1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020
Lot 140
1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q
Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020
€500,000 - 600,000
US$ 550,000 - 660,000

Amended
Lot Details
1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020 1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020 1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020 1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020 1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020 1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020 1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020 1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020 1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q  Chassis no. 12020 Engine no. 12020
1905 10.6-litre Panhard & Levassor 50-hp Model Q
Coachwork by Double Phaeton carrosserie in the style of Henri Labourdette

Chassis no. 12020
Engine no. 12020
Few marques in the pioneering days of motoring had the cachet of Panhard & Levassor, which in the early 1890s had defined what was to be the accepted mechanical layout of the automobile for the best part of the next century – front engine driving the rear wheels through a multi-speed gearbox.
In terms of quality, the Panhard – for so it was familiarly known, even though Emile Levassor was the engineer who had guided the company’s design policy until his tragic death as the result of a motor racing accident in 1897 – had few equals. Indeed, in 1904 that matchless chronicler of the early motoring scene Filson Young wrote: “If you are a millionaire… you simply get the best and most expensive car on the market… The Mercedes and the Panhard cars still remain the ideal cars of the man to whom money is no object. They represent in that sense of the word the best that has yet been both achieved and proved in the building of motor-cars.”

And of the early 20th century Panhard range, the summit was the 50-hp, a chain-driven four-cylinder model displacing a massive 10.6-litres launched at the December 1904 Paris Salon and which, noted The Autocar, “is clearly being put upon the market to compete with the 60-hp Mercedes”. Its chassis followed typical Panhard practice in being a wooden frame with a substantial flanged steel flitch plate, while the T-head engine had four separate cast-iron 145x160mm cylinders with integral water jackets and the cone clutch was based on that used on the company’s successful racing cars, whose recent victories included the Vanderbilt Cup and the Circuit des Ardennes. The four-speed transmission featured direct drive on top gear and, apart from the crankshaft, ball bearings were used throughout.
The new model, which was submitted to the French Service des Mines for homologation in February 1905, made its English debut that month at the Olympia Show organised by the Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders. With a price tag of £1750 against the £2000 of the newly-introduced 70-hp Mercedes, the 50-hp Panhard was the second most expensive car on the British market. “It is,” wrote The Autocar, “one of the finest examples of high-powered cars in the show. There scarcely seems to be a superfluous part in it, and its strong, simple design is much appreciated after comparing it with some of the big cars, which are too often needlessly complicated and inaccessible.”

Production of such a superlative automobile was necessarily exclusive, and the Panhard & Levassor ledgers record that just 79 examples of the 50-hp were built; the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain records only two survivors in its List of Veteran and Edwardian Vehicles.

The ledgers also confirm that this car, chassis number 12020, is a four cylinder 50hp Model Q fitted with four-speed type KI transmission that was supplied new to British “concessionaire exclusif” Harvey du Cros of 14 Regent Street, London, on 22 May 1905.
Just who its first owner might have been is unknown, though when found as a virtually-complete chassis in 1966 – apparently “rotting in a shed… [with] a skull and crossbones on the radiator” –by one D. Foster of Chertsey, Surrey, it was wearing the London registration plate “A-4505”, which contemporary photographs show to have also been worn by an earlier Panhard belonging to a Mr E.A.C. Lister, so it may be conjectured that he was the first owner and had transferred that registration to the newer car.

With restoration under way, the Panhard was submitted for dating to the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain. It was noted that its matching chassis and engine numbers were in accord with the 1905 series, but that a Claudel Hobson carburettor and non-standard manifolding were fitted. A dating of 1905 manufacture was confirmed.

