Procession signed, inscribed and dated 'MARCH - NOVEMBER 15 1960 "PROCESSION" B.INGHAM 34/HANBURY/ST E.1' (on the stretcher), pencil and oil on board 101.5 x 152cm (39 15/16 x 59 13/16in).
PROVENANCE: Acquired directly from the artist by the family of the present owner Private Collection, U.K
The painting was made during the artist's penultimate year at St. Martin's where he was a student from 1957-1961. Under the tutelage of Rowland Vivian Pitchforth R.A. he was directed initially to develop his technical acumen in composition using figures and still life groups, then encouraged to work directly with oil paints, experimenting with thin glazes then for a time with household emulsion paint and egg tempera.
The depicted landscape is an amalgam of different architectural influences, including the red and white-striped building to the right that may recall the building at Elephant and Castle, subject of a subsequent painting exhibited at the Royal Academy, and in the left background, possibly Hawksmoor's church at Spitalfields. Ingham became familiar with the area of Spitalfields and Stepney in the 1960s and early 1970s, living and working in studios in Fournier Street, and in Hanbury Street where he worked in a silk weaver's workshop looking out over Christ Church Spitafields which he described as the best view in London.
We are grateful to Francis Graham-Dixon and Joss Wynn Evans for their assistance in compiling this catalogue entry.