The foundation of BMW's post-war resurgence was the four-door 1500 saloon and its derivatives - the 'New Class' - the company capitalising on their success by adding revised two-door models to the range in 1966. Like the earlier cars, the new 1600 (later 1602) featured unitary construction, all-independent suspension and front disc brakes. All variants came with the Munich firm's dependable, single-overhead-camshaft, four-cylinder M10 engine under the bonnet, which despite its humble origins would go on to form the basis of a turbo-charged 1,000-horsepower Grand Prix unit and Formula 1 World Championship winner. New for 1963, the 1800 model used a 1,773cc 90bhp engine at first before rationalisation saw it replaced by an updated short-stroke 1,766cc unit in 1968. Soon there was a more sporting version available the 1800 Ti(Touring International) which had been developed by the tuning company Alpina and came with two twin-choke Solex carburettors and a higher compression ratio, modifications that raised peak output to 110bhp. This in turn led to the more powerful and track-focused 1800 Ti/SA 'homologation special', only 200 of which were made, that did so much to raise BMW's profile in international motor sport.
Purchased by the current vendor in Sweden in November 2005, this left-hand drive 1800 Ti/SA was sold new in June 1965 and has been regularly raced throughout Europe since then. We are advised that the car has been restored, boasting a recent good-quality re-spray by Chipping Norton Body Shop. The five-speed close-ratio gearbox and limited-slip differential were overhauled by Larranca Engineering recently while the engine is a full-race unit built by marque specialist Lester Owen. Described by the vendor as in generally good condition, the car comes with its original passenger seats, sundry restoration invoices and FIA/MSA papers.