Mr Foster restored the car and is known to have taken part in the Veteran Car Club’s Crystal Palace Rally in July 1967. The Panhard was subsequently offered for sale at a Sotheby’s auction at Earl’s Court on 15 May 1969, when it was bought for £3800 by noted veteran car sleuth Colin Crabbe. Crabbe fitted a limousine body that he had retrieved from a Scottish estate and that had adorned the Cowdray 60hp Mercedes, he recalled recently how potent and enjoyable to drive the car was, such that it had even been used as his wedding car! He later sold it to James Leake and so it crossed the Atlantic to this the first of a select group of American owners that were to follow.
In June 1976 it was offered at the James C. Leake Auction in the International Petroleum Building in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where it was acquired by a Mr. Vandergriff of Kansas City, Missouri, for $24,000; it was later the property of Willis Boyd and spent a brief period back in Europe in the Manx Motor Museum in the Isle of Man. The Panhard was subsequently acquired by Californian collector Rick Rawlins, who at one stage owned both of the recorded survivors of this model.

In the early 1990s the decision was taken to carry out a total restoration of the car, during which it was also decided to endow it with a faithful copy of a period Henri Labourdette double phaeton body, since it is known that a number of Type Q Panhards were bodied by that most stylish of coachbuilders for distinguished customers who included the racing driver Chevalier René de Knyff and motoring monarch King Alfonso XIII of Spain, who was photographed in the spring of 1907 speeding through the streets of Madrid in his 50-hp Panhard to attend the birth of his son and heir, the Prince of the Asturias.
Contemporary photographs and extensive research provided the necessary information to make this recreation of the finest 1905 coachwork as authentic as possible, while period hardware and accessories were carefully sourced to ensure accuracy down to the minutest detail. This exacting work was carried out by the renowned company Laidlaw Restoration of Murphys, California, USA and included the location and fitting of the correct Krebs carburettor and minor controls. A Victoria hood and windscreen for the rear seats and a majestic full set of nickel Ducellier acetylene lamps provided the finishing touch.

The result was nothing short of spectacular, and the car deservedly won a string of prestigious awards when it took to the concours circuits in the mid-1990s.

Without doubt the high point of these remarkable successes was the award of the French Cup, presented to the most significant French car at the annual Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Just over 10 years ago this magnificent automobile was acquired by that most discerning of collectors the late Otis Chandler for his growing collection of pre-Great War cars; it remained with him until his death in 2006, when it passed to the present owner. Since then, the car returned to Pebble Beach in 2007 where it was honoured in the special “10-plus Club” class for cars with engines displacing 10 litres or more.

Though the term was not coined for thirty years after this car was built, it is truly a supercar, perhaps the most dramatic Edwardian touring car ever to come to market.
For further information, this car is offered for sale in Europe under temporary import and local taxes will apply.

• 10.6 Litre, four cylinder, 50CV
• Exquisite concours restoration
• Former winner of the French Cup at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
• Ex-Otis Chandler



