1962 Ferrari 250GTE 2+2 Series 2 Coupé Coachwork by Pininfarina Registration no. WPC 9G Chassis no. 3203 Engine no. 3203
'Pininfarina and Enzo Ferrari have collaborated to make a most desirable motor car: expensive, fast and luxuriously comfortable, with a large luggage compartment. All this adds up to a Gran Turismo, with the accent on the "Gran", par excellence. If you want to go road racing look to the Berlinetta, but for touring in the grand style, "Two plus Two" equals near perfection.' - Sports Cars Illustrated. Intended to extend Ferrari's appeal to a sector of the market already contested by rivals Aston Martin and Maserati, the 250GTE 2+2 debuted in the summer of 1960. Ferrari's first four-seater, the 250GTE 2+2 was directly descended from the most commercially successful Ferrari of its day, the 250GT. Launched in 1954, the latter featured a lighter and more-compact Colombo-designed 3.0-litre V12 in place of its Europa predecessor's Lampredi unit. The 250GT chassis followed Ferrari's established practice, being a multi-tubular frame tied together by oval main tubes, though the independent front suspension now employed coil springs instead of the transverse-leaf type. A four-speed, all-synchromesh gearbox transmitted power to the live rear axle, while hydraulic drums looked after braking all round. Disc brakes arrived late in 1959 and a four-speeds-plus-overdrive gearbox the following year, and both were features the 250GTE enjoyed from the start of production in 1960. Pininfarina's brief had been to produce a 2+2 without sacrificing the 250's elegant good looks or sporting demeanour and the master carrozzier succeeded brilliantly with the GTE. By moving the engine, gearbox and steering gear forward and the fuel tank back, sufficient room was created for two occasional rear seats within the 250GT's 2,600mm wheelbase. The Tipo 128E outside-plug engine's 240bhp ensured that there was no reduction in performance despite the inevitable gain in weight. A popular and highly profitable car for Ferrari, the 250GTE evolved through three series, changes being mainly confined to the dashboard layout and exterior lighting arrangements, remaining in production until 1963. This left-hand drive 250GTE was sold new in February 1962 via official dealer M Gastone Crepaldi of Milan, Italy to local resident, Luigi Ceccarelli, a music composer and movie director. In June 1963 Ceccarelli sold the Ferrari to Giovani Rondanini of Busto Garolfo, Milan, and the accompanying Massini Report lists three further owners in Italy before it passed to a new owner in Munich, Germany in 1968. The next owner listed (from 1969) is Frank Plusinski, an American airman stationed in the UK, who in March 1971 sold the car to the current vendor. The latter used the Ferrari for a few years and then dismantled it with a view to restoring the car during his retirement. However, the project was never started and the car remains in that state today. Presented in 'barn find' condition and sold strictly as viewed, this challenging but potentially most rewarding Ferrari restoration project is offered with the aforementioned Massini Report and copies of its original ASI papers.
The engine number is 128F not 3203 as catalogued. This is a correct matching numbers car.