1918 Dodge Model 30 Tourer Coachwork by Holden Registration no. BS 9154 Chassis no. 219918 Engine no. 270894
The world's first series production car to use Budd-built welded all-steel bodywork, the Dodge featured a 3.3-litre four-cylinder 35hp sidevalve engine, three-speed countershaft gearbox and 12-volt electrical system, marking it out as more advanced than Ford's conservative Model T. A robust, 'right first time' design, the Dodge changed little, apart from a couple of extensions in wheelbase length, over the course of the succeeding ten years. With 45,000 sold in 1915, the Dodge established a new debut-year production record. The company's products quickly established a reputation for quality and reliability, and later the Dodge was hailed as the car that 'speaks for itself'.
Dodge was second only to Ford in the US in 1920, but in that year both brothers died and the firm went into decline, falling to 13th place in the US industry rankings by 1928 when it was acquired by Walter P Chrysler. The latter wanted a cheaper car to complement his more upmarket Chryslers, and after only a year under his control Dodge had risen to 5th place in the manufacturing league table.
First registered in the UK in 2004, chassis number '219918' was supplied new to the Cheney Motor Co of Waymouth Street, Adelaide, South Australia and bodied locally by Holden Motor Body Builders. Cheney's brass plaque may be found on the dashboard. The Dodge came into the vendor's family's possession in May 2006 when it was purchased from Gavin McGuire's Fine Automobiles of Withyham, East Sussex. Described as in generally good condition, the car is offered with VCC dating certificate and Dating Panel report, various old MoT certificates and SORNs, a quantity of photographs, hand-written service record (1994-2004), assorted correspondence and magazine articles, and Swansea V5C document. Starting instructions and an original 'Book of Information on Dodge Brothers Motor Car' are included in the sale.