Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956

This lot has been removed from the website, please contact customer services for more information

Lot 327
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956

€ 380,000 - 480,000
US$ 400,000 - 500,000
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Carrosserie Pinin Farina
Châssis n° B24S-1188
Moteur n° B24-1310

•Numéros concordants
•Historique des propriétaires connu depuis l'origine
•Dans son état d'origine
•Aux mêmes mains de 1970 à 2013
•Bien documentée

Moteur V6 conçu pour la compétition, tenue de route superlative et sublime dessin de Pinin Farina, tels sont les ingrédients d'une sportive classique et la Lancia Aurelia B24S les a tous.

La B24S représente l'ultime développement de l'un des concepts les plus innovants qui ait vu le jour en Italie après la seconde guerre mondiale, la classique Aurelia. Première voiture à faire usage d'un moteur V6, elle fut dévoilée au Salon de Turin en 1950. Le V6 à 60° de 1 754 cm3, conçu par Francesco de Virgilio pendant la guerre, était entièrement en aluminium et faisait appel à des soupapes en tête actionnées par des poussoirs très courts, à la place des traditionnels arbres à cames en tête de Lancia. De construction monocoque en avance sur son temps, l'Aurelia reprenait la suspension avant indépendante « télescopique », inaugurée par la Lambda, mais recevait un demi-arbre tiré à l'arrière, une autre première mondiale. La transmission était, elle aussi, inhabituelle, composé d'un arbre en deux parties et d'un système transaxle regroupant boîte et différentiel sur lequel était monté des freins inboard, même si, pour une fois, il ne s'agissait pas d'une première.

La berline B10 était rejointe l'année suivante par le coupé B20, dessiné par Pinin Farina, une 2+2 fastback sur un empattement raccourci qui combinait les performances d'une sportive et l'aspect pratique d'une berline, inaugurant le concept de Gran Turismo. Le moteur de l'Aurelia avait été porté à 1 991 cm3 en 1951 et c'est cette mouture dans une version améliorée qui trouvait place dans la B20. Présentée en 1953, la 3e et suivante série B20 était animée par une version 2 451 cm3 de 118 ch du V6 culbuté et cette mouture fut adopté sur le spider B24S lancé en 1955, époque à laquelle l'Aurelia avait reçu un essieu arrière De Dion à ressorts lames.

Le spider Lancia Aurelia s'inspirait clairement des Ferrari découvertes de Pinin Farina. Le spider étant essentiellement destiné au marché américain et doté d'un pare-brise panoramique d'inspiration américaine, il fut rapidement surnommé America. Bâti sur un empattement de 2, 45 m, la B24 S était mécaniquement similaire à l'Aurelia B20 4e série, sauf pour le filtre à air différent. Tous les modèles avaient un levier de vitesses au plancher et ce fut la première Lancia à recevoir la conduite à gauche en série (le S du numéro de série signifiant sinistra – gauche en italien). Le Spider America fut seulement produit en 1955. À partir de 1956, il fut remplacé par le plus conventionnel cabriolet B24, reprenant la mécanique de l'Aurelia B20 5e série.

À nouveau confié à Pinin Farina, le cabriolet B24 S semblait extérieurement très similaire, mais en fait était entièrement nouveau, ne partageant aucun panneau avec son prédécesseur. De nombreuses différences étaient facilement identifiables : portières descendant plus bas avec poignée extérieure et vitres descendantes, pare-brise plus plat avec déflecteur et pare-chocs d'une seule pièce, pour n'en mentionner que trois. On trouvait aussi bien sûr une vraie capote digne d'un cabriolet offrant une bonne protection aux intempéries. Le cabriolet B24 S était construit sur le même châssis court que le spider et recevait une version un peu moins puissante du V6 2 451 cm3 de 110 ch. La vitesse maximale de 172 km/h était aussi légèrement inférieure. Plus civilisé que le spider sans compromis, le cabriolet connut aussi un succès plus large, 521 (tous à conduite à gauche) étant vendus entre 1956 et 1958 contre 240 spider.

Cet étonnant cabriolet Aurelia B24 S a été livré neuf le 30 août 1956 par le concessionnaire Rodolfo Tötl de Trieste, dans le Frioul au nord de l'Italie, à son premier propriétaire, dans cette même ville. La voiture changea ensuite de mains passant à son second propriétaire à Milan où elle est demeurée avec plusieurs autres propriétaires, avant d'être achetée par un collectionneur bien connu, industriel, politicien et philanthrope, Guido Artom en 1970. L'Aurelia est restée dans sa collection jusqu'en 2013, lorsqu'elle fut achetée par un autre collectionneur bien connu résidant en Suisse, la voiture restant cependant immatriculée en Italie. En 2015, l'Aurelia a été vendue à l'actuel propriétaire par le très respecté concessionnaire allemand Axel Schütte. On pense qu'elle n'a jamais été accidentée.
La voiture offre un excellent aspect, tant extérieurement qu'intérieurement, et se montre tout autant impeccable en dessous qu'elle l'est au-dessus et son intérieur en cuir noir affiche une belle patine. Un essai de compression en date de janvier 2015 atteste de la bonne santé du moteur avec 11 bar ou plus enregistrés sur les six cylindres. La voiture offre quelques options séduisantes comme la peinture Champ' et les pare-chocs type export avec butoirs à l'avant et à l'arrière.

