1951 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup
Chassis no. 14JP-C 8806
216.5ci OHV Trift-Master Inline Six Cylinder Engine
90bhp at 3,330rpm
3-Speed Column Shifted Manual Transmission
4-Wheel Semi-Elliptic Leaf Springs with Front Solid and Rear Floating Axle
4-Wheel Hydraulic Drum Brakes
*Well optioned example
*Excellent truck for hunting grouse or antiques
The 3100 Pickup
Chevrolet began building pickup trucks at the start of WWI and in the first year of production about 900 trucks rolled off the line. By 1942 when civilian production stopped, Chevrolet had produced two million trucks. Clearly they were doing something right. Following WWII the Bowtie brand sought to maintain its dominance and in 1947 it debuted its 'Advance Design' series of pickups. Ranging from the ½ ton 3100 to the 1 ton 3800 and initially powered by reliable straight six of 216.5cilater growing to 235ci and then 261cithe full-bodied and modern looking line-up quickly became the best-selling truck in America, a title it held for the duration of its eight year production life.
While a handful of body styles were available including pickups, panel deliveries, and cab-only models, the number of options was rather limited with the primary one being a Deluxe package that added a bit of flair to the utilitarian machine with the addition of a chrome grill and additional chrome trim pieces.
The Pickup Offered
The 3100 presented was built in Baltimore in March of 1951. While the basic styling and design of the 3100-Series changed little from 1947 until 1953, a near constant stream smaller changes were made throughout the series. Among the additions for '51 were the inclusion of vent windows in the doors for some added cabin airflow and the final year for a number of chrome interior trim pieces such as the window handle knobs and wiper knob. As a truck produced in the earlier part of the year, it is among the final 3100s to feature a nine-board bed in place of the eight-board bed that was introduced later in the year.
This truck was the recipient of a thorough restoration by its previous Dayton, Ohio owner in 1995 and 1996. Finished in Mariner Blue over dark saddle vinyl, it features a number of rare options including an AM radio, heater, dual side mirrors, dual spotlights, and a windshield visor to keep the sun out of your eyes. Acquired by the vendor in the spring of 2005, it has been very sparingly driven since purchase spending the bulk of its time in a heated and air conditioned garage. Accompanied by a box of receipts documenting its restoration, original dealer brochures, a service manual, and an original owner's manual, it will be right at home going to or from the farmers market, beach, or estate.