Closing date: 23 May 2014
JOB DESCRIPTION January 2013
JOB TITLE: Specialist – Jewelry
SUPERVISOR: VP/Head of Jewelry
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
HOURS: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with additional time as required
OVERVIEW: Conduct pricing, estimating, consignment, appraisals and enquiries (by way of photograph, email and phone) of jewelry for New York office and saleroom, under the direction of the VP. Develop business by sourcing consignments for sale through private and dealer consignments; coordinate with Jewelry team in meeting financial targets for designated sales throughout the year; provide cataloging for sales in New York and other locations as needed; provide written appraisals for Fair Market, Insurance and Selection for Sale.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include but are not limited to:
• Solicit property from private collectors, museums and dealers including appraising the items in cooperation with colleagues in other departments and locations.
• Negotiate estimated values and fees earned by the company (reserves, sellers' commissions and photography charges for each contract or consignment).
• Determine what property may be appropriate for the major sales and specific intermediate sales; review estimates of other specialists. Advise on the optimum sale location and timing of sale to client.
• Catalog property as needed.
• Participate in the exhibition of these sales in New York and other locations as needed.
• Assist buyers with examination of property prior to sales, providing condition reports, comparable price results, and offering expert opinions on any items in sale.
• Ensure that major past buyers and collectors are aware of upcoming sales, have received catalogs and that works of particular interest for them are noted.
• After sale: make informed decisions on items to be re-offered and revise estimates accordingly. Decide which pieces to return to owner.
• Handle all post-sale offers and forward these, with recommendation to clients. Continue to negotiate such deals to a conclusion in a timely manner.
• Render auction estimates for our clients at appraisal clinics.
• Travel and conduct off-site appraisal clinics with the intention of finding and securing property for future sales.
• Perform insurance and estate appraisals (fair market values) for a variety of clientele as requested utilizing your expertise and research. Liaise with colleagues in US and abroad where appropriate to ensure the best professional advice to client and to work product.
• Maintain friendly and cooperative relationships with the local collectors and dealers.
• Maintain and expand the scope of buyers and individuals with special interest designated specialty.
• Respond to requests and questions from clients and follow these through to their satisfactory resolution.
• Maintain internal relationships with all internal departments.
• Weekly calls to clients, contacts and dealers.
• Research and/or develop relationships with the top collectors in the field.
• Visit galleries, attend shows and events.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to: Those assigned by supervisor and participation in auction day activities as needed. Continue to implement and improve department and corporate "best practices".
• Gemologist degree.
• 8 – 10 years with increasing responsibility in an art gallery, museum or auction house with appraisal ability.
• Knowledge of and/or relationships with established collectors of specialty area.
• Well-organized, team player with good problem solving ability and some administrative abilities.
• PC proficiency and customer relations skills required.
• Valid driver's license and ability to travel approximately 40% of the time.
. If interested please forward your cover letter, salary requirements and resume to Recruitment US and put in the subject box Specialist Jewelry LA.