Le très impressionnant dossier historique contient une nombreuse documentation dont le libretto italien datant de 1959 (quand Lancia était domicilié à Milan) et un estratto cronologico italien détaillant l'historique des propriétaires de la Lancia en Italie. Elle a aussi son passeport FIVA, ainsi que ses papiers d'immatriculation monégasque en cours permettant de circuler librement sans acquitter de droits d'importation si la voiture reste dans l'Union européenne. On y trouve également une attestation d'identification éditée par le groupe Fiat-Chrysler destinée à faciliter l'immatriculation. Une trousse à outils et un manuel du propriétaire d'origine sont également inclus et la voiture dispose d'un hardtop pour les conditions atmosphériques les moins clémentes.

Dans un superbe état, 1188 représente une magnifique opportunité d'acquérir un exemplaire de cette désirable Aurelia cabriolet à l'historique bien documenté, mettant en valeur le meilleur de la « vieille école » Lancia.

1956 Lancia Aurelia B24S Convertible with Hardtop
Coachwork by Pinin Farina
Chassis no. B24S-1188
Engine no. B24-1310

•Matching numbers
•Known ownership history from new
•Highly original
•Same ownership from 1970 to 2013
•Well documented

Race developed V6 engine, superlative handling and sensational Pinin Farina styling: these are the ingredients of a sports car classic and the Lancia Aurelia B24S has them all.

The B24S represents the ultimate development of one of the most influential designs to emerge from Italy post-WW2: the classic Aurelia. First car ever to employ a V6 engine, the Aurelia was launched at the 1950 Turin Motor Show. Designed in wartime by Francesco de Virgilio, the 1,754cc 60-degree V6 was of all-aluminium construction and used overhead valves operated via short pushrods instead of Lancia's traditional overhead-camshafts. An advanced unitary-construction design, the Aurelia retained Lancia's 'sliding pillar' independent front suspension, first seen on the Lambda, but used a novel semi-trailing-arm layout at the rear, another world first. The transmission too, was unusual, comprising a two-piece prop-shaft and combined gearbox/rear transaxle on which were mounted the inboard brakes, though for once this was not an entirely new departure.

The B10 saloon was joined the following year by the landmark, Pinin Farina-styled B20 Coupé, a fastback '2+2' on a shortened wheelbase which, with its combination of sports car performance and saloon car practicality, can be said to have introduced the Gran Turismo concept to the world. The Aurelia engine had been increased to 1,991cc in 1951 and this unit in up-rated form went into the B20. Introduced in 1953, the 3rd and subsequent series B20s were powered by a 2,451cc, 118bhp version of the pushrod V6, and this unit was adopted for the B24S Spider launched in 1955, by which time the Aurelia had gained a leaf-sprung De Dion rear axle.

The Lancia Aurelia Spider was clearly inspired by the Pinin Farina's open Ferraris. As the Spider was intended for sale mainly in the USA, and with its wraparound windscreen of American inspiration, it was quickly dubbed 'America'. Built on a 2,450mm wheelbase, the B24S was mechanically similar to the 4th Series Aurelia B20, except for different air filters. All models had a floor gearchange and it was the first Lancia with left-hand drive as standard (the 'S' in the type number meaning 'Sinistra' - left - in Italian). The Spider America was only produced in 1955. From 1956 it was succeeded by the more conventional B24S Convertible, mechanically based on the 5th series Aurelia B20.

Again the work of Pinin Farina, the B24S Convertible looked superficially very similar but in fact was a total redesign that shared no panels with its predecessor. Easily recognisable differences were many: deeper doors with external handles and wind-up windows, flatter windscreen with quarter-lights, and one-piece bumpers, to name but three. There was also, of course, a proper convertible hood providing decent weather protection. The B24S Convertible was built on the same short-wheelbase chassis as the Spider and used a slightly less powerful version of the 2,451cc V6 engine producing 110bhp. Top speed was also marginally reduced, to 172km/h. More civilised than the uncompromising Spider, the Convertible was also more successful, 521 (all left-hand drive) being sold between 1956 and 1958, as opposed to 240 Spiders.

This stunning Aurelia B24S Convertible was delivered new on 30th August 1956 via the established dealer Rodolfo Rötl in Trieste, in the Friaul region of north east Italy, to its first owner in that same city. The car then changed hands, passing to its second owner in Milan, where it would stay with various others before being purchased by well known collector, industrialist, politician and philanthropist, Guido Artom, in 1970. The Aurelia remained in his collection until 2013 when it was purchased by another well-known collector based in Switzerland, though the car remained registered in Italy. In 2015, the Aurelia was sold to the current owner via the highly respected German dealer, Axel Schütte. It is believed never to have been involved in an accident.

The car is beautifully presented both inside and out, and is as spotless underneath as it is on top, while the original black leather interior has a delightful patina. A compression test dated January 2015 attests to the engine's good health, a reading of 11 bar or higher being recorded on all six cylinders. The car features some attractive options including 'Champ' paintwork and export-type bumpers with over-riders front and rear.

The very impressive history file contains plentiful documentation including the old style Italian libretto dating from 1959 (when the Lancia was registered in Milan) and a copy of the Italian Estratto Cronologico listing the car's ownership history in Italy. It also has a FIVA Identity Card, as well as current Monegasque registration papers permitting free circulation with no import duties to pay should the car remain in the European Union. There is also an 'attestation d'identification' in French, issued by the FIAT-Chrysler group for ease of registration. A tool kit and an original owner's manual are present also, and the car comes with a hardtop for use in inclement weather.

Presented in stunning condition, '1188' represents a wonderful opportunity to acquire a well-documented example of the most desirable Aurelia Convertible, epitomising the very best of 'old school' Lancia design.
Contacts
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Lancia Aurelia B24S cabriolet avec hardtop 1956
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Buyers Premium and Charges for Automobilia

25% of the premium is payable on the first €50,000 of the hammer price, 20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 of the hammer price and 12% on the balance thereafter

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

App