Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958
Lot 371
Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958
Sold for €552,000 (US$ 649,483) inc. premium

Lot Details
Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958
Ferrari 250 GT Coupé 1958
Carrosserie Pinin Farina
Châssis n° 0947GT
Moteur no°0947GT
Carrosserie n° 007

Vers la fin des années 1950, la production de voiture de route cessa d'être considérée comme marginale chez Ferrari pour devenir d'une importance vitale pour l'avenir de la firme. C'est pourquoi la 250, première Ferrari produite en série, peut être vue comme un type d'une importance critique en dépit du fait que la première de la lignée – la 250 Europa construite de 1953 à 1954 – ne dépassa pas les 20 exemplaires. Avant l'arrivée de l'Europa, Ferrari avait produit des coupés et des cabriolets routiers en petites quantités, généralement sur commande et en utilisant des châssis de sport compétition comme base. Ghia et Vignale de Turin et Touring de Milan signèrent la plupart des carrosseries, mais aucun souci de standardisation ne présida à cette production dont on ne trouvera pas deux voitures identiques.

L'introduction de la 250 Europa annonçait un changement significatif dans les préférences de Ferrari en matière de carrosserie. Si auparavant Vignale avait été la carrozzeria préférée des clients de Maranello, désormais c'est Pinin Farina (par la suite Pininfarina) qui serait en tête des choix de Ferrari. Les expérimentations de Pinin Farina se concrétisèrent ensuite sur une nouvelle Ferrari 250 GT de route qui fut dévoilée publiquement au salon de Genève de mars 1956.

Le style de la voiture exposée à Genève – châssis n° 0429GT – fut influencé par la Superamerica de Pinin Farina. Avec la version série 2 de la 410 Superamerica, Ferrari passa d'un empattement de 2 800 mm à 2 600 mm et cette dimension inférieure devint celle de tous les membres de la famille 250 GT à partir de l'Europa GT à l'exception des SWB (châssis court) et GTO nettement destinées à la compétition. Outre l'avantage de maniabilité apporté par un empattement plus court, la 250 GT reçut d'origine le moteur V12 de trois litres plus compact de Colombo à la place du groupe de Lampredi plus encombrant de la Superamerica. Mais Pinin Farina n'était pas encore en mesure de répondre à cette nouvelle charge de travail – la construction de l'usine de Grugliasco venait tout juste de commencer – si bien que le début de production fut confié à Carrozzeria Boano après que Pinin Farina eût achevé quelques prototypes.

La 250 GT représenta un changement de philosophie significatif pour Ferrari. Le confort du pilote comme du passager fut pris en compte pour la première fois ; l'intérieur fut plus luxueusement traité, les sièges élargis et le bruit intérieur assourdi. À ce stade, les boîtes furent synchronisées, ce qui, associé à un comportement moins dur et à un allègement de la direction, répondait à ce qu'attendait un marché nord-américain en constant développement.

Septième des 353 Pininfarina 250 GT Coupé seulement produits, le châssis n° 0947GT possède seul des ailes élargies et fait partie des rares voitures dotées d'un couvercle de coffre en fibre de verre. Il est aussi équipé du moteur V12 à bougies intérieurs et de freins à tambour.

Expédiée à Carrozzeria Pinin Farina en juin 1958, la voiture fut vendue neuve en octobre à un certain Vittorio Roncoroni, résidant à Milan (Italie) qui avait possédé auparavant une 250 Europa (0401GT ). Dans les années 1960, Roncoroni vendit la voiture à Roberto Goldoni, pilote de ligne résidant à Rome, qui la vendit à Edwin K. Niles, juriste et négociant en automobiles de Van Nuys en Californie (USA). La voiture passa ensuite aux mains de divers propriétaires aux Etats-Unis (dont la liste figure au dossier) avant d'être rachetée par Ed Niles en mars 1982. Ce dernier la céda à Curtis L. Van Den Berg d'Eaton Rapids (Michigan) qui la fit totalement restaurer en 1983-1984. Repeinte en rouge foncé et regarnie de cuir brun, « 0947 » fut exposée par Van Den Berg au 2e Concours d'élégance annuel de Meadows Brook Hall en août 1986. Van Den Berg continua de présenter la voiture lors de prestigieux concours pendant quelques années avant de la vendre en septembre 1998 à Lyle Tanner Enterprises.

En 2000, la voiture fut vendue au négociant Andreas Zenari de Fräschel (Suisse) qui la vendit en mai 2004 à MM. Rolf Sigrist et Robert Doux de Greng et Oberburg (Suisse). Le vendeur actuel acheta « 0947 » à la vente Ferrari de Bonhams à Gstaad (Suisse) en décembre 2005. En 2010, le moteur fut totalement reconstruit avec réfection concomitante des démarreur, alternateur, systèmes de refroidissement et d'allumage, carburateurs, freins, embrayage, cardans, faisceau électrique de la planche de bord, etc (voir détail des factures pour un montant de 150 000 CHF environ dans le dossier). Environ 4 000 km seulement ont été parcourus depuis ces travaux.

La documentation disponible comprend des lettres originales (x12) des précédents propriétaires, le Cerrtificate of Title américain, copie d'une lettre d'Andrea Pininfarina, copie d'une lettre de Ferrari Assistenza Tecnica, copie d'une « feuille de montage » de Ferrari, le rapport Massini, un CD-ROM de photos (dont celles de la reconstruction du moteur) et les papiers d'immatriculation en Suisse. La voiture possède aussi son manuel d'utilisation d'origine et un catalogue.

