1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398
Lot 214
1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé
Registration no. UAS 803 Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398
€ 220,000 - 260,000
US$ 250,000 - 290,000

Lot Details
1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398 1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé  Chassis no. 441193 Engine no. 398
1929 Bugatti Type 44 'Fiacre' Coupé
Coachwork by Jean Bugatti

Registration no. UAS 803
Chassis no. 441193
Engine no. 398
Au début des années 1930, Ettore Bugatti s'était forgé une réputation de constructeur de voitures hautement performantes tant sur la route que sur les circuits. Les meilleurs pilotes du monde signaient d'innombrables succès au volant des bolides de Molsheim et beaucoup avaient adopté les produits de la marque comme moyen de transport personnel. Considérée comme la meilleure Bugatti de tourisme des années 1920, la Type 44 présentée en 1927 fut produite jusqu'en 1931. Sa production s'éleva à 1 095 exemplaires dont il subsiste 10 pour cent aujourd'hui. Ce type était propulsé par le classique huit-cylindres en ligne à 1 ACT de Bugatti, un des moteurs le plus réputés des tous les temps. Justifiant son choix par une longue série de succès, Ettore Bugatti resta fidèle au « simple arbre » et n'adopta le système à deux arbres à cames en tête que sur l'insistance de son fils Jean pour la Type 50 de 1930. Le moteur de la Type 44 à deux blocs de quatre cylindres, trois soupapes et une bougie par cylindre d'une capacité de 2 991 cm3 délivrait environ 80 ch, puissance suffisante pour emmener la voiture à près de 130 km/h. Associé à une boîte à quatre rapports, ce magnifique moteur équipait un classique châssis Bugatti à essieu avant rond et ressorts arrière quart-elliptiques inversés.

Le châssis n° 441193 reçut une typique carrosserie de coupé « Fiacre » deux portes et quatre places dessinée par Jean Bugatti, un de ses thèmes favoris. La voiture ici présentée est accompagnée d'un rapport détaillé rédigé en 2003 par l'expert indépendant en Bugatti David Sewell, qui révèle que selon les archives de l'usine, elle fut achevée le 27 novembre 1929. Équipée du moteur n° 398, elle fut facturée par l'usine 70 000 francs à l'importateur belge René de Buck à Bruxelles. Ce châssis étant facturé à un prix supérieur de 10 000 F au prix normal devait s'accompagner de spécifications spéciales de qualité. Il fut livré revêtu d'une carrosserie « Fiacre « d'usine qui coûta 28 960 F soit un prix supérieur de 50 pour cent à celui d'une carrosserie de berline standard d'usine. La voiture fut immatriculée pour la première fois le 1e juillet 1930, mais on ignore malheureusement le nom du premier propriétaire comme reste inconnu son historique jusqu'à son apparition en 1962 dans le Registre Bugatti de Hugh Conway dans lequel elle figure au nom de son propriétaire J. Hassan, 37 rue Malar à Paris VIIe, précisant qu'elle était conservée au Maroc.

En janvier 1967, la Type 44 fut immatriculée 737 HR 74 en Haute-Savoie et, en 1973 , elle devint la propriété de Uwe Hucke, grand connaisseur de Bugatti, qui l'exposa dans son Automuseum de Nettelstedt en Allemagne. Toujours en sa possession, la voiture fut engagée au Rassemblement International Bugatti de Bad Oeynhausen (Allemagne) en 1989. Une photo de la voiture figura dans la deuxième édition de l'ouvrage « Bugatti, Documentation pour une marque automobile » écrit par Uwe Hucke et son épouse Monica et publié par le musée en 1976.
Un registre Bugatti allemand non publié et daté de 1989 indique que la voiture est la propriété de W. Helmerding de Bad Oeynhausen avec une note entre parenthèses posant la question de son éventuelle revente avant cette date. Le propriétaire suivent, Heinrich Risken de Bad Rothenfeld (Allemagne), propriétaire d'une firme de produits alimentaires, acheta la Bugatti vers 1983 à un ami qui possédait le musée de Bad Oeynhausen, probablement Herr Helmerding.

