1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471

This lot has been removed from the website, please contact customer services for more information

Lot 128
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre
Registration no. Am2678 Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471

€ 1,800,000 - 2,400,000
US$ 1,900,000 - 2,500,000
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre
Registration no. Am2678
Chassis no. 471
Engine no. 471
Ex-Ettore Bugatti, Le Mans et Mont Ventoux

Bugatti 5 litres 1912, voiture de courses à chaîne

En 1910, alors âgé de 28 ans, Ettore Bugatti met un terme à sa collaboration avec Deutz à Cologne. Il s'installe en Alsace, à Molsheim, dans une ancienne usine de teinture où il commence à fabriquer ses propres voitures. Il emmène avec lui un prototype de voiturette 1 208 cm3 qu'il a mis au point dans son atelier de Cologne, et qui va devenir le premier "pur-sang" Bugatti, le Type 10. Un autre prototype plus puissant fait partie de ses bagages, une cinq litres à trois soupapes en tête par cylindre (deux admission, une échappement) et transmission par chaîne. Il a confirmé plus tard au Colonel Giles, du Bugatti Owners Club, avoir commencé la réalisation de cette voiture en 1908. Bugatti a piloté une cinq litres au "Prince Henry Trial" en 1910 et il y a de fortes présomptions qu'il ait utilisé ce moteur dans un châssis Deutz. La voiture de Bugatti n'apparaît dans sa forme finale que deux ans plus tard. S'agissant de sa propre voiture de course, elle n'est pas destinée à la production et il attend donc que sa nouvelle société soit constituée pour développer ce prototype.
En 1912, Bugatti engage cette cinq litres à chaîne, équipée d'une carrosserie biplace légère — reconnaissable à sa pointe arrière — lors d'une épreuve au Mans, puis lors de la course de côte du Mont Ventoux où il décroche la première place de sa catégorie et la quatrième au général. L'histoire de cette voiture importante, châssis numéro 471, a été en grande partie confirmée lorsque Peter Hampton l'a cédée à Nigel Arnold-Foster, en 1974.
Le numéro 471 est frappé sur un des supports moteur arrière et il a toujours été considéré que ce châssis correspondait à la voiture à pointe arrière pilotée par Ettore Bugatti au Mont-Ventoux, en 1912. Les registres d'usine de Hugh Conway montrent clairement qu'il s'agit de la première des cinq Bugatti cinq litres (et par conséquent trois exemplaires avant le numéro 474, "Black Bess", vendue récemment par Bonhams à Rétromobile pour 2 427 500 €), et la seule à avoir été produite en 1912. Nigel Arnold-Foster a minutieusement reconstruit la voiture, opération relatée en détails dans "Bugantics", été 1977, Vol 40 N°2.

Les dimensions alésage x course de 100 x 160 mm du moteur donnent une cylindrée de 5 027 cm3. Il comporte un vilebrequin à cinq paliers et un arbre à cames en tête entraîné par un arbre vertical à l'avant du moteur et qui commande, pour chaque cylindre, deux soupapes d'admission et une d'échappement. L'embrayage multidisque, typique d'une conception Bugatti, a été perfectionné pour Deutz et la boîte Bugatti à quatre rapports est une véritable œuvre d'art. La transmission finale par chaîne est pratiquement identique à celle conçue pour Deutz, à part le remplacement des ressorts semi-elliptiques par des quart-elliptiques inversés, un classique Bugatti mais qui ne sera pas utilisé avant 1913 sur les voitures de production. Un frein sur la transmission a été installé derrière la boîte de vitesses, ainsi qu'un frein à main agissant sur les roues arrière qui accueillent des pneus à talon de 820 x 120 mm.

Le châssis n°471 reste à Molsheim jusqu'à la déclaration de guerre en 1914, quand Ettore Bugatti la cède à son Altesse Royale le Duc de Bavière, qui remplace alors la caisse course par une carrosserie tourisme. Pendant les années 1920, la voiture passe entre les mains de Bruno Martinelli, de Chiasso, un champion motocycliste suisse qui va se tuer en 1936 lors d'une course à Genève. Le passionné de Bugatti le Colonel Giles en fait alors l'acquisition, alors qu'il possède déjà le châssis n°474, voiture de Roland Garros surnommée "Black Bess". Les deux voitures deviennent ensuite propriété de Peter Hampton, qui par la suite cède la n°471 à Nigel Arnold-Foster.

