard
1910 Cadillac Model 30 Five Passenger Touring
Engine No. 43143 (See text)

•Rare example of Touring coachwork model
•Long time Oregon, USA car
•Model prized for touring capabilities
•Present collection ownership for three decades

The Model 30 was not the first four-cylinder Cadillac, but it was arguably the perfected four-cylinder Cadillac, setting a standard for quality, luxury, performance and price which positioned Cadillac for the century of leadership that followed.

As any contemporary observer will quickly recognize, the re-invention of Cadillac which the Model 30 represented was not the last time Cadillac would endure that wrenching metamorphosis. In 1909, Cadillac was only in its sixth year. It was still under the guidance of its founder, Henry Martyn Leland, and his son Wilfred, and had only five years before merged with Leland & Faulconer. It was in only its second year as part of William Crapo Durant's General Motors.

Cadillac introduced its first four-cylinder automobile in 1905, the Model D. Its arrangement of four individual cylinders with copper water jackets and unusual variable valve lift throttle system mimicked aspects of the successful Cadillac singles' design and construction. Its configuration was refined over subsequent years until 1909 when Cadillac realized the singles which had gotten it started were now a distraction from the rapidly evolving market which had come to expect greater refinement, size, reliability and power.

In 1908, there had been five different models in Cadillac's catalog. Three of them were single-cylinder powered cars, while two of them were four-cylinder powered. A year later, there was only one, the four-cylinder powered Thirty. Rationalizing the catalog and streamlining production allowed Cadillac to improve quality and at the same time lower prices by a whopping 30%!

That the Thirty met the expectations of the market is clear in its longevity. It remained the sole model in Cadillac's catalog for the next six years although the model designation changed and in 1913 an increase in stroke of 1 1/4" substantially increased displacement and brake horsepower even though the calculated rating stayed the same. Annual production went from 5,903 in 1909 to 15,018 in 1913 and 14,003 in 1914.

According to information on file as listed by a former owner, this car, 42164 was delivered in the first few months of 1910, and although the original owner was not listed, within a year or two it had been acquired by a Mr. Sefflin of Oakland, Oregon. Mr. Sefflin kept the car for roughly 15 years, at which point it passed to a Mr. Keato of Wolf Creek in the same state. Its next keeper was a Glenn Fogelstrom who would use it until it was thoroughly worn out. At this point, it is understood that famed Oregonian Car Collector George Wingard rescued it and restored the Cadillac, the date being roughly 1961. Ten years later Mr. Wingard sold the car on to Gordon Powelson also of Oregon, who would continue to look after and generally improve its condition. It was offered for sale by Mr. Powelson in 1974 and at that time passed to local collector Donald Pollock. Notes on file state that at some point, its engine was replaced with the contemporary unit 43143.

30 years ago, having spent its whole life in The Beaver State it was purchased by Mr. Vander Stappen for his growing collection. When purchased the car was blue, but after a few years a decision was made to refurbish the paintwork to the current rich red livery it is today.
Activities
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Under the Buyer's Agreement, a premium (the Buyer's Premium) is payable to us by the Buyer in accordance with the terms of the Buyer's Agreement and at rates set out below, calculated by reference to the Hammer Price and payable in addition to it. Storage charges and Expenses are also payable by the Buyer as set out in the Buyer's Agreement

All the sums payable to us by the Buyer are subject to VAT

For this Sale the following rates of Buyer's Premium will be payable by Buyers of Lots:

Motor Cars
15% of the Hammer Price

Automobilia
25% up to €150,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €150,001 to €2,000,000 of the Hammer Price
12.5% from 2,000,001 of the Hammer price

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 11
    FaxFax: +33 1 42 61 10 15
Similar Items