Aux mains de Herr Risken, la voiture fut totalement restaurée (dans les années 1990) avec reconstruction du moteur par un spécialiste Bugatti suisse, remise en état du châssis et des suspensions, regarnissage de l'intérieur et peinture selon l'actuel schéma en deux teintes, noir et rouge (après avoir été jaune et noir). Le détail de cette restauration complète figure dans le compte-rendu de cinq pages de M. Sewell. Après l'achèvement de ces travaux, la voiture fut expédiée chez Ivan Dutton au Royaume-Uni pour y être contrôlée, mise au point et essayée sur route, après quoi elle resta inutilisée dans la collection privée de M. Risken jusqu'en 2003. En conclusion de son rapport de 2003, David Sewell décrit « 44193 » comme une « voiture exceptionnelle, un exemplaire vraiment extraordinaire du Type 44 considéré par beaucoup comme le meilleur des types Bugatti de tourisme. Une somme considérable a été dépensée il y a quelques années pour remettre la voiture dans un état pratiquement proche du neuf sur tous les points, en mécanique comme en carrosserie et, depuis, elle n'a pas ou pratiquement pas été conduite. »
En mai 2003, la voiture devenue la propriété du Dr Christopher Essen a reçu l'immatriculation britannique correspondant à son âge « UAS 803 » Le Dr Essen a participé sur une journée au Rassemblement International au Royaume-Uni en 2004 où la voiture reçut le Taylor Trophy au Concours du Bugatti Owners Club à Prescott. Aux mains de Dr Essen, la voiture a été révisée en mécanique (vers la fin de 2004) par Malcolm Gentry qui vérifia l'état des freins, de la boîte de vitesses, du pont arrière, des instruments et du damper de vilebrequin. Le châssis reçut des ressorts avant neufs. John Marks de Vintage Restorations remis les instruments à neuf et la dynamo fut refaite par Eddie Heasell.
« 44193 » fut vendue en juin 2007 à l'actuel propriétaire, résidant dans le sud de la France, qui participa au Rallye International Bugatti de mai 2009 en parcourant 800 km en Toscane sans incident. Offerte avec un copieux dossier de factures et son document britannique d'immatriculation V5 de Swansea, « 44193 » représente une magnifique occasion d'acquérir une Type 44 authentiquement d'origine, totalement restaurée et rare sous cette forme qui atteste des compétences et du goût de Jean Bugatti en matière de carrosserie.