Plus raffinée et plus facilement utilisable que toutes les autres Ferrari de route précédentes, tout en conservant l'héritage sportif de ses devancières, la 250 GT de Pinin Farina est un modèle repère historiquement important.

1958 Ferrari 250GT Coupé
Coachwork by Pinin Farina
Chassis no. 0947GT
Engine no. 0947GT
Body no. 007

By the end of the 1950s, road car production had ceased to be a sideline for Ferrari and was seen as vitally important to the company's future stability. Thus the 250, Ferrari's first volume-produced model, can be seen as critically important, though production of the first of the line - the 250 Europa, built from 1953 to '54 - amounted to fewer than 20. Before the advent of the Europa, Ferrari had built road-going coupés and convertibles in small numbers, usually to special customer order using a sports-racing chassis as the basis. Ghia and Vignale of Turin, and Touring of Milan were responsible for bodying many of these, but there was no attempt at standardisation for series production and no two cars were alike.

The introduction of the 250 Europa heralded a significant change in Ferrari's preferred coachbuilder; whereas previously Vignale had been the most popular carrozzeria among Maranello's customers, from now on Pinin Farina (later Pininfarina) would be Ferrari's number one choice. Pinin Farina's experiments eventually crystallised in a new Ferrari 250GT road car that was first displayed publicly at the Geneva Salon in March 1956.

The styling of the Geneva show car – chassis number '0429GT' – was influenced by Pinin Farina's Superamerica. With the Series 2 variant of the 410 Superamerica, Ferrari switched from a 2,800mm wheelbase to one of 2,600mm, and this shorter dimension would be used for all members of the 250GT family from the Europa GT onwards, with the exception of the competition orientated SWB and GTO models. As well as the handling advantages conferred by the shorter wheelbase, the 250GT was equipped as standard with the more compact Colombo-designed 3.0-litre V12 engine, which replaced the Superamerica's bulkier Lampredi unit. However, Pinin Farina was not yet in a position to cope with the increased workload – construction of its new factory at Grugliasco had only just started - resulting in initial production being entrusted to Carrozzeria Boano after Pinin Farina had completed a handful of prototypes.

The 250GT represented a significant departure for Ferrari. Driver and passenger comfort were taken seriously for the first time; the interior was more luxurious, seats were broader and there was less noise intrusion. By this time there was also synchromesh in the gearbox which, combined with a softer ride and light steering, was exactly what was expected by the increasingly important North American market.

The seventh of only 353 250GT Pininfarina Coupés built, chassis number '0947GT' has unique flared wheelarches and is one of very few made with a glassfibre boot lid. It also has the early-type 'inside plug' V12 engine and drum brakes. Despatched to Carrozzeria Pinin Farina in June 1958, the car was sold new in October '58 to one Vittorio Roncoroni, a resident of Milan, Italy, who had previously owned a Ferrari 250 Europa ('0401GT'). In the 1960s Roncoroni sold the Ferrari to one Roberto Goldoni, an airline pilot living in Rome, who sold it on to Edwin K Niles, an attorney and car dealer resident in Van Nuys, California, USA. The car then passed through the hands of various owners in the USA (details on file) before being repurchased by Ed Niles in March 1982. Niles then sold the Ferrari to Curtis L Van Den Berg of Eaton Rapids, Michigan, who had it fully restored during 1983-1984. Repainted dark red and re-trimmed in brown leather, '0947' was shown by Van Den Berg at the 2nd Annual Meadow Brook Hall Concours d'Élégance in August 1986. Van Den Berg continued to show the car at various prestigious concours venues over the next few years before selling it in September 1998 to Lyle Tanner Enterprises.

In 2000 the Ferrari was sold to car dealer Andreas Zenari of Fräschels, Switzerland who in May 2004 sold it on to Messrs Rolf Sigrist and Robert Doux of Greng and Oberburg, Switzerland. The current vendor purchased '0947' at Bonhams' Ferrari Sale at Gstaad, Switzerland in December 2005. In 2010 the engine was completely rebuilt, with the starter motor, alternator, cooling and ignition systems, carburettors, brakes, clutch, universal joints, dashboard wiring, etc all receiving attention at the same time (see detailed bills for circa CHF 150,000 on file). Only some 4,000 kilometres have been covered since the rebuild.

Accompanying documentation consists of original letters (x12) from previous owners; US Certificate of Title; copy letter from Andrea Pininfarina; copy letter from Ferrari Assistena Technica; copy 'foglio di montaggio' from Ferrari; Massini Report; CD-ROM of photographs (including those of the engine rebuild); and Swiss registration papers. The car also comes with an original instruction manual and sales brochure.

More refined and practical than any previous road-going Ferrari yet retaining the sporting heritage of its predecessors, Pinin Farina's 250GT is a landmark model of great historical significance.
Activities
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Buyer's Premium Rates

Motor Cars and Motorcycles
15% on the Hammer Price

Automobilia
25% up to the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price
12% on the balance thereafter

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Motor Cars (Europe)
    Auction administration - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 11
    FaxFax: +33 1 42 61 10 15
  2. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 11
    FaxFax: +33 1 42 61 10 15
Similar Items