A pair of sliver sauceboats which belonged to one of the central figures in the history of cricket is to be auctioned at Bonhams Fine Silver Sale in London on 20 June. They are estimated at £3,000-4,000.
George Finch, the 9th Earl of Winchilsea was a cricket fanatic though not a particularly good player. He would travel anywhere to play the game and has the distinction of having taken part in more games than any other player in the 18th Century.
Finch and Col. Charles Lennox played for the White Conduit Club (WCC) on the open public spaces of White Conduit Fields in Islington. Seeking somewhere more private, the two men commissioned one of the team's professional players, a bowler named Thomas Lord, to find a new ground for which they would underwrite the costs.
Lord took a lease on land in Dorset Fields Marylebone (now Dorset Square) and the WCC played their first match on what was originally called The New Ground in 1787. The name was soon changed to Lord's Cricket Ground and, because they were now playing in Marylebone, the WCC decided to call itself the Marylebone Cricket Club or MCC. The rest is history.