Footnotes

  • By the early 1930s Ettore Bugatti had established an unrivalled reputation for building cars with outstanding performance on road or track; the world's greatest racing drivers enjoying countless successes aboard the Molsheim factory's products and often choosing them for their everyday transport. Considered the finest touring Bugatti of the 1920s, the Type 44 was introduced in 1927 and lasted in production until 1931. 1,095 were built, of which around 10 percent survive today. The model was powered by Bugatti's classic single-overhead-cam straight eight engine, one of the most famous automobile power units of all time. Because of its lengthy run of success, Ettore Bugatti remained committed to his single-cam design, only adopting the double-overhead-camshaft method of valve actuation, after much prompting by his eldest son Jean, on the Type 50 of 1930. The Type 44's twin-block, three-valves-per-cylinder, single-plug engine displaced 2,991cc and produced approximately 80bhp, an output good enough for a top speed of over 75mph. Driving via a four-speed gate-change gearbox, this superb motor was housed in Bugatti's familiar vintage chassis featuring a circular-section front axle and rear quarter elliptics.
    Chassis number '441193' features Jean Bugatti's splendid factory-built 'Fiacre' two-door four-seat coupé coachwork, a design that was one of his personal favourites. The car comes with a detailed report compiled in 2003 by independent Bugatti consultant, David Sewell, which reveals that according to the factory records it was completed on 27th November 1929. Fitted with engine number '398', it was invoiced by the factory for FF70,000 to their Belgian agent René de Buck of Brussels. The invoice price of this particular chassis was some FF10,000 higher than normal, so it must been particularly well specified. It was supplied with factory-built 'Fiacre' coachwork costing an additional FF28,960, which was more than 50% higher than the current cost of a standard factory-built saloon. The car was first registered on 1st July 1930 but unfortunately the name of its first owner remains unknown, as does any further history prior to its appearance in Hugh Conway's 1962 Bugatti Register where it is listed as owned by J Hassan of 37 Rue Malar, Paris 7 with a note that the car was kept in Morocco.
    In January 1967, the Type 44 was registered '737 HR 74' in the Départment of Haute Savoie and by 1973 had passed into the ownership of Uwe Hucke, a leading Bugatti authority, who placed it on display in the Automuseum in Nettelstedt, Germany. While in his ownership the car was entered in the 1989 International Bugatti Meeting in Bad Oeynhausen, Germany. A photograph of the car appears in
    the second edition of the book 'Bugatti, Dokumentation einer Automobilmarke' by Uwe and his wife Monika Hucke published in 1976 by the motor museum at Bad Oeynhausen.
    An unpublished German Bugatti register dated 1989 lists the car as owned by W Helmerding of Bad Oeynhausen, with a bracketed entry querying whether the car had by that date been sold. The next owner, Heinrich Risken of Bad Rothenfelde in Germany (proprietor of a meat products company) bought the Bugatti circa 1983 from a friend who owned the Bad Oeynhausen museum, presumably Herr Helmerding.
    While in Herr Risken's ownership, the car was fully restored (in the 1990s), the engine being completely rebuilt by a Swiss Bugatti specialist, the chassis and suspension overhauled, the interior re-trimmed and the car repainted in its current colour scheme of red/black (from yellow/black). (Full details of this most extensive renovation are contained within Mr Sewell's five-page report). On completion, '441193' was sent to Ivan Dutton in the UK to be fully checked over, tuned and road tested, after which it remained, unused, in Herr Risken's private collection until 2003. Concluding his '03 report, David Sewell described '441193' as 'a quite outstanding motor car, a truly superlative example of the Type 44 which is widely regarded as the best of the Bugatti touring models. A very great deal of money has been spent some years ago to return it to virtually as-new condition throughout, both mechanically and cosmetically, since when it has hardly, if ever, been driven.'
    In May 2003 the car passed into the ownership of Dr Christopher Essen and was allocated the age-related UK registration 'UAS 803'. Dr Essen participated for one day during the International Meeting in the UK in 2004 when the car won the Taylor Trophy at the BOC Concours at Prescott. While in Dr Essen's ownership the car was mechanically overhauled (towards the end of 2004) by Malcolm Gentry, the brakes, transmission, rear axle, instruments and crankshaft damper all receiving attention. Chassin made new front springs; John Marks of Vintage Restorations restored the instruments and Eddie Heasell rebuilt the dynamo.
    '441193' was sold in June 2007 to the present owner, living in the South of France, and in May 2009 completed the Bugatti International Rally, covering 800 kilometres through the Tuscan countryside without incident. Offered with sundry restoration invoices and UK Swansea V5 registration document, '441193' represents a wonderful opportunity to acquire an outstandingly original, fully restored and well sorted Type 44 boasting one of Jean Bugatti's most celebrated coachwork designs.
Activities
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Like the vast majority of auctioneers Bonhams charge what is known as a Buyer's Premium. Buyer's Premium on all Automobilia lots will adhere to Bonhams group policy:

25% up to £50,000 of hammer price,
20% from £50,001 to £1,000,000 of hammer price,
and 12% on the balance thereafter. This applies to each lot purchased and is subject to VAT.

For Motor Cars and Motorcycles a 15% Buyer's Premium is payable on the first £50,000 of the final Hammer Price of each Lot, and 12% on any amount by which the Hammer Price exceeds £50,000. VAT at the standard rate is payable on the Premium by all Buyers, unless otherwise stated.

Some lots may be subject to VAT on the Hammer Price. These lots will be clearly marked with the relevant symbol printed beside the lot number in the catalogue.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Similar Items