1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126

This lot has been removed from the website, please contact customer services for more information

Lot 261
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider,
Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126

€ 550,000 - 650,000
US$ 580,000 - 690,000
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider

Coachwork by Castagna

Chassis no. 8513078
Engine no. 121315126
« La 1750, et pour les mêmes motifs, la 1500 ... doivent être rangées parmi les plus belles jamais produites à la fois du point de vue de la conception mécanique et du plaisir de conduite. » Michael Frostick –Alfa Romeo Milano.

Ce fut en 1923 qu'Enzo Ferrari, en personne, persuada Vittorio Jano de quitter le département des courses de Fiat pour le rejoindre chez Alfa Romeo. Jano, un des ingénieurs automobiles le plus doués et le plus influents de tous les temps, allait non seulement diriger tout le programme sportif d'Alfa Romeo en Grand Prix, mais concevoir aussi ses types de route. Cette heureuse conjoncture se traduisit, en ce qui concerne ce second point, par la création des plus passionnantes automobiles de l'époque qui conférèrent à la marque milanaise une réputation sans égale de constructeur de voitures pour amateurs de conduite. Modèle logiquement dérivé de la 6C 1500, elle-même provenant de l'imbattable P2 Grand Prix du même Jano, qui avait remporté le Championnat du Monde en 1925, la Tipo 6C 1750 apparut en 1929, équipée d'un moteur issu du six-cylindres 1500 cm3 et agrandie à 1 752 cm3. Construite en deux versions, la « simple arbre » Turismo et la « double arbre » Sport (rebaptisée par la suite Gran Turismo), la 6C 1750 se forgea une renommée de voiture de tourisme rapide combinant un poids limité à de brillantes performances car capable de dépasser 120 km/h (selon sa carrosserie). Il y eut aussi une version « SS » suralimentée qui devint par la suite la « GS ». La carrière sportive de la 1750, favorisée par la longévité de sa mécanique, dépassa largement sa période de production qui cessa en 1933.

Cette unique 6C 1750 GS proposée ici fut immatriculée pour la première fois à Milan le 19 juillet 1930 sous le n° « MI 28360 ». Les détails accompagnant sa première immatriculation mentionnent la caisse biplace sport et Castagna a confirmé que « 8513078 » a bien été carrossée dans leurs ateliers (voir correspondance dans le dossier). C'est à cette époque que la voiture aurait aussi été modernisée en recevant le plus puissant moteur 6C 1900 série 6 qu'elle possède aujourd'hui.

Située à Milan, la Carrozzeria Castagna avait été fondée au milieu du XIXe siècle quand Carlo Castagna reprit la fabrique de voitures hippomobiles de son ancien employeur, M. Ferrari. Lors de l'apparition des véhicules à moteur, Castagna s'intéressa à la carrosserie automobile et se spécialisa sur les châssis de marques de prestige dont Isotta Fraschini, Mercedes-Benz, Hispano-Suiza, Daimler, Lancia, Duesenberg et Alfa Romeo. En 1920, Castagna était le carrossier le plus important d'Italie avec environ 400 employés. Mais l'effondrement de l'économie américaine au début des années 1930 et la cessation d'activité des automobiles Isotta Fraschini portèrent un coup sérieux à Castagna qui perdit son plus gros marché et en même temps, son plus gros client. La firme entra en déclin, carrossa ses dernières voitures au début des années 1950, mais repartit au milieu des années 1990 et poursuit ses activités aujourd'hui.

Les archives détenues par l'Alfa Romeo Register indiquent que « 8513078 » fut d'abord vendue à Erika Glitz avec un certificat d'origine daté du 18 juillet 1930. Le 2 octobre 1930 elle fut transférée (sans quitter la région de Milan) à Sergio Rusca. Le propriétaire suivant fut Edoardo Visconti di Modrone (mention en date du 26 janvier 1931) et, en novembre 1934, elle quitta la région de Milan pour la circonscription administrative de Trieste, son nouveau propriétaire étant Franco Sergas. Le 28 mai 1938, l'Alfa partit pour Cantu (Côme) aux mains de Giuseppe Citterio et le 22 novembre de cette même année, elle fut rachetée par Maggiore Raffaele Menaldi de Foggia. La suite de son histoire est inconnue jusqu'à sa redécouverte aux Etats-Unis dans les années 1980.