1905 Panhard & Levassor 10,6 litres 50 ch Modèle Q
Carrosserie Double Phaeton de Henri Labourdette

Châssis no. 12020
Moteur no. 12020

Peu de marques du temps des pionniers ont eu la notoriété de Panhard & Levassor, qui au début des années 1890 a défini ce qui devait être le standard mécanique de l’automobile d’une bonne partie du siècle futur – moteur placé en front entraînant les roues avant grâce à une boîte à plusieurs vitesses.
En termes de qualité, la Panhard – telle qu’elle était familièrement connue, même si Emile Levassor était l’ingénieur qui avait dirigé la politique de design de la société lorsqu’à son décès tragique lors d’un accident pendant une course de voitures en 1897 – a eu peu d’équivalent. En effet, en 1904, ce chroniqueur incomparable des premières aventures automobiles Filson Young écrivait : “Si vous êtes un millionnaire… Choisissez simplement la meilleure et plus chère voiture du marché… Les voitures de marque Mercedes et Panhard restent les modèles parfaits pour l’homme qui n’a aucun soucis financier. Elles représentent au vrai sens du terme le meilleur de ce qui a été réalisé et éprouvé dans la construction automobile.”
Au catalogue Panhard du début du 20ème siècle, le haut de gamme était représenté par la 50 ch, un modèle quatre cylindres à entraînement par chaîne affichant un imposant 10,6 litres lancé en décembre 1904 au Salon de Paris et qui, notait The Autocar, « est clairement présenté sur le marché pour concurrencer la 60 ch Mercedes. » Son châssis suivait le schéma habituel Panhard avec un cadre en bois renforcé de plaques en acier, tandis que le moteur à soupapes latérales en T avait quatre cylindres séparés en fonte de 145x160mm avec des chemises à eau intégrales et l’embrayage en cône était basé sur ce qui était utilisé sur les voitures de course compétitives de la société, dont les récentes victoires incluaient la Coupe Vanderbilt et le Circuit des Ardennes. La transmission à quatre vitesses disposait d’une commande directe et, sauf pour le vilebrequin, des roulements à bille étaient utilisés.
Le nouveau modèle, qui avait été soumis au service des Mines français pour homologation en février 1905, a fait ses début en Angleterre ce même mois à l’Olympia Show organisé par la Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders. Avec un tarif de £ 1 750 contre les £ 2 000 de la nouvelle Mercedes 70 ch, la 50 ch Panhard était la deuxième voiture la plus chère du marché britannique. « c’est » écrivait The Autocar, « un des plus beaux exemples de voitures puissamment motorisées du salon. Il semble n’y avoir aucune partie superflue, et son solide et simple design est encore plus appréciable après l’avoir comparé avec quelques-unes des grosses voitures, qui sont trop souvent inutilement compliquées et inaccessibles. »
La production d’une voiture aussi exceptionnelle était forcément exclusive, et les livres de reference sur Panhard & Levassor rapportent que seulement 79 exemplaires de 50 ch ont été construits. Le Veteran Car Club de Grande Bretagne ne recense que deux survivants dans sa « List of Veteran and Edwardian Vehicles ».
Les ouvrages confirment également que cette voiture, châssis numéro 12020, est une version quatre cylindres de la 50 ch Modèle Q monté avec une transmission quatre vitesses type KI qui a été livrée neuve au « concessionnaire exclusif » anglais Harvey du Cros au 14 Regent Street, à Londres, le 22 mai 1905.
Son premier propriétaire n’était pas connu, lorsqu’elle a été trouvée à l’état de châssis complet en 1966 – apparemment « en train de pourrir dans un abri … [avec] un crâne et des os disposés en croix sur le radiateur » – par un certain D. Foster de Chertsey, dans le Surrey. Elle portait la plaque d’immatriculation de Londres « A-4505 », dont des photos d’époque montre qu’elle a été aussi portée par une Panhard antérieure appartenant à un certain M. E.A.C. Lister, ce qui laisse penser qu’il était le premier propriétaire et avait transféré son immatriculation sur la voiture la plus récente.
En cours de restauration, la Panhard a été soumise au Veteran Car Club de Grande Bretagne pour être datée. Il a été constaté que les numéros de châssis et de moteur concordaient avec les séries de 1905, mais qu’un carburateur Claudel Hobson et qu’un collecteur qui n’était pas de série étaient adaptés. La date de fabrication de 1905 a bien été confirmée.