Pour la reconstruction fidèle, une copie détaillée de la carrosserie course de 1912 a été réalisée, en conservant le radiateur et le capot d'origine, peints en noir avec siège recouvert de cuir vert. Lors de la restauration, le système de graissage du moteur par huile perdue a été identifié comme un point faible et a donc été remplacé par un système sous pression et carter sec, en ne modifiant aucune des pièces originales du moteur.

Une fois terminée, la voiture a participé à de très nombreuses manifestations, aussi bien au Royaume-Uni qu'en Europe continentale, y compris la montée du Mont-Ventoux. En 1981, lors de l'épreuve de speed-trial du Vintage Sports-Car Club à Colerne, elle a été chronométrée à 173 km/h, et elle détient toujours le record de la montée de Prescott, dans la catégorie Edwardian. Le moteur offre un couple énorme, permettant à la voiture de rouler facilement à une vitesse de croisière de 130-140 km/h. Pour paraphraser un article écrit par Sandy Skinner pour Bugantics, après avoir piloté cette voiture historique, "elle est très maniable et va exactement où on la mène. Le couple à bas régime se poursuit, sans qu'on en perçoive les limites, accompagné de l'excitant grondement puissant de l'échappement... Elle est complètement utilisable, et vraiment magnifique."

Plus récemment, la voiture a monté pour la deuxième fois en 2009 la côte du Festival of Speed de Goodwood où elle a été extrêmement remarquée. Elle a également fait l'objet d'un article dans "Classic & Sports Car" où elle a répondu sans faiblesse aux attentes. Le 12 septembre 2009 l’auto est invitée à participer à la très select et prestigieuse manifestation pour le centenaire de la marque à Molsheim. Cette n°471 est la plus ancienne Bugatti de course connue. Il s'agit d'un magnifique exemple de voiture de course du début du siècle, offrant des performances exceptionnelles. Il est particulièrement significatif qu'elle ait été la voiture de course personnelle du grand Ettore Bugatti lui-même.

Bibliographie
Bugantics - Eté 1977, Vol. 40, N°2
Automobile Quarterly, Fourth Quarter 1979, Vol XVII, N°4


The ex-Ettore Bugatti, Le Mans & Mont Ventoux racing car
1912 5 LITRE CHAIN DRIVE BUGATTI RACING CAR

In 1910, aged 28, Ettore Bugatti resigned his position at the Deutz works in Cologne and moved to Alsace renting an old dye works in Molsheim where he began making his own automobiles. He took with him a prototype car of 1,208cc which he had built in his basement workshop in Cologne and which was to become the first Pur Sang Bugatti, the Type 10. He also brought with him another much more powerful car, a five-litre overhead valve design with three valves per cylinder (two inlet, one exhaust) and chain drive, which he later confirmed to Colonel Giles of the Bugatti Owners Club he had started building in 1908. Bugatti once drove a five-litre car in the 1910 Prince Henry Trial and there is strong evidence that he had used this engine in a Deutz chassis. Bugatti's car did not appear in its final form for another two years as it was his own competition car and therefore not intended for production. He had to wait for a while until his new company was established before it could be developed.
In 1912 Bugatti drove his five-litre chain-driven car, equipped with an aerodynamic cowled two seater bodywork - distinguishable by its pointed tail - in a race at Le Mans and later at the Mont Ventoux Hill Climb where he won his class and finished fourth overall. The history of this important car, number 471 was largely confirmed when Nigel Arnold-Forster took over ownership from Peter Hampton in 1974.
The number of 471 is stamped on the near-side rear engine mounting and it had always been believed that this was indeed the pointed tail racing car driven by Ettore at Mont Ventoux in 1912. The Hugh Conway factory records make it clear that this is the first of the five-litre cars (and therefore three earlier than "Black Bess" number 474, recently sold by Bonhams at Rétromobile 2009 for € 2,427,500) and the only one to have been made in 1912. Nigel Arnold-Forster painstakingly rebuilt the car and this is fully recorded in "Bugantics", Summer 1977, Vol 40 No. 2.