Joe Marchetti vendit la voiture à Brian Brunkhorst en 1987 et celle-ci, nécessitant apparemment une restauration totale, devint la propriété, la même année, de Ugo Isgro. En octobre 1988, « 8513078 » fut achetée par Massimo Sordi qui la conserva longtemps (près de 19 ans) avant de la vendre en Hollande au propriétaire actuel en 2007.

À la fin des années 1980, alors aux mains de M. Sordi, « 8513078 » était dans les ateliers du réputé restaurateur, Dino Cognolato, en Italie, pour y être restaurée. Les travaux durèrent quatre ans. Les photos présentes au dossier la montrent dans ses ateliers et l'on sait que M. Cognolato se rappelle bien cette Alfa dont il aimait beaucoup la forme. On trouve aussi dans le dossier un rapport détaillé rédigé en octobre 2008 pour le détenteur actuel par l'expert de la marque, R. E. San Giorgi, qui atteste que les détails du châssis sont corrects pour une 6C 1750 GS et que, selon lui, le numéro de châssis est correct et d'origine. (On doit préciser que la confirmation de la provenance de la carrosserie n'avait pas encore été obtenue de Carrozzeria Castagna à la date de ce rapport.) La voiture est équipée d'un boîtier de direction 6C 1900 correct pour l'époque, tandis que la boîte de vitesses, le mécanisme de sélection, le pont arrière, le mécanisme du frein à main et le système de réglage des tiges de frein sont bien ceux des GS séries 4 et 5 auxquelles appartient cette voiture.

Après son long séjour dans la collection Sordi, au cours duquel elle prit part à la Mille Miglia 1992, l'Alfa arriva en Hollande en mai 2007 pour être envoyée aux ateliers Gert-Jan van der Meij pour une révision totale. Les travaux effectués concernèrent la réfection du radiateur, le nettoyage et l'étanchéité du réservoir d'essence, le démontage et le nettoyage des carburateurs, la réfection des freins, entre autres interventions. En juin 2007, la voiture fit sa première grande sortie en Europe à l'Alfa Raduno à Anvers (Belgique) et apparut notamment au Nierstichting Rally en 2007 et aux Rotary Rally, Rode Kruis Rally et rencontre Alfa d'Assen en 2008.

Étonnante et élégante voiture sous tous les angles, cette icône automobile de 1930 représente l'Italie et Alfa Romeo à leur apogée. Sublimée par une carrosserie provenant d'une des plus grandes représentantes de cet art de la carrozzeria et dotée de performances supérieures par la grâce du moteur 1900 à compresseur, « 8513078 », éligible pour les plus prestigieux évènements historiques, est aussi destinée aux concours les plus exclusifs.




