1935 MG Magnette K3 Replica
Registration no. MG 2769
Chassis no. K0322
Engine no. 513AK
The K3 Magnette must rank in the history books as the most famous and successful of all the record breaking MGs. With only 33 examples produced during 1933 and 1934 this car alone gave an incredible boost to the marque and established MG firmly in the forefront of the world motor racing and record breaking league. - Richard Monk, The MG Collection.
The K series of Magnette sports cars was announced at the London Motor Show in 1932, the racing K3 being based on the short-wheelbase chassis of the two-seater K2 roadster. The Ks used an overhead-camshaft six-cylinder engine similar to that of the existing Magna series, but downsized to 1,087cc to gain entry into racings 1,100cc Class G, success in which was considered vital by MG boss Cecil Kimber. For the K series, MGs long-stroke six received a cross-flow cylinder head, and in the K3s case induction was by means of a Power Plus supercharger driven off the crankshaft nose and fed by a single SU carburettor. Power - up to 120bhp could be obtained depending on the state of tune - was transferred to the road wheels via an ENV Wilson pre-selector gearbox.
During the winter of 1932/33, two K3 prototypes were tested - one on the Monte Carlo Rally and the other in Italy in preparation for the forthcoming Mille Miglia. One of the toughest challenges in motor sport, the latter had been dominated by Italian makes and a home victory in the 33 event was considered a foregone conclusion. Un-fancied MG entered a team of three K3s driven by Early Howe/Hugh Hamilton, George Eyston/Count Lurani and Henry Birkin/Bernard Rubin, confounding the pundits with an astonishing 1, 2 finish in their class as well as the team prize. This magnificent victory vindicated Kimbers decision to build the K3, which remained at the very top of its class in international motor racing for the next few years and today is one of the most sought after of all MGs.
According to the accompanying old-style logbook this car - a K1 or K2 - was first registered on 20th October 1933 with the number MG 2769. In 1956 the then red Magnette featured a 4-seater sports body and belonged to John Reginald Easterbrock. It was laid up in 1958 when owned by John Peter Thomas Green.
In the early 1980s the car was acquired by Rolf Ditter from Frankfurt, who started reconstruction to genuine K3 specification using original parts and calling on the knowledge of MG Magnette gurus Gunter Stamm and Gerhard Mayer. The reconstruction of the body and assembly of the chassis and mechanical components was carried out by Honeyfarm Restorations of Wathington, while trimming to original specification was done by Jim Pearce. MG 2769 is listed in the K3 Dossier by M F Hawke (MMM Register).
The car has all the goodies a real K3 should have: the correct engine is extremely smooth and nicety tractable even in normal road-traffic, although showing the bite of its supercharged power when revved. The rare ENV pre-selector racing gearbox is a joy and the twin-lever brakes of the later K3 version not only look splendid but also do their job very well.
A real eye catcher, the car was driven regularly in long-distance events and proved reliable and fast. It the hands of the previous owner - a well-known figure in the Austrian and international historic vehicle scene - between 1990-1998, competing regularly in long-distance trials and hill-climbs. During this time the car has been developed to perfection and become a regular winner in its class. Events contested during the 1990s include the Classic Supercup (Austria), Klansen Rennen Memorial, Ecce Homo Sternberg, Ennstal Classic, Austrian Historic Racing Championship, Millennium Rally and Planai Winter Classic.
Re-restored in 1990/92, the vehicle last ran two years ago and was last MoTd for the road in 2000. Finished in British Racing Green with matching two-tone leather interior, it comes with spare fishtail exhaust and is offered with history file, FIVA Identity Card, FIA Passport (D-Classic, Racing Car-Sportscar), Austrian racing papers and Swansea V5 registration document.