1911 Pierron Cabriolet 2 places, Chassis no. 285

This lot has been removed from the website, please contact customer services for more information

Lot 286
1911 Pierron Cabriolet 2 places,
Chassis no. 285

€ 50,000 - 60,000
US$ 57,000 - 68,000
1911 Pierron Cabriolet 2 places

Chassis no. 285
Moteur BALLOT n° 4F 3 - 130 n°7071 - 4 cylindres monobloc – Alésage/course 62 x 124 mm
Puissance Fiscale : 11 cv


La voiture présentée a été construite par la Société des Automobiles MASS (L.Pierron) à Courbevoie, rue Armand Sylvestre. Cette marque a toujours fabriqué en France des voitures pour un importateur Anglais J.R Richardson, qui en 1907 dirigeait en Grande Bretagne l'Usine Automobiles Pierron, « Mass » était l'abréviation du nom de son concessionnaire : Monsieur Masser Horniman, cerveau de la firme. Ce sont les Mass vendues en France qui portèrent le nom de Pierron.

Louis Pierron était ingénieur Polytechnicien, et ses automobiles étaient généralement animées par un moteur Ballot, comme celle présentée - la boite de vitesses est marquée Pierron d'un coté et Mass de l'autre. Elles étaient construites en petite série, et leur plus intéressante particularité était d'être équipée de roues amovibles serrées par un moyeu central, que l'on visse et dévisse avec une clef spéciale. D'autres solutions très modernes pour l'époque ont été étudiées avec la collaboration de Monsieur Poulet, également ingénieur; la voiture était vendue avec six mois de garantie !

Les Mass-Pierron mues par des moteurs Ballot, firme qui jouissait d'une excellente renommée et était souvent rapprochée d'Hispano Suiza. Elle avait été fondée en 1905 par les frères Edouard et Maurice Ballot, Boulevard Brune à Paris. A ses début, elle était spécialisée dans la fabrication de moteurs marins, d'où le sigle de la marque qui comporte une ancre de marine, que l'on retrouve sur la pipe d'admission de la voiture présentée. Un grand nombre de constructeurs français adoptèrent ce moteur dont Delage et Barré.

H. André, dans un essai de cette voiture relaté dans le numéro du 15 mars 1912 de « la Revue de l'Industrie Automobile et Aéronautique », termine son article ainsi :
« La voiture légère que nous venons d'essayer ne prête guère à la critique – les dispositions et les dimensions des organes sont le fruit d'une longue expérience, la matière qui les constitue, et le résultat d'essais nombreux et sévères, et les lignes de l'ensemble l'œuvre de dessinateurs éprouvés. C'est là plus qu'il n'en faut pour former un ensemblet rationnel et combler d'aise le chauffeur le plus ambitieux ».

Ayant acheté cette Pierron en octobre 1960, l'actuel détenteur en est devenu le second propriétaire : elle lui a été vendue a cette époque par Madame Grellety-Bosvel, sœur du défunt premier propriétaire F. Perdreux.

Très agréable à utiliser, on l'a vu participer à de nombreux Rallyes, dont entre autres le « Laurent Perrier/Antibes » de 1987.
Elle possède sa carte F.I.V.A datée de 1990 et la photocopie du catalogue de l'époque.

Carte grise de collection

Indiqué à la carte grise 6 cv, au lieu de 11 - Le lot comprend un moteur de rechange.

BALLOT Engine No. 4F 3 - 130 No. 7071 - 4 cylinders monobloc – Bore/stroke 62 x 124 mm
Taxable horsepower: 11 bhp

The car presented was built by the MASS automobile company (L. Pierron) at Rue Armand Sylvestre, Courbevoie. Cars of this marque were always manufactured in France for an English importer, J.R. Richardson, who in 1907 was director of the Pierron Automobile Factory in Great Britain. MASS was an abbreviation for the name of his distributor, Mr Masser Horniman, the brains behind the company. These are the Masses sold in France which carry the Pierron name.

Louis Pierron was an engineer from the Ecole Polytechnique, and his cars were generally powered by a Ballot engine like that presented. The gearbox is marked with the name Pierron on one side and Mass on the other. They were built in series and their most interesting peculiarity was being equipped with removable wheels locked with a central hub that can be screwed and unscrewed using a special key. Other quite modern solutions for the time were studied with the collaboration of Mr Poulet, also an engineer, and the car was sold with a six month guarantee!

The Mass-Pierron cars were powered by engines produced by Ballot, a company with an excellent reputation that was often used by Hispano Suiza. It was founded in 1905 by the brothers Edouard and Maurice Ballot, Boulevard Brune in Paris. In the beginning, it specialized in the manufacture of marine engines, from which comes the sign of a ship's anchor that can be found on the intake pipe of the car presented. A large number of French constructors used this engine, including Delage and Barré.

H. André, in a test of this car reported on in the 15 March 1912 edition of the Revue de l'Industrie Automobile et Aéronautique [Review of the Automobile and Air Industry], ended his article as follows:

"The light car that we have just tested is beyond criticism – the arrangement and dimensions of the instruments are the fruit of long experience, the materials of which they are made and the result of numerous and rigorous trials, and the lines of the whole are the work of proven designers. There is more than enough to form a unified design and fill the most ambitious driver with joy."

In purchasing this Pierron in October 1960, the current owner became the second owner. It was sold to her at that time by Mrs Grellety-Bosvel, the sister of the deceased first owner, F. Perdreux.

It is very easy to use and has taken part in numerous rallies, including the Laurent Perrier Antibes Rally of 1987.

It has its F.I.V.A. [International Federation for Old Vehicles] card dated 1990 and a photocopy of the catalogue of the time.

Vehicle collection registration document

Indicated on the vehicle registration document as 6 CV instead of 11 CV.
The Lot includes a spare engine.
1911 Pierron Cabriolet 2 places, Chassis no. 285
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Like the vast majority of auctioneers Bonhams charge what is known as a Buyer's Premium. Buyer's Premium on all Automobilia lots will adhere to Bonhams group policy:

25% up to £50,000 of hammer price,
20% from £50,001 to £1,000,000 of hammer price,
and 12% on the balance thereafter. This applies to each lot purchased and is subject to VAT.

For Motor Cars and Motorcycles a 15% Buyer's Premium is payable on the first £50,000 of the final Hammer Price of each Lot, and 12% on any amount by which the Hammer Price exceeds £50,000. VAT at the standard rate is payable on the Premium by all Buyers, unless otherwise stated.

Some lots may be subject to VAT on the Hammer Price. These lots will be clearly marked with the relevant symbol printed beside the lot number in the catalog.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licenses please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.