1924 Ballot 2LT/2LTS Torpedo Tourer Coachwork by Lagache & Glaszmann Registration no. Not registered in EU Chassis no. 1111 Engine no. 4RS 47512
A former marine engineer, Ernest Ballot founded his company in Paris in 1910 to manufacture engines for automobiles and also for stationary use, numbering Delage, La Licorne and Mass among his customers. By 1919 Ballot was producing complete chassis incorporating exotic, twin-cam, multi-valve engines designed for racing by Ernest Henry.
As well as the French, Italian and Spanish Grands Prix, Ballot entered the Targa Florio and Indianapolis 500, winning several events. However, Ballot's racers were expensive and had a limited market so from 1921 a 2LS road car was offered, based on the 2.0-litre four-cylinder racer, which boasted twin overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and a top speed of over 90mph. From this, Ballot developed the 2LT and 2LTS single-cam models. Using the 2LS's cylinder dimensions, the two-valve 2LT produced 48bhp (some 27 horsepower less than its predecessor) but was more suitable for normal road use. From 1924 a more powerful (60bhp) 2LTS was offered, the engine of which incorporated inclined valves opening into hemispherical combustion chambers. A stronger gearbox and transmission was provided also.
An advanced, high-performance design incorporating front wheel brakes, the 2LTS was offered with a variety of coachbuilt bodies ranging from a saloon to a two-seater sports. Approximately 500 were made. After an abortive six-cylinder model, Ballot moved swiftly on to produce eight-cylinder cars but these were not so well received and in 1930 the company was taken over by Hispano-Suiza.
The restored Ballot 2LT offered here has the more powerful 2LTS engine installed. LTS engines were numbered 47000, whereas the 2LT engines were either 39000 or 46000. The car also arries very attractive Lagache & Glaszmann four-seat torpedo tourer coachwork. Trailer makers of Montrouge, Seine, Lagache & Glaszmann also made sports-roadster bodies during the 1920s for Chénard-Walcker, Bugatti, Delage and Peugeot as well as Ballot. The car was imported to Japan from the UK in 1996 by a Mr Kusayanagi, who changed the wheel rims to accommodate beaded-edge tyres and drove the car only infrequently. We are advised that only some 300 kilometres (approximately 186 miles) were covered during his ownership. At some time in 2003 Mr Kusayanagi sold the Ballot to Classic Lines Ltd in Tokyo, from whom it was purchased by the current owner.
This rare Vintage-era sports car has been kept garaged but not used since acquisition by the vendor, and is described by him as in generally good condition. Please note the car will be subject to the reduced import tariff of 5% if it remains in the EU.