Matthew Girling is Global CEO of Bonhams. He is charged with raising the company's profile and business performance and taking the Bonhams brand forward to enable it to compete at the highest level.
In addition to his CEO role, Matthew is also Group Jewelry Director with overall responsibility for jewelry sales worldwide. With more than 30 years of experience working with precious stones and jewelry, Matthew is recognized as one of the world's top experts in his field and is regularly invited to be a keynote speaker/ jewelry expert at events ranging from jewelry trade fairs to the World Economic Forum in Davos.
During his career to date, Matthew has been responsible for a number of headline-grabbing sales. These have included:
• Auctioning the 5.30 carat fancy deep blue diamond which sold for £6.2 million in 2013, the current world record price per carat for any fancy deep blue diamond sold at auction. Matthew describes it as one of the most thrilling jewelry sales of his career so far.
• The sale of 'The Jewels from the Personal Collection of Princess Salimah Aga Khan' which sold for CHF 31,004,513 million in Geneva in November 1995.
• The sale of 'The Bird of Paradise Collection' which sold for CHF 13 million in Geneva in 1997.
• The sale of 'Exceptional Jewelry of Francoise Hermann' which sold at Bonhams in 2004 in Los Angeles for $6.2 million.
• The sale of 'Selected Jewels from the Collection of Barbara Taylor Bradford' which sold for £1 million in London in December 2013.
Matthew can often be seen on the Bonhams rostrum and is one of the company's principal and most experienced auctioneers.