Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938
Lot 347
Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938
Sold for €379,500 (US$ 447,658) inc. premium

Lot Details
Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938
Horch 853 Cabriolet 1938
Châssis n° 853400
Moteur n° B50887

Un des « pères fondateurs » de l'industrie automobile allemande, August Horch né à Winningen en 1868, reçut suivit une formation technique dans une école d'ingénieurs à la suite de laquelle il travailla pour un constructeur de machines marines à Leipzig. Il fut ensuite directeur des usines automobiles de Karl Benz à Mannheim, mais un désaccord à propos de l'approche trop conservatrice de son employeur l'incita à rechercher des commanditaires afin de pouvoir financer sa propre entreprise qui allait être fondée en 1904 à Zwickau, en Saxe, sous la raison sociale Horch & Cie Motorwagenwerke AG.

Horch estimait dépassées les « voitures sans chevaux » à moteur arrière de Benz et sa première automobile de 1900 était dotée d'un moteur bicylindre monté à l'avant et d'un pont arrière moteur mû par un arbre de transmission, première application de cette innovation en Allemagne. Suivirent des modèles à quatre et six cylindres et Horch participa activement aux épreuves d'endurance et aux courses de l'époque. Pourtant, cette politique sportive finit par opposer Horch à ses associés et à précipiter son départ en vue de fonder une nouvelle société. Sous la raison sociale « Audi », la nouvelle entreprise de Horch allait plus tard fusionner avec la firme originale dans le cadre du groupe Auto Union.

En 1923, Horch engagea Paul Daimler, fils de Gottlieb, comme ingénieur en chef et la première voiture portant sa signature fut la « 300 ». Celle-ci était équipée d'un moteur à huit cylindres en ligne de 3, 2 litres de cylindrée à deux ACT et ce type de moteur sera cultivé par Horch dans les années 1920 et 1930. Après le départ de Daimler, son poste fut repris par Fritz Fiedler (qui se fit connaître plus tard chez BMW) auteur d'une huit-cylindres en ligne simple arbre – la Horch 450 – qui fut suivie par les types 500 et 700 à moteur V12 de 6 litres en 1931 et par la 830 B à moteur V8 de 3, 5 litres en 1933.

En 1932, la société entra dans le groupe Auto Union avec Audi, DKW et Wanderer. Dans les années 1930, Horch produisit une pléthore de variations sur ses modèles signalant de simples modifications de cylindrée, d'empattement et de style de carrosserie, mais des voitures toujours nettement destinées au segment du grand luxe sur lequel Horch était le seul concurrent national sérieux de Mercedes-Benz. Introduite pour le millésime 1936, le Type 853 de 4, 9 litres était propulsé par un huit-cylindres en ligne à 1 ACT et dix paliers conçu par Fiedler et installé dans un châssis solidement construit doté d'une boîte de vitesses à quatre rapports avec surmultiplié et d'un freinage hydraulique assisté. Cabriolet sportif, élégant et rapide (140 km/h), la 853 fut produite jusqu'au déclenchement de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, la production ne dépassant pas 950 exemplaires de ces voitures exclusives.

Après la guerre,, l'usine Horch de Zwickau se retrouva en Allemagne de l'est où elles finirent par être remises en service afin de produire l'utilitaire Trabant, triste fin pour une noble marque qui avait figuré parmi les plus prestigieuses du monde.

Le châssis n° 853400 est habillé d'une élégante carrosserie de cabriolet dont la livrée deux tons bleu et gris souligne l'élégance et l'harmonie des lignes. La voiture a été totalement restaurée en 1990 y compris une remise en état du moteur « à neuf » et une réfection des garnitures en cuir gris avec passepoils rouge. Le dossier contient des photos des travaux de restauration et le certificat de l'ASI qui l'accompagne précise que la carrosserie et les organes mécaniques ont été restaurés conformément à l'origine. La voiture est offerte avec une copie du manuel d'utilisation (en allemand), de ses anciens papiers d'immatriculation italiens et de sa carte grise et de son contrôle technique français. Digne de figurer dans les collections les plus exclusives, cette 853 représente une rare occasion d'acquérir une des automobiles des années 1930 parmi les plus luxueuses et les plus raffinées.

1938 Horch 853 Cabriolet
Chassis no. 853400
Engine no. B50887

One of the founding fathers of the German automobile industry, August Horch was born in Winningen in 1868, and following an technical education at engineering school, worked for a marine engine manufacturer in Leipzig. His next job was managing Karl Benz's motor works at Mannheim, but frustration with his employer's conservative approach prompted Horch to seek financial backing for his own venture, which would be incorporated as Horch & Cie Motorwagenwerke AG in 1904 in Zwickau, Saxony.

Horch regarded Benz's rear-engined 'horseless carriages' as outdated, and his first automobile of 1900 featured a front-mounted, twin-cylinder engine and shaft-driven rear axle, the first time this latter innovation had been seen in Germany. Larger four- and six-cylinder models followed, and Horch became active in the trials and competitions of the day, though ultimately this policy would bring August into conflict with his fellow directors and force his departure in 1909 to found a new company. Known from 1910 as 'Audi', Horch's new venture would later be united with his original company as part of the Auto Union

In 1923 Horch engaged Paul Daimler, son of Gottleib, as Chief Engineer, the first car to bear his stamp being the '300'. This was powered by a 3.2-litre, double-overhead-camshaft, straight eight engine, and power units of this type would be favoured by Horch throughout the 1920s and 1930s. After Daimler's departure Fritz Fiedler (later of BMW fame) took over, designing a single-overhead-cam straight-eight - the Horch 450 - which was followed by 6-litre V12-powered 600 and 670 models in 1931 and the 3.5-litre V8-engined 830B in 1933.

In 1932 the company became part of the Auto Union together with Audi, DKW and Wanderer. Horch produced a veritable plethora of model variations in the 1930s, ringing the changes on engine capacity, wheelbase and styles of coachwork, but all were aimed squarely at the prestige end of the market where Horch was the only serious domestic rival to Mercedes-Benz. Introduced for the 1936 season, the 4.9-litre Type 853 was powered by a Fiedler-designed, single-overhead-camshaft, ten-bearing straight eight mounted in a solidly built chassis boasting a four-speed overdrive gearbox and servo-assisted hydraulic brakes. A stylish and fast (140km/h) sports cabriolet, the 853 was produced up to the outbreak of WW2, by which time only 950 of these exclusive cars had been built.

After WW2, Horch's Zwickau factory ended up on the eastern side of a divided Germany where it would eventually be pressed into service manufacturing the utilitarian Trabant - a sad end to a once noble marque that had ranked among the world's very best.

Chassis number '853400' carries a stylish cabriolet body, the two-tone blue/grey livery emphasising its elegant and graceful lines. The car was fully restored in 1990, including overhauling the engine to 'like new' condition and re-trimming the interior in red-piped grey leather. There are photographs of the restoration on file and the accompanying ASI identity certificate notes that the body and mechanicals have been restored to original specification. The car also comes with a copy of the owner's manual (in German), its old Italian registration papers, French Carte Grise and Contrôle Technique (2012). Worthy of inclusion in the most exclusive private collection, it represents a rare opportunity to acquire one the most luxurious and refined cars of the 1930s.


Activities
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

Buyer's Premium Rates

Motor Cars and Motorcycles
15% on the Hammer Price

Automobilia
25% up to the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price
12% on the balance thereafter

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Motor Cars (Europe)
    Auction administration - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 11
    FaxFax: +33 1 42 61 10 15
  2. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 11
    FaxFax: +33 1 42 61 10 15
Similar Items