1961 Norton 350cc Navigator
Registration no. 639 XUX
Frame no. 97479
Engine no. 95538
The Navigator was the first derivative of the all-new Jubilee 250 twin that had been introduced in 1958. Designer Bert Hopwood's original conception had called for integral cylinder barrels and 'heads but convention won the day and separate components were used in production. Built in unit with the four-speed gearbox, the Jubilee engine was very 'over-square' by the standards of the day (bore/stroke measurements were 60x44mm) and could be buzzed to 8,500rpm, a quite exceptional figure for a British motorcycle. This modern-looking engine was installed in a Francis-Barnett derived frame with fabricated 'down-tube'. Towards the end of 1960 the 350cc Navigator was announced. The motor was bore and stroked, while the cylinder block became a one-piece casting. Otherwise changes were few, although the cycle parts were up-rated with the Roadholder front fork and 8" diameter brake from Norton's 'heavyweight' models, and the overall gearing raised to exploit the larger engine's increased power. Motor Cycling achieved a top speed of 89mph with a Navigator Deluxe, which also returned a commendable 56mpg during the high-speed test. This particular Navigator has been fully restored by the current vendor to museum/show condition. Described as running perfectly and ready to ride, this beautiful machine is offered with fresh MoT/tax and V5C registration document.
- This machine was professionally restored by British Classic Motorbikes near Clevedon, North Somerset. The Engine number is 9553819.