By order of the Executors of the late Lord David Strathcarron 1903 Georges Richard Type H 10hp Twin Cylinder Two Seater Brougham Registration no. to be advised Chassis no. H 288 Engine no. 1215B
This absolutely unique 1903 Georges Richard is probably one of the most photographed cars to participate in the annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run, having been actively campaigned in that event since acquisition by that great motoring enthusiast and motoring writer, the late Lord David Strathcarron in 1962. The car was acquired by Veteran Car Club stalwart, F E Davis, in the 1950s from South Devon, at that time in a forlorn state and fitted with an Edwardian Austin engine. In 1957 it passed to fellow VCC member Michael Wilcock of Worthing who in turn sold it to G M Jeffreys of Hertfordshire before the car passed to Lord Strathcarron some 44 years ago. When found the car consisted of little more than a substantially complete rolling chassis, however prior to acquisition by Lord Strathcarron extensive renovation had been carried out. Correspondence on file confirms that the great majority of the chassis detail was Georges Richard and, in the absence of availability of a suitable Georges Richard engine, the Veteran Car Club approved the fitting of a 10hp, twin-cylinder, De Dion Bouton engine. A Brougham body, believed to date from 1895 and to be of Thrupp & Maberly manufacture, had been located and found to fit the chassis well, creating one of the snuggest and most comfortable cars for the annual pilgrimage to Brighton. During the ownership of David Strathcarron the Georges Richard regularly took part in the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run failing to finish on just one occasion. Many finishers plaques covering that ownership are offered with the car together with a good quantity of finishers pennants. The Brougham coachwork is superbly coach painted in maroon livery with gold coachlining. The interior is upholstered in deep buttoned brown leather, most of which we feel is original and has stood well the test of time. The side windows operate on railway carriage drop-down principles. The car is equipped with brass P&H oil side lamps, an oil rear lamp, a rear view mirror and a bulb horn together with a flower vase to the interior. A useful rear box compartment provides carrying space for the Brighton Run essentials. The car carries a Veteran Car Club Dating Plate and is offered with Dating Certificate no.726, issued in July 1957. The power unit is the aforementioned De Dion Bouton twin-cylinder engine with atmospheric inlet and mechanical exhaust valves, the unit having a bore and stroke of 90 x 110mm, giving a capacity of 1,400cc and therefore making this a particularly nimble Brighton car, the three-speed gearbox enabling even the notorious Clayton Hill to be ascended with ease. The car comes with considerable correspondence from the 1950s when previous owners were researching its history, together with old style buff log book dating from 1957 and some invoices for work carried out, including the manufacture of new half shafts and attention to the rear axle in more recent years. This car was chosen for exhibition in The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu for many years. This Georges Richard is entered for the 2006 London to Brighton Veteran Car Run and comes with a purpose-built trailer which can be collected from the Executors by arrangement. The S 27 registration number which the car has notably carried in recent years is a family number and part of a series of similar numbers owned by the family and is therefore being retained. It is hoped that a new age-related number can be advised at the time of the sale. The car will be offered with a current road fund licence and recently issued MoT certificate.