M. Foster a restauré la voiture et a participé au Rallye Chrystal Palace du Veteran Car Club en juillet 1967. La Panhard a été proposée par la suite à une vente aux enchères Sotheby’s in Earl’s Court le 15 mai 1969, où elle a été achetée £ 3 800 par le fameux dénicheur d’ancêtres Colin Crabbe. Crabbe a adapté une carrosserie de limousine qu’il avait trouvée dans une propriété écossaise et qui avait été montée sur la Mercedes 60 ch de Cowdray, il s’est souvenu récemment à quel point cette voiture était puissante et agréable à conduire, à tel point qu’il l’a même utilisée comme voiture pour son mariage ! Il l’a vendue plus tard à James Leake et c’est ainsi qu’elle a traversé l’Atlantique pour rejoindre un groupe élitiste de collectioneurs américains.
En juin 1976, elle a été proposée à la vente aux enchères James C. Leake dans l’International Petroleum Building à Tulsa, dans l’Oklahoma, où elle a été acquise par un M. Vandergriff de Kansas City, dans le Missouri, pour $ 24 000. Elle a été par la suite la propriété de Willis Boyd et elle est revenue une brève période en Europe dans le Manx Motor Museum de l’Ile de Man. La Panhard a été ensuite achetée par le collectionneur californien Rick Rawlins qui, à un moment, a eu en sa possession les deux seuls survivants recensés de ce modèle.
Au début des années 1990, la décision a été prise de procéder à une restauration totale de la voiture, durant laquelle il a été également décidé de faire réaliser une copie fidèle de la carrosserie « Double Phaeton » de Henri Labourdette. En effet il était connu qu’une quantité de Panhard Type Q avait été construite par ce carrossier renommé pour des clients fortunés dont le pilote de course Chevalier René de Knyff et le roi Alphonse XIII d’Espagne, monarque passionné d’automobiles, qui a été photographié au printemps 1907 roulant à vive allure dans les rues de Madrid au volant d’une 50 ch Panhard pour assister à la naissance de son fils et héritier, le prince des Asturies.
Des photos d’époque et une recherche approfondie ont fourni les informations nécessaires pour réaliser une copie aussi authentique que possible de cette carrosserie de 1905, tandis que le matériel et les accessoires d’époque ont été soigneusement retrouvés pour rester le plus conforme à l’origine même dans les moindres détails. Ce travail de précision a été effectué par la société renommée Laidlaw Restoration of Murphys en Californie, et a inclus la fourniture et le montage du carburateur Krebs d’origine ainsi que de légères mises au point. Une capote Victoria, un pare-brise pour les sièges arrière et un ensemble de lampes à acétylène Ducellier en nickel a apporté la touche finale à ce remarquable travail.
Le résultat a été tout simplement spectaculaire, et la voiture a gagné à juste titre une série de trophées prestigieux lors de sa participation à des concours au milieu des années 90.
Sans aucun doute, l’apothéose de ces succès a été le trophée de la French Cup, qui l’a consacrée comme la voiture la plus importante du concours d’élégance annuel de Pebble Beach. Il y a tout juste dix ans, cette automobile magnifique a été achetée par le plus sagace des collectionneurs Otis Chandler pour sa grandissante collection de voitures d’avant la Grande Guerre. Il l’a conservée jusqu’à sa mort en 2006, lorsqu’elle est passée dans les mains de son propriétaire actuel. Depuis, la voiture est retournée à Pebble Beach en 2007 où elle a été honorée dans la catégorie du « 10-plus Club » réservée aux voitures disposant d’un moteur de 10 litres et plus.
Bien que le terme n'ait été inventé que trente années après la construction de cette voiture, il s’agissait vraiment d’une « supercar », peut-être la plus spectaculaire des voitures de tourisme Edwardiennes jamais proposée sur le marché.
À titre d’information supplémentaire, cette voiture est proposée à la vente en Europe sous importation provisoire et les taxes locales s’appliquent.

• 10,6 litre, 4 cylindres, 50CV
• Restauration des plus rigoureuses et conforme au plus haut standard des concours d'Elegance
• Déjà gagnante de la "French cup" lors du concours d'Elegance de Pebble Beach
• Voiture ayant fait parti de la fameuse Collection Otis Chandler

Saleroom notices

  • Should this vehicle remain in the European Union then Import Taxes will be payable by the buyer. Si ce véhicule reste dans l'Union Européenne l'acheteur devra régulariser des taxes d'importation.
Activities
Auction information

This sale is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future sales, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this sale, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Like the vast majority of auctioneers Bonhams charge what is known as a Buyer's Premium. Buyer's Premium on all Automobilia lots will adhere to Bonhams group policy:

25% up to £50,000 of hammer price,
20% from £50,001 to £1,000,000 of hammer price,
and 12% on the balance thereafter. This applies to each lot purchased and is subject to VAT.

For Motor Cars and Motorcycles a 15% Buyer's Premium is payable on the first £50,000 of the final Hammer Price of each Lot, and 12% on any amount by which the Hammer Price exceeds £50,000. VAT at the standard rate is payable on the Premium by all Buyers, unless otherwise stated.

Some lots may be subject to VAT on the Hammer Price. These lots will be clearly marked with the relevant symbol printed beside the lot number in the catalogue.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Similar Items