1967 Lamborghini 400GT 2+2 Coupe
Coachwork by Carrozzeria
Chassis no. 01276
Engine no. 1475
3,939cc DOHC V12 Engine
6 Weber Carburetors
320bhp at 6,500rpm
5-Speed Manual Transaxle
4-Wheel Independent Suspension
4-Wheel Hydraulic Disc Brakes*Delivered new to the United States
*Excellent entry for the Copperstate 1000 or Tour Auto
*Well known history
*One of 224 400 GT's madeTHE LAMBROGHINI 400GT
The story goes that Ferruccio Lamborghini, a self-made millionaire and manufacturer of farm equipment, wasn't happy with the clutch of his new Ferrari and went to personally see none other than Enzo Ferrari, to whom he made suggestions on how to improve his legendary car, Italy's national treasure. When he was summarily tossed out of the Maestro's office, Ferruccio became intent on building his own car.
He did so in 1963, when the newly formed company of Lamborghini launched its V-12 powered 350GT at the prestigious Turin Auto Show to rave reviews. Producing a stunning 350hp, the all-aluminum, short stroke engine featured four cams and a crankshaft supported by seven main bearings. It would serve as the prototype for all future Lamborghini engines.
The 350GT was offered to the public in 1964, and over 130 cars were sold. Following with the success of the 350, the company then produced the 400GT and the 400 GT 2+2, the latter seen here. The 400's engine was enlarged to 3929cc increasing the power to 320bhp while the 400GT 2+2 body, designed by Carrozzeria
Touring, also differs from the 350GT, featuring a longer wheelbase, different roofline, and sheetmetal changes throughout the car. The larger body shape enabled the '+2' seating to be installed in the rear. The 400GT 2+2 also employs a Lamborghini designed gearbox, with Porsche style synchromesh on all five gears, which greatly improved the drivetrain. THE MOTORCAR OFFERED
Bonhams is delighted to offer this 400GT for the third time in the past two decades. This particular car, resplendent in azzuro notte
or Midnight Blue with a complementing senape
(natural mustard) pigskin leather interior, is documented as the 224th of the total production run of 247, and was completed on December 5, 1967, at the Sant'Agata factory, the car subsequently imported to the East Coast by Lamborghini distributor Jake Kaplan in Providence, Rhode Island. The Lambo would soon head south to Florida, where it resided in the garage of Clifton Howell in Winter Haven until January 18, 1974, when copies of the original Bill of Sale show it was sold to Alexander Patch of Fort Lauderdale, Florida for the princely sum of $5,500.
In July 1987, after a mechanical, cosmetic, and interior restoration, this car was awarded First Place in judged concours held at the Pocono Raceway, the achievement repeated at the New Hope, Pennsylvania event and at the Washington Congressional Concours d'Elegance in May 1988, where it also won 'Best of Show' for all European cars. Then again in 1996, after being driven to the Lime Rock, Connecticut Vintage Fall Festival, it was awarded the "distance" trophy and was spotlighted on ESPN's coverage of the event. Attesting to its excellent condition, Lamborghini factory Chief Test Drive, Valentino Balboni, after taking it through several spirited laps in 1998, remarked, "The old girl is a beautiful joy with lots of tricks left in her."
In spring 2000, following its completion of the VSCCA New York-New Jersey Tour, it underwent a complete mechanical and cosmetic freshening at Exoticars USA in Frenchtown, New Jersey, including having its seats re-upholstered in pigskin hides from Lamborghini's original Italian supplier. In 2002/2003, Exoticars also completed a total rebuild of the engine top-end with new valves, seals, and guides, distributor, and ignition parts.
The "1276" car, after its purchase by its penultimate owner at the Bonhams Brookline Auction in May 2003
, was the subject of a further $50,000 of mechanical improvements, including rebuilt suspension, new shocks, new brakes, and calipers, rebuilt gearbox, rebuilt heater box, as well as re-wiring. Records of the work completed by the penultimate and antepenultimate owner, unfortunately, no longer accompany the vehicle.
Acquired by the current owner at Bonhams 2008 Quail Lodge Auction
, the car has been on static display since acquisition. Given its 14 years of disuse, mechanical recommissioning is recommended prior to taking it out on the road for a rip. Showing 70,365 miles — a figure that is understood to be from new, it still shows quite well overall. A fabulous machine with which to do any number of touring events or local drives, once sorted it will undoubtably bring joy to its new owner.
Rarely seen but highly coveted, an Islero like this one is an opportunity not to be missed!