7 Nov 2012
Proceeds to bring smiles back to needy children in China
A rare and exclusive bottle of Glenfiddich Janet Roberts Reserve -1955-55 year old commemorating and celebrating the 110th birthday last year of the late Janet Sheed Roberts, granddaughter of William Grant – founder of the Glenfiddich distillery – will go under the hammer at the Bonhams Fine and Rare Wines, Cognac & Rarest Single Malt Whisky Auction in Hong Kong on 21 November 2012 at the Island Ballroom of the Island Shangri-la Hotel to raise funds for Operation Smile China Medical Mission. It is estimated to sell for between HK$360,000 – 420,000.
The cask was filled on New Year's Eve 1955 when wee Janie was 54. Since then, it has spent the last 55 years maturing in the darkness and chill of Warehouse 29 from 1955 to 2011. After maturation, there is precious little whisky left in refill butt no. 4222. Most has soaked into the barrel or evaporated and just 11 bottles were filled in November 2011 at 44.4% volume, one to celebrate each decade of her life. All 11 bottles will only be available at auction to raise money for charity.
Martin Green, Bonhams' whisky specialist based in Edinburgh, said of the whisky, "It is pale gold in color and has a light and delicate aroma of orange blossom and violets intermingling with notes of toasted almonds and the subtlest whiff of smoke. To the taste, creamy vanilla and a gentle smokiness are beautifully counterbalanced with some sweeter oak notes. A drop or two of water releases further zesty orange flavors and an incredible vibrancy."
The auction of bottle number 1 took place at the Bonhams Whisky Sale in Edinburgh on 14 December 2011. Bottle number 8, an auspicious number in China, will be sold in Hong Kong on 21 November 2012. The proceeds will go to Operation Smile China Medical Mission to fund free surgery and post operative care to needy children and young adults in China born with a cleft lip or cleft palate and help them regain their smiles in order to live healthy, normal lives.
For further press information please contact Mabel Au-Yeung on +852 9038 8939 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About William Grant & Sons and Glenfiddich
• William Grant & Sons, Ltd. is an independent family-owned distiller headquartered in the United Kingdom and founded by William Grant in 1886. Today, the luxury spirits company is run by the fifth generation of his family and distils some of the world's leading brands of Scotch whisky, including the world's favorite single malt Glenfiddich®, The Balvenie® range of handcrafted single malts and the world's fourth largest blended Scotch Grant's® as well as other iconic spirits brands such as Hendrick's® Gin, Sailor Jerry®, Milagro® Tequila and, most recently, Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey
• Gold Best in Class, International Wine & Spirits Competition 2011: Glenfiddich 15 Year Old, Glenfiddich Rich Oak & Glenfiddich 40 Year Old
• Gold, International Wine & Spirits Competition 2011: Glenfiddich 12 Year Old, Glenfiddich 18 Year Old, Glenfiddich 21 Year Old & Glenfiddich 30 Year Old
• Silver Best in Class, International Wine & Spirits Competition 2011: Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix
• Silver, International Wine & Spirits Competition 2011: Glenfiddich Age of Discovery
• Gold, Scotch Whisky Masters awards 2011, Speyside up to 18: Glenfiddich Rich Oak & Glenfiddich 15 Year Old
• Silver, Scotch Whisky Masters awards 2011, Speyside up to 25: Glenfiddich 21 Year Old & Glenfiddich Age of Discovery
• Master, Scotch Whisky Masters awards 2011, Speyside over 25: Glenfiddich 30 Year Old & Glenfiddich 40 Year Old
• Master, Scotch Whisky Masters awards 2011, Speyside special editions: Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix
About Operation Smile China Medical Mission
In China, about 1 in 600 children is born with a cleft lip, cleft palate, perhaps both. Although most clefts can be repaired through proper surgery, many families are unable to afford the cost, and their children face a lifetime of social and physical hardship. Fortunately, a one-hour surgery can change all this.
Operation Smile-China Medical Mission organizes volunteer teams of doctors and nurses to visit rural and mountainous regions in mainland China, providing surgery and post operative care at no fee to those who may not otherwise receive any care at all.
In the past 20 years, Operation Smile has helped over 22,000 needy children and young adults regain their smiles to live healthy, normal lives.
NOTES FOR EDITORS
Bonhams, founded in 1793, is one of the world's largest auctioneers of fine art and antiques. The present company was formed by the merger in November 2001 of Bonhams & Brooks and Phillips Son & Neale. In August 2002, the company acquired Butterfields, the principal firm of auctioneers on the West Coast of America. Today, Bonhams offers more sales than any of its rivals, through two major salerooms in London: New Bond Street and Knightsbridge; and a further three in the UK regions and Scotland. Sales are also held in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Carmel, New York and Connecticut in the USA; and Germany, France, Monaco, Hong Kong and Australia. Bonhams has a worldwide network of offices and regional representatives in 25 countries offering sales advice and appraisal services in 60 specialist areas. For a full listing of upcoming sales, plus details of Bonhams specialist departments go to www.bonhams.com