The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602

This lot has been removed from the website, please contact customer services for more information

Lot 149
The ex-Victor Derrington, 1927 Salmson Grand Prix
Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602

€ 230,000 - 280,000
US$ 260,000 - 310,000
The ex-Victor Derrington
1927 Salmson Grand Prix
Chassis no. GP602
Engine no. VAL28037/602
Colour: Black with matching leather interior

Cylinders: 4: 1,086cc
Gears: 4 + reverse
Power: 80-85bhp approximately
Produced: 1927-1930
Production: 18

The French Société Des Moteurs Salmson was a pioneering force in the development of aircraft and aero-engines. Indeed, many historians consider Salmson’s as the most notable of the radial aero-engines produced during WWI. In 1918 the company produced over 3,200 Sal2-A2 biplanes, fitted with their own 9-cylinder 270hp engine. At this time, the workforce of 9,000 could produce 700 aero-engines, 1,500 magnetos, and 300 complete aircraft each month.

When war was over, Salmson diversified into other activities including manufacturing machine tools and automobile bodies, and from 1919 onwards produced a lightweight cyclecar - a built-under license GN - of which several thousand were made. The first of Salmson’s own designs appeared in 1921. The work of Émile Petit, this featured a cyclecar-type chassis, shaft drive and a differential-less back axle, and was powered by a 1,100cc overhead-valve four. A St Andrew’s Cross radiator motif made the little Salmson instantly recognisable and the firm was unusual in producing almost every component of the car itself, including the magneto. Competition successes, most notably 1st, 2nd and 4th place finishes in the 1921 Boulogne Races, came early.
From 1922 Salmson commenced production of a more advanced engine of the twin-overhead-camshaft type. This kind of power unit had been seen prior to WWI, but Salmson was the first to put one into series production and twin-overhead-camshaft engines would remain a fixture of its range into the 1950s. One of the most noteworthy types was the 1927 twin-supercharged straight eight, which is known to have inspired Vittorio Jano when he designed the fabulous Alfa-Romeo 2300 engine.
Also introduced in 1927 was the most famous of all racing Salmsons: the ‘Grand Sport/Grand Prix’ (GS-GP). 18 cars of this type were produced ‘for racing only’, of which only two complete examples are believed to exist today. First used by the works in 1926 and offered to customers for the first time in ’27, the GS-GP was the last of this particular series of racing Salmsons and featured the latest version of the ‘San Sébastian’ dohc engine that had already been seen in some examples of the preceding GSS and GSC models. (The ‘San Sébastian’ took its name from Salmson driver Georges Casse’s victory in the Cyclecar Grand Prix at the Spanish circuit in 1925). As fitted to the Grand Sport and Grand Prix models, this engine, equipped with a Cozette No. 8 supercharger and twin-plug ignition, produced around 80-85bhp at 4,000rpm, which was good enough for a top speed at Montlhéry of around 156km/h (97mph). Chassis features included a four-speed gearbox, four-wheel Perrot brakes and the differential-less back axle. Salmsons were the class of the field in the mid-1920s, winning countless voiturette races at international level including the Targa Florio 1,100cc class in 1926 and 1927.

The car offered here - chassis number ‘602’, the second built in the GS-GP limited series - was delivered new on 5th September 1927 to SMS-London (Salmson’s British agent) where it joined ‘605’, ‘606’ and ‘612’. In 1929 it was displayed at the Olympia Motor Show in London and bought on the stand by Victor Derrington, boss of V W Derrington Ltd. One of the pioneers of the performance conversion industry, Derrington had started in the motorcycle business and ended up supplying 90% of the market for the famous ‘Brooklands Can’ silencer that was mandatory at the Surrey racetrack from 1922 onwards. From racing motorcycles he graduated, via Morgan three-wheelers, to four wheels in the form of the Salmson. In his book, The History of Brooklands Motor Course, Bill Boddy, long-time editor of Motor Sport magazine, records the Light Car Club’s Relay Race held on 18th July 1932 in which Derrington’s team of one supercharged and two normally aspirated Salmsons finished second, the ‘blown’ car (‘602’) having lapped at around 87mph. Later that same year in the BARC’s August Junior Mountain Handicap, Derrington’s Salmson won at an average speed of 58.5mph.

