Summer Refreshments / Marcel Duchamp (1887-1968); Boite Alerte, Missives Lascives Exposition inteRnatiOnale du Surrealism (EROS);
Sold for US$1,530 inc. premium
Submit your item online for a free auction estimate.How to sell
Our Prints & Multiples specialists can help you find a similar item at an auction or via a private sale.Find your local specialist
Contained in the box:
The catalogue of the exhibition, 144 pp. illustrated, ca. 230 copies.
I. Nine "Lascivious Missives":
- 1.Robert Benayoum, pink envelope containing "Le Corridor" illustrated in four parts.
- 2. Micheline Bounoure, yellow envelope "Soit Ardent en foret" containing original color composition.
- 3. Alain Joubert, pale green envelope containing "La Perle", text printed on four sheets.
- 4. Red Envelope '' Have you thought of giving a little blood '' containing a printed card.
- 5. (R. Benayoum), white envelope "Strictement personnel" containing an authorization to rewrite a text.
- 6. Octavio Paz, aerogram '' Huis Clos" '' containing "Edemira B." prints and a 1954 press clipping about sexual violence of a Bogota farmer on his semi-consenting wife.
- 7. Transparent envelope "Avis de Souffrance" containing an anonymous leaflet and letters of a sadist.
- 8. Andre Pieyre of Mandiargues, orange envelope "usage externe," containing a booklet entitled "La Maree," with erotic text.
- 9. Mimi Parent, black silk stocking with the words "Haut" printed on the top, contained in a white envelope with transparent window.
II.A telegram on pink paper by Marcel Duchamp writing as RROSE "a Vous chez Andre Breton ..."
III. A vinyl two-sided 45 record with recordings by: (A) side: J. Mansour, "The religious intoxication of big cities"; (B) side: Peret, "The gallant sheep."
IV. Six color postcards of Bellmer, Dali, Gorky, Miro, Svanberg, Clovis Trouille.
V. Three original lithographs signed by: Marie Toyen; Max Walter Svanberg; Adrien Dax and an original etching by Jacques Le Marechal.
Boite Alerte is a collection of works by different surrealist artists who contributed to this landmark show. The erotic content of many of the works is a sly reference to the acronym for the "Exposition inteRnatiOnale du Surrealism" or EROS
Galerie Marie de Beyrie, Paris
Renee Fotouhi Fine Art Ltd., New Rochelle
Thence by descent to the current owner
Please note: There is tape affixed to the separated bottom.