'The 1750, and for that matter the 1500... must be among the finest ever made both from the point of view of engineering and driver satisfaction.' - Michael Frostick, 'Alfa-Romeo-Milano'.
It was in 1923 that Enzo Ferrari, no less, persuaded Vittorio Jano to leave FIAT's racing department and join him at Alfa Romeo. One of the most gifted and influential automobile engineers of all time, Jano would not only supervise Alfa Romeo's Grand Prix racing programme but also design its road cars. This happy state of affairs resulted in the latter emerging as some of the most exciting of their day, establishing the Milanese marque's reputation for producing sporting driver's cars second to none. Logical derivative of the Tipo 6C 1500, itself directly descended from Jano's all-conquering P2 that had won the World Championship in 1925, the Tipo 6C 1750 arrived in 1929 boasting a derivative of the 1500's six-cylinder engine enlarged to 1,752cc. Built in single-cam Turismo and twin-cam Sport (later renamed Gran Turismo) variants, the 6C 1750 was an exciting fast touring car combining light weight with sparkling performance, more than 75mph being attainable, depending on coachwork. There was also a supercharged 'SS' version, which later evolved into the 'GS'. The 1750's sporting career, aided by its mechanical longevity, extended far beyond its production, which ceased in 1933.
The unique 6C 1750 GS offered here was first registered in Milan on 19th July 1930 with the plate 'MI 28360'. Its original registration particulars make reference to the sports two-seater body and Castagna have confirmed the fact that '8513078' was bodied by them (see correspondence on file). It was during this period that the car was also believed to have been upgraded with the much more powerful, supercharged 6C 1900 6th Series engine that it has today. Milan-based Carrozzeria Castagna had been founded in the mid-19th Century when Carlo Castagna took over the carriage-making business of his erstwhile employer, a Mr Ferrari. With the coming of motorised transport, Castagna turned to making motor bodies, specialising in the chassis of prestigious makes including Isotta Fraschini, Mercedes-Benz, Hispano Suiza, Daimler, Lancia, Duesenberg and Alfa Romeo. By 1920 Castagna was Italy's biggest coachbuilder, with approximately 400 employees. However, the collapse of the American economy in the early 1930s and resulting closure of Isotta Fraschini was a serious blow to Castagna, which lost its biggest market and best customer at the same time. The firm went into decline, bodying its last cars in the early 1950s, but was revived in the mid-1990s and continues today.
Records held by the Alfa Romeo Register show that '8513078' was originally sold to one Erika Glitz with a certificate of origin dated 18th July 1930. On 2nd October 1930 it was transferred (still in the Milan area) to Sergio Rusca. The next owner was Edoardo Visconti di Modrone (entry dated 26th January 1931) and in November 1934 it left the Milan area for the Trieste registration district, the new owner being Franco Sergas. On 28th May 1938 the Alfa moved to Cantu (Coma), its new owner being Giuseppe Citterio and on 22nd November that year it was acquired by Maggiore Raffaele Menaldi of Foggia. Thereafter no history is known until the car was rediscovered in the USA in the 1980s.
Joe Marchetti sold the car to Brian Brunkhorst in 1987 and later that same year it was acquired by Ugo Isgro, apparently in need of total restoration. In October 1988 '8513078' passed into the long-term ownership of Massimo Sordi, who kept the car for close on 19 years, selling it to the current vendor in Holland in 2007.
In the late 1980s, while in Mr Sordi's care, '8513078' was in the workshop of the renowned restorer, Dino Cognolato of Vigonza, Italy undergoing restoration, a process that took all of four years. There are pictures on file of the car showing it at his premises, and we are advised that Mr Cognolato still remembers the Alfa, having always liked the shape very much. Also on file is a detailed report prepared for the current owner in October 2008 by marque expert, R E San Giorgi, which states that the chassis details are correct for a 6C 1750 GS and that in his opinion the chassis number is authentic and unaltered. (It should be noted that confirmation of the body's provenance had not been obtained from Carrozzeria Castagna when this report was prepared). The car is fitted with a period-correct 6C 1900 steering box, while the gearbox, gearchange mechanism, rear axle, handbrake mechanism and brake rod adjusting mechanisms are all correct for a 4th/5th Series GS such as this one.
After its lengthy sojourn within the Sordi collection, during which time it took part in the 1992 Mille Miglia, the Alfa arrived in Holland in May 2007 and was despatched to the workshop of Gert-Jan van der Meij for a thorough overhaul. Work carried out at this time included remaking the radiator, cleaning and sealing the fuel tank, stripping and cleaning the carburettors, overhauling the brakes and a lot more besides. In June 2007 the car had its first major European outing, participating in the Alfa Raduno in Antwerp, Belgium while other noteworthy events entered have included the Nierstichting Rally in 2007 and the Rotary Rally, Rode Kruis Rally and Assen Alfa meetings in 2008.
A stunning and elegant car from any angle, this 1930s motoring icon represents Italy at its best and Alfa Romeo at it finest. Blessed with sublime coachwork from one of Italy's foremost carrozzeria and possessing greatly enhanced performance courtesy of the blown '1900' engine, '8513078' is eligible for a wide variety of the most prestigious historic motoring events and would grace any concours lawn.
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series GS Spider, Chassis no. 8513078 Engine no. 121315126
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Like the vast majority of auctioneers Bonhams charge what is known as a Buyer's Premium. Buyer's Premium on all Automobilia lots will adhere to Bonhams group policy:

25% up to £50,000 of hammer price,
20% from £50,001 to £1,000,000 of hammer price,
and 12% on the balance thereafter. This applies to each lot purchased and is subject to VAT.

For Motor Cars and Motorcycles a 15% Buyer's Premium is payable on the first £50,000 of the final Hammer Price of each Lot, and 12% on any amount by which the Hammer Price exceeds £50,000. VAT at the standard rate is payable on the Premium by all Buyers, unless otherwise stated.

Some lots may be subject to VAT on the Hammer Price. These lots will be clearly marked with the relevant symbol printed beside the lot number in the catalogue.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

App