Of the many cars Derrington owned, the Salmson was his greatest favourite and he kept it for many years. Never licensed for road use, the car was always stored indoors at his factory and looked after by trained mechanics led by Bugatti restorer Ivan Dutton’s father. The Salmson was later purchased by George Hampson, of Waverley, Surrey who is recorded as its owner when the car was first registered for the road as ‘127 PE’ in September 1971. In 1976 Mr Hampson sold the Salmson to Kent S Olsson and the car was registered in his wife’s name. When the car changed hands in 1976 it was as raced many years previously by Victor Derrington, essentially unchanged since the 1930s and still incorporating modifications made at that time, including the fitting of 19” well-base wheels instead of the beaded-edge originals. A lowered chassis, stiffened at the front, and a replacement GSAL7 crankcase are the only other changes recorded in the Salmson Register. A careful check up revealed the Salmson to be in very good mechanical condition and the car ran strongly.

The ex-Derrington Salmson was kept by the Olssons until 2003 when it passed to the vendor. While in the current ownership the car has been mechanically rebuilt by Novo Restauration Automobile, of Marolles-en-Hurepoix, France, famous Bugatti specialist with previous Salmson experience. The staggered two-seater coachwork and interior remain original.

Representing state-of-the-art Grand Prix engineering in its day, this wonderful Salmson is offered with a substantial file of history including its original (1971) logbook; (copy) old UK V5 and current V5C registration documents; (copy) Salmson Register entry; rebuild invoices and photographs (2003); various press cuttings and Salmson literature; period photographs; and assorted previous owner correspondence.

• Known history
• Ex-Brooklands car
• Recent mechanical rebuild
• Eligible for a wide variety of VSCC and other events
· One of 18 built



Ex-Victor Derrington
1927 Salmson Grand Prix

Châssis no. GP602
Moteur no. VAL28037/602
Couleur : Noir avec sellerie assortie

Nombre de cylindres : 4
Cylindrée : 1,086cc
Nombre de rapports : 4 + marche arrière
Puissance : 80-85ch
Années de production : 1927-1930
Production : 18

La Société Des Moteurs Salmson était une structure française innovante dans le secteur de l’aéronautique et notamment des moteurs. De nombreux historiens considèrent le moteur aéronautique radial Salmson comme le plus remarquable de la première guerre mondiale. En 1918, la marque produisait plus de 3 200 avions Sal2-A2 biplan équipés de leur moteur 9 cylindres de 270 ch. A cette époque, la main d’œuvre au nombre de 9 000, pouvait produire 700 moteurs, 1 500 magnétos et 300 avions complets chaque mois.

A la fin de la guerre, Salmson diversifia ses activités pour entreprendre la production de machines-outils, de carrosseries automobiles et à partir de 1919 des cyclecar légers vendus sous la licence GN dont plusieurs milliers furent construits. La première Salmson lancée en 1921 -résultat du travail d’Émile Petit- utilisait un châssis inspiré de ses cyclecar et un pont rigide, le tout mu par un moteur 4 cylindres de 1 100cc à soupapes en tête.

L’emblème que Salmson appliquait sur ses radiateurs était inspiré de la croix de St Andrew et rendit les modèles de la marque facilement reconnaissables. Salmson était inhabituel dans le sens où presque tous les composants de leurs voitures étaient faits en interne, y compris la magnéto.

Les succès en compétition ne tardèrent pas avec notamment une première, seconde et quatrième place aux courses de Boulogne en 1921.

A partir de 1922, Salmson commença la production d’une version plus aboutie de moteur à double arbre à cames en tête. Ce type de motorisation avait été vu avant la première guerre mondiale mais Salmson furent les premiers à en installer un dans un véhicule de série et cette particularité fut conservée dans les années 50. L’un des modèles les plus remarquables de la marque était équipé d’un moteur 8 cylindres à double compresseur qui fut une source d’inspiration pour Vittorio Jano lors de la conception du superbe moteur de l’Alfa Romeo 2300.

En 1927, le plus connu de tous les modèles de course Salmson fut lancé : la Grand Sport/Grand Prix (GS-GP). 18 exemplaires en furent construits pour une utilisation ‘course uniquement’ dont seulement 2 semblent avoir survécu dans leur intégralité. D’abord utilisée en 1926 par l’écurie officielle d’usine, la GS-GP fut proposée à la vente aux particuliers en 1927 pour devenir le dernier modèle course de ce type pour la marque. La GS-GP était équipée de la dernière version du moteur ‘San Sebastian’ à double arbre à cames en tête qu’on pouvait alors trouver sur certains modèles antérieurs de GSS ou GSC (l’appellation San Sebastian provient d’une victoire de George Casse au GP du même nom en Espagne en 1925)

Comme sur tous les modèles Grand Sport et Grand Prix, le moteur équipé d’un compresseur Cozette No. 8 et du double allumage produisait 80 à 85ch. à 4 000trs/min., suffisant pour atteindre une vitesse de pointe de 156km/h (97mph) à Montlhéry. Les caractéristiques techniques de la voiture comprenaient une boîte de vitesses à quatre rapports, des freins Perrots aux quatre roues et un pont sans différentiel. Salmson était la marque de référence dans sa classe au milieu des années 20 remportant de nombreuses victoires en course de voiturette et ce, à niveau international remportant notamment la classe 1 000cc à la Targa Florio en 1926 et 1927.

