Malcolm Barber will take to the rostrum at the second annual event at Mercedes-Benz World, Brooklands, on Tuesday 25th June to help raise money for two worthy causes
Bonhams is privileged to have been asked to once again conduct a charity auction in memory of the late son of ex-Formula 1 and 500cc motorcycle world champion John Surtees.
Henry Surtees, who was widely tipped as a star of the future, was tragically killed in a freak accident while driving in a Formula 2 event at Brands Hatch in July 2009.
An endurance kart race and auction at Mercedes-Benz World Brooklands on 4th July last year raised £54,000. Some £16,000 of that was achieved at a star-studded auction attended by the likes of ex-Formula 1 world champion Nigel Mansell and F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.
This year's auction in aid of the Brooklands Museum Trust and the Henry Surtees Foundation will include a six-person tour of the McLaren Technology Centre donated by McLaren Racing Ltd, a monthly supply of Kurt Geiger shoes, items of signed Formula 1 memorabilia, and the chance to secure a chauffeur-driven Maserati Quattroporte for the day.
Malcolm Barber, Group CEO and Managing Director of Bonhams, and the auctioneer who will sell the items, said: "I am delighted to once again be involved with this fantastic event which, as well as bringing together the great and good from the world of motorsport, raises money for two wonderful charities.
"The generosity of those who donate to this auction amazes me; the auction lots offer a great opportunity for enthusiasts and collectors to purchase unique memorabilia and once-in-a-lifetime experiences."
The auction will begin at approximately 6.30pm. To register a bid contact Helen Buckingham at Bonhams on 0207 468 5870 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Henry Surtees Foundation helps people with accidental brain and physical injuries, and provides education and training in technology, engineering and fitness.
Full list of lots in the Henry Surtees Foundation sale:
- Arai visor signed by Fernando Alonso and donated by Arai Helmets
- Bell visor from the Jordan team in the 2000 season with Deutsche Post / Buzzin Hornets (non-tobacco B&H) logos, signed by Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Jarno Trulli
- Michael Schumacher cap from his Championship-winning Ferrari 2000 season, hand-signed on the peak by the seven-time World Champion
- Ferrari jacket signed by John Surtees and donated by Ferrari Spa
- A children's Mercedes-Benz driving experience donated by Mercedes-Benz World
- Scalextrics Porsche 997 GT3 RS turbo flyers set donated by Hornby Hobbies Ltd
- Porsche 911 Carrera (1997) model donated by Mr Bernie Ecclestone
- Limited edition (50 copies) of the Mille Miglia Road Book 2010 from Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard with their personal comments and signed by David Coulthard. Also signed by all the Mercedes-Benz Ambassadors who took part in the 2011 Mille Miglia: Mika Hakkinen, Juan Manuel Fangio II, Giacomo Agostini, Jochen Mass, Klaus Ludwig, Roland Asch and Dieter Glemser. Donated by Daimler AG
- AMG key ring donated by Mr Bernie Ecclestone
- Sixty Years of Formula One, edition 26/60, with photos by Terry O'Neill, signed by Terry and by John Surtees, and donated by John Surtees
- Black and white framed photograph depicting John Surtees in Formula 2 Lola number 19 leading Sir Jackie Stewart at Silverstone in 1967. Signed by John and donated by the photographer
- Black and white framed photograph depicting John Surtees in Ferrari number 4 in practice for the International Trophy at Silverstone in 1966. Signed by John and donated by the photographer Nick Louden
- Black and white framed photograph depicting John Surtees in Honda number 7 in practice at Zandvoort 1968. Signed by John and donated by the photographer Nick Louden
- Black and white framed photograph depicting John Surtees in Team Surtees Formula 1 car at the Oulton Park Gold Cup in 1970, where he won the race. Signed by John and donated by the photographer Nick Louden
- A framed set of F1 stamps, signed
- A taster tour of the Bolney Estate Vineyard with wine tasting for two people (valid until August 2nd)
- One framed limited edition 'Legends' by Andy Falls print (1,000 copies) depicting Nigel Mansell CBE celebrating his victory in the 1991 British Grand Prix at Silverstone and giving Ayrton Senna a lift back to the pits. Includes printed signatures of Nigel Mansell CBE and Ayrton Senna with original signature of the artist. Donated by Headway Surrey
- Red Bull Racing Formula 1 Team cap signed by Sebastian Vettel, and a model of A1 Austria circuit by Wolf Mulini, both donated by Mr Bernie Ecclestone
- Marussia team rain jacket (size XL), 2012 team cap signed by Timo Glock and Charles Pic, Team lanyard, Spark 1/43 scale model of the 2010 car (boxed), a used gear ratio from the 2011 season with plexglass presentation mount, boxed, and Marussia Virgin Racing gear ratio from the 2011 car with presentation plexglass mount, boxed
- McLaren 2013 framed shirt signed by Jenson Button and Sergio Perez with Certificate of Authenticity, donated by McLaren Racing Limited
- Tour of the McLaren Technology Centre for six people, donated by McLaren Racing Limited
- Afternoon tea at The Savoy and private view of the Crown Jewels with the Queen's personal jeweller Mr Harry Collins
- Fernando Alonso 2013 Ferrari racing shirt with Certificate of Authenticity, donated by Ferrari Spa
- A pair of Felipe Massa's 2013 racing gloves with Certificate of Authenticity and a Ferrari jacket signed by John Surtees, both donated by Ferrari Spa
- A year's supply of ladies or men's Kurt Geiger shoes. Successful bidder chooses a pair of shoes from the website every month. Donated by Kurt Geiger Ltd
- A Brooklands day that money can't buy – fly Concorde with its last captain, enjoy the drinks and food of a Concorde menu, and drive the McLaren simulator on race tracks and banking. Donated by Brooklands Museum Trust
- Maserati Experience – a chauffeur driven Maserati Quattroporte available for the whole day in London to take you shopping, to the theatre or to your favourite restaurant. Maserati goodie bag containing items from the Maserati collection. Both donated by Maserati GB Ltd
- Lola T70 model signed by Eric Broadley and John Surtees, and donated by John Surtees
- Framed Celtic football jersey signed by striker Gary Hooper
NOTES FOR EDITORS
Bonhams, founded in 1793, is one of the world's largest auctioneers of fine art and antiques. The present company was formed by the merger in November 2001 of Bonhams & Brooks and Phillips Son & Neale. In August 2002, the company acquired Butterfields, the principal firm of auctioneers on the West Coast of America. Today, Bonhams offers more sales than any of its rivals, through two major salerooms in London: New Bond Street and Knightsbridge; and a further three in the UK regions and Scotland. Sales are also held in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Carmel, New York and Connecticut in the USA; and Germany, France, Monaco, Hong Kong and Australia. Bonhams has a worldwide network of offices and regional representatives in 25 countries offering sales advice and valuation services in 60 specialist areas. For a full listing of upcoming sales, plus details of Bonhams specialist departments go to www.bonhams.com