The engine has a bore and stroke of 100x160mm. giving a capacity of 5,027cc and uses a five bearing crankshaft and an overhead camshaft driven off the front of the engine by a vertical shaft operating two inlet and one exhaust valve per cylinder. Totally enclosed, the whole design is remarkable for its period and has more in common with the Grand Prix Bugattis of the Twenties than the contemporary Bugatti production car engines. The multi-plate clutch of typical Bugatti design had been perfected for Deutz and the Bugatti designed four-speed gearbox is a work of art in itself. The final drive by chain is virtually identical to the design for Deutz except that the semi-elliptic springs were replaced by reversed quarter elliptics, a classic Bugatti feature but not used for production cars until 1913. A transmission brake was fitted to the rear of the gearbox and a handbrake for the rear wheels which are of the beaded edge type fitted with 820x120mm tyres.

471 stayed at Molsheim until the outbreak of war in 1914 when Bugatti sold it to HRH The Duke of Bavaria who removed the pointed tail racing body and replaced it with a touring body. During the twenties the car passed to Bruno Martinelli of Chiasso, a Swiss champion motor cycle racer who was killed in 1936 at a race in Geneva. The car was then bought by infamous British Bugatti afficionado Colonel Giles (who at that time owned 474, the Roland Garros car known by then as "Black Bess"). Both cars subsequently became the property of C.W.P. Hampton who later parted with 471 to Nigel Arnold-Forster.

The exacting rebuild included making a detailed copy of the original 1912 competition body but retaining the original radiator and bonnet, finished in black with green leather seat. Only one weak point of the original engine was noted during the rebuild, namely the lubrication system which was of the total loss type. This was therefore changed to a pressure fed dry sump installation without modifying any original part of the engine.

Once completed it was actively campaigned in various events both in the UK and on Continental tours, including the Mont Ventoux Hill Climb. At the 1981 Vintage Sports-Car Club Speed Trial at Colerne it was timed at 108mph whilst it still holds the Edwardian class record at The Vintage Prescott Hill meeting. The engine produces a massive amount of torque and the car will cruise effortlessly at 80-90mph. To paraphrase an article written by Sandy Skinner for Bugantics, having driven this great car, "It is enormously tweakable.....and goes exactly where it is pointed. The torque at low revs continues, seemingly unendingly, with a marvellous rising boom from the exhaust...it is totally manageable and quite magnificent."

More recently the car was driven ‘up the hill’ for the second time at the 2009 Goodwood Festival of Speed where it attracted a great deal of interest and featured in a ‘Classic and Sports Car’ magazine feature test where it performed faultlessly. On September 12th 2009 the car has been invited to join the prestigious line up of very special cars at the Molsheim headquarters for the marque’s centenary celebrations. No.471 is the oldest known racing Bugatti and indeed a magnificent example of an Edwardian racing car, having exceptional performance, and is significant in that it was the personal competition car of the great man himself.
Literature
Bugantics - Summer 1977, Vol 40, No.2
Automobile Quarterly, Fourth Quarter 1979, Vol XVII, No.4
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
1912 Bugatti T16 5 litre  Chassis no. 471 Engine no. 471
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Like the vast majority of auctioneers Bonhams charge what is known as a Buyer's Premium. Buyer's Premium on all Automobilia lots will adhere to Bonhams group policy:

25% up to £50,000 of hammer price,
20% from £50,001 to £1,000,000 of hammer price,
and 12% on the balance thereafter. This applies to each lot purchased and is subject to VAT.

For Motor Cars and Motorcycles a 15% Buyer's Premium is payable on the first £50,000 of the final Hammer Price of each Lot, and 12% on any amount by which the Hammer Price exceeds £50,000. VAT at the standard rate is payable on the Premium by all Buyers, unless otherwise stated.

Some lots may be subject to VAT on the Hammer Price. These lots will be clearly marked with the relevant symbol printed beside the lot number in the catalogue.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

App