La voiture présentée ici est le châssis n.602 qui fut le second construit dans la série ultra-limitée des GS-GP ; elle fut livrée le 5 septembre 1927 à SMS-London (l’agent Salmson anglais) et y retrouva les voitures portant le châssis 605, 606 et 612. En 1929 elle fut exposée au Olympia Motor Show de Londres où elle fut acquise par Victor Derrington, patron de V W Derrington Ltd. Derrington commença son activité dans le domaine des motos pour finalement produire 90% des fameux silencieux ‘Brooklands Can’ obligatoires pour rouler sur le circuit de Surrey dès 1922.

From racing motorcycles he graduated, via Morgan three-wheelers, to four wheels in the form of the Salmson. In his book, The History of Brooklands Motor Course, Bill Boddy, long-time editor of Motor Sport magazine, records the Light Car Club’s Relay Race held on 18th July 1932 in which Derrington’s team of one supercharged and two normally aspirated Salmsons finished second, the ‘blown’ car (‘602’) having lapped at around 87mph. Later that same year in the BARC’s August Junior Mountain Handicap, Derrington’s Salmson won at an average speed of 58.5mph.

Parmi l’importante collection de véhicules de Derrington, la Salmson était une de ses favorites qu’il conserva longtemps. A l’époque jamais immatriculée pour une utilisation routière, la voiture était systématiquement stockée à l’intérieur de ses locaux et entretenue par des mécaniciens avertis sous la direction du père de Ian Dutton, le spécialiste de la restauration Bugatti. La voiture fut ensuite achetée par George Hampson de Waverley dans le Surrey qui l’immatricula pour la première fois en septembre 1971 portant la plaque ‘127 PE’. En 1976, Mr. Hampson vendit sa Salmson à Kent S. Olsson et la voiture fut immatriculée au nom de son épouse. Lors du changement de propriétaire en 1976, la voiture était dans la configuration course comme conduite par Victor Derrington, avec seuls quelques changements par rapport à ses spécifications d’origine : monte de roues 19 pouces à la place de roues originales. Aujourd’hui, les seuls changements enregistrés par le Registre Salmson sont : abaissement du châssis, rigidification de l’avant et un carter GSAL7.

Une inspection soignée a permis de rendre compte de l’état de cette Slamson qui est en très bonne condition mécanique et qui fonctionne bien.

Cette Salmson ex-Derrington fut conservée par les Olssons jusqu’en 2003 avant d’être acquise par le propriétaire actuel. Ce dernier a fait refaire le moteur par Novo Restauration Automobile,à Marolles-en-Hurepoix en France, un spécialiste Bugatti bénéficiant d’une bonne expérience sur le Salmson. La carrosserie bi-place et la sellerie sont quant à elles d’origine.

Digne représentante du savoir-faire Salmson en ingénierie de course automobile, cette voiturette vient avec un important dossier documentant son historique, son logbook d’origine (de 1971), une copie de ses anciens papiers d’immatriculation V5 anglais ainsi que l’actuel V5 et une copie de l’inscription au Registre Salmson. Viennent également des factures et des photos (datant de 2003), différents articles de presse et littérature sur Salmson, des clichés d’époque ainsi qu’une certaine quantité de correspondance entre les précédents propriétaires.

• Historique connu
• Ex-Brooklands
• Récente réfection mécanique
• Voiture éligible pour un large éventails de courses VHC et autres événements historiques


Copyright all photographs for lot 131: Serge Cordey
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
The ex-Victor Derrington,1927 Salmson Grand Prix  Chassis no. GP602 Engine no. VAL28037/602
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Like the vast majority of auctioneers Bonhams charge what is known as a Buyer's Premium. Buyer's Premium on all Automobilia lots will adhere to Bonhams group policy:

25% up to £50,000 of hammer price,
20% from £50,001 to £1,000,000 of hammer price,
and 12% on the balance thereafter. This applies to each lot purchased and is subject to VAT.

For Motor Cars and Motorcycles a 15% Buyer's Premium is payable on the first £50,000 of the final Hammer Price of each Lot, and 12% on any amount by which the Hammer Price exceeds £50,000. VAT at the standard rate is payable on the Premium by all Buyers, unless otherwise stated.

Some lots may be subject to VAT on the Hammer Price. These lots will be clearly marked with the relevant symbol printed beside the lot number in the catalog.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licenses please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

App