1925 Panhard et Levassor 35CV Model X42 Cabriolet, Chassis no. 59314 Engine no. 59314

This lot has been removed from the website, please contact customer services for more information

Lot 299
1925 Panhard et Levassor 35CV Model X42 Cabriolet,
Chassis no. 59314 Engine no. 59314

Sold for € 69,000 (US$ 77,811) inc. premium
1925 Panhard et Levassor 35CV Model X42 Cabriolet

Coachwork by Manessius

Chassis no. 59314
Engine no. 59314
René Panhard, ingénieur constructeur de machines à bois installé à Paris, aborda en 1889 la fabrication de moteurs à combustion interne sous licence Daimler avec son associé Emile Levassor qui s'intéressa aussitôt à la création de véhicules automobiles. En 1891, la firme Panhard et Levassor mit sur le marché ce qui est probablement la première automobile de production du monde, équipée d'un moteur type Daimler en V. Avant tout, la firme demeurera comme étant à l'origine de l'expression « Système Panhard » qui désignait cette disposition restée si longtemps classique du moteur avant entraînant les roues arrière via un embrayage, une boîte de vitesses et un pont arrière à différentiel. L'automobile moderne venait de naître.

Panhard et Levassor se bâtit très vite une réputation de constructeur sérieux, tant du point de vue de la conception que de la qualité de ses fabrications, d'une fiabilité supérieure à la concurrence, et du niveau de performance. L'année 1911 fut une date importante pour le constructeur français qui introduisit dans son offre un moteur sans soupapes licence Knight, type de propulseur qui allait être étendu à l'ensemble de la gamme et, ce, jusqu'en 1939.

Cette Panhard huit cylindres en ligne sans soupapes de 6,3 litres, le plus grand modèle de la marque à son époque, possède une direction à droite comme la majorité des voitures de luxe françaises avant la guerre. Puissante, confortable et rapide – sa vitesse de pointe était d'environ 130 km/h selon sa carrosserie – le type X42 séduisit quelques-uns des plus grands noms de la carrosserie française : Binder, Labourdette, Million-Guiet, Weymann, Baehr et Manessius, entre autres, habillèrent tous ce grand et luxueux châssis.

Cette voiture, châssis n° 59314, fut construite dans ce style unique par la carrosserie Manessius de Levallois-Perret selon la commande de son premier propriétaire, Don Felipe Navarro Morenes, Marquès del Norte, résidant à Madrid (Espagne). Le nom du marquis figure dans les archives de l'usine Panhard et Levassor conservées à Mulhouse et sa plaque de propriétaire est toujours présente dans la voiture. En 1973, « 59314 » fut achetée par le Musée de Saint-Dizier après un séjour de 48 ans en Espagne chez son premier propriétaire. Repeinte, elle y fut exposée l'année suivante pour l'Exposition internationale de la FIA et conduite par Jean Panhard à Saint-Dizier. L'actuel propriétaire acheta la voiture en janvier 1997.

Aux mains du vendeur, la Panhard a participé au Rallye du Centenaire du Salon de l'Automobile à Paris où elle descendit les Champs-Elysées aux côtés du Coupé Napoléon, ainsi qu'à d'autres manifestations pour véhicules historiques. Elle est resté dans un remarquable état d'origine et n'a subi qu'une restauration partielle : les deux magnétos et le démarreur électrique ont été refaits et la capote et les pneus ont été remplacés, tandis que, pour des raisons de sécurité, des clignotants et des feux stop ont été installés. Accompagnée de ses documents d'importation espagnols et de sa carte grise, cette magnifique automobile constitue une occasion unique d'acquérir ce qui fut en son temps un haut de gamme français exclusif et absolu.



René Panhard was an engineer whose business, based in Paris, made woodworking tools and built engines under license. With his partner, Émile Levassor, he experimented with horseless carriages using engines licensed from Daimler. In 1891, Panhard et Levassor offered for sale what was arguably the world's first production car, using a Daimler engine. Above all, the firm was responsible for bequeathing the automobile world with Systeme Panhard, which embodied the now familiar layout of a front-mounted engine driving a rear axle via a clutch, gearbox and differential. The modern motor car had been born.
Panhard et Levassor swiftly established a reputation for fine engineering, excellent craftsmanship, superior reliability and outstanding performance. 1911 was a landmark year for the French manufacturer, seeing the introduction to its range of the Knight double sleeve-valve engine, and this type of power unit would characterise the firm's larger offerings well into the 1930s.
The firm's largest offering in its day, this 6.3-litre eight-cylinder sleeve valve-engined Panhard et Levassor is of right-hand drive configuration like many pre-war French cars. Powerful, comfortable and fast - its top speed was around 130km/h (81mph) depending on the type of coachwork - the X52 attracted some of the greatest names of French coachbuilding: Binder, La Bourdette, Million Guiet, Weymann, Baehr and Manessius all producing designs on this chassis.
This particular car, chassis number '59314', was bodied in unique style by Carrosserie Manessius of Levallois-Perret, Seine to the order of its first owner, Don Felipe Navarro Morenes, Marques del Norte, a resident of Madrid, Spain. The Marques' ownership is recorded in the Panhard et Levassor archives at Mulhouse and his personal plaque remains inside the car. In 1973, '59314' was purchased by the Saint Dizier Museum, having spent the preceding 48 years in Spain in its first owner's garage. Repainted, it was exhibited the following year during the FIA International Exhibition and driven by Jean Panhard at Saint Dizier. The current owner purchased the car in January 1997.
While in the vendor's possession, the Panhard has attended the Rallye du Centenaire Automobile in Paris, driving down the Champs Elysées together with the Coupé Napoléon, as well as many other rallies for historic older vehicles. It remains highly original having undergone only partial restoration: the twin magnetos and electric starter have been overhauled and the convertible hood and tyres replaced, while flashing indicators and stop lights have been added for safety. Offered with Spanish importation documents and Carte Grise, this magnificent automobile represents a rare opportunity to acquire what was one of the finest French cars of its day.
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Like the vast majority of auctioneers Bonhams charge what is known as a Buyer's Premium. Buyer's Premium on all Automobilia lots will adhere to Bonhams group policy:

25% up to £50,000 of hammer price,
20% from £50,001 to £1,000,000 of hammer price,
and 12% on the balance thereafter. This applies to each lot purchased and is subject to VAT.

For Motor Cars and Motorcycles a 15% Buyer's Premium is payable on the first £50,000 of the final Hammer Price of each Lot, and 12% on any amount by which the Hammer Price exceeds £50,000. VAT at the standard rate is payable on the Premium by all Buyers, unless otherwise stated.

Some lots may be subject to VAT on the Hammer Price. These lots will be clearly marked with the relevant symbol printed beside the lot number in the catalog.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licenses please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

App