431.9ci Side-Valve 4-Cylinder Engine
30bhp at 650rpm
Front and Rear Leaf Spring Suspension
Rear Mechanical Brakes
*'The Final Four' – highest serial number Model 30
*Well restored car, prepared and used for tours
*Handsome Toy Tonneau coachwork
*A usable car for Horseless Carriage Club events
THE PACKARD MODEL 30
Advances continued to be incorporated steadily in Packard automobiles, culminating in the introduction in 1907 of the Model 30, the first Packard to indicate its engine power in the model name. It was powered by a newly-designed T-head four-cylinder engine which rated 40hp under the ALAM system and was advertised by ever-conservative Packard as making 30 brake horsepower. With 5" bore and a long 5 1/2" stroke, the Model 30 was a strong, powerful 432 cubic inch engine adapted by Packard's designers to power the larger and more elaborate coachwork which its customers were increasingly specifying. For the same reason – and to make room for the new larger engine – the Model 30 also was offered in longer wheelbase chassis. Drive was through an unusual expanding band clutch and three-speed transmission to a live rear axle. Packard had abandoned transverse leaf spring suspension the previous year with the Model S and both the front and rear axles had semi-elliptical leaf spring suspension. Redundant braking on the rear wheels was provided by both expanding shoe and contracting band brakes.
The Packard Model 30 was an immediate success, with over 1,300 sold in the year of its introduction, 1907. Packard offered it with Touring, Limousine and Landaulette coachwork on a 122" wheelbase and as a lightweight, sporting Runabout or Gentleman's Roadster on a short 108" wheelbase. From that strong start, the model grew in stature and sales, with some 9,540 units through its production run from start to finish. Along the journey, the model was constantly refined and improved, but 1912 was its swansong year as it took its bow and let the new Six cylinder cars take over. Five years was certainly a good run though, particularly in this era when the automobile was consistently being developed and new ideas appeared from around the world that could quickly usurp the current technology, and it shows how good these cars were.
THE MOTORCAR OFFERED
Thanks to John Grundy's extensive and diligent work on the marque, the outline of the history of this car has been charted and is published on his Packards Online website. From that information, and comparison with surviving cars, it is understood that car 21171 is the newest serial number to have been delivered in the sequence for the Model 30 and is therefore assumed to be the last that was supplied by Packard, as such it is an important 'baton passer' or transitional car to the sixes that followed it.
As new, it is believed that the original owner of the car was the Detroit Fire Department, to whom it was supplied in 1912 and later rescued by the famed collector Barney Pollard Senior of Farmington, Michigan, as such it is thought that it would have carried similar bodywork when new as car number 15957 which survives today in the Detroit Historical Museums collection.
From Pollard Sr. it passed it to Pollard Jr. in the 1980s, then onto Jack Skaff of Grand Blanc, Michigan and after that to Dick Shaw. Mr Shaw retained the car through to 1984, when he sold it to Bob Erausquin of Swanton, Ohio, who after a dozen years parted with it to Howard Schaevitz. Mr. Schaevitz was already well on the way to building a numerical series of Packards by year, and this late '12 was a perfect conduit to the other Model 30s in his collection. By that stage, the car was very much a complete, but rolling chassis, its Fire Dept bodywork having been lost decades ago.
Mr Schaevitz elected to restore the Model 30 to its former glory and in preference to the standard factory coachwork decided to emulate the lightweight Toy Tonneau bodies by Holbrook. The rebuild was recounted in an article in Hemmings Classic Car, by David Traver Adolphus, under the appropriate heading of 'The Final Four'.
Tireless work on the project was ultimately completed just after the millennium and to test the car's mettle it was debuted on a Millard Newman Trans-Continental Reliability Tour from Clearwater, here in Florida up to Andover, Massachusetts. This was achieved, but the shake down lead to further work including the fitting of replacement cylinder jugs. Between those refinements and the fitment of a roadster rear axle, Mr. Schaevitz was able to dial the car into the ultimate touring car, adding a modern starter and even lighting in case an event ran into the night. It has become one of his 'go to' Packards for tours, and was used more recently on tours in Arizona as well as being shown at the 2016 edition of the Arizona Concours.
Although completed more than 2 decades ago, the Model 30 remains in extremely presentable order today. Housed in Arizona for a number of years now, when recently displayed at Bonhams Scottsdale auction in January the car was found to be 'on the button' and driving very nicely, with a reassuring and potent exhaust note!