1956 BSA 249cc C12
Registration no. TWD 797
Frame no. EC12 4923
Engine no. BC11G 28920
BSA's 'C' range of lightweights was first introduced in 1938. Its first exemplar was the C10 sidevalve single with coil ignition and three-speed hand-change gearbox. A de luxe version with foot-change gearbox joined the range in 1939, as did the overhead-valve C11. In mid-1946 the original girder front fork was replaced by a telescopic unit and part way through 1949 the C10 gained an alloy cylinder head. From 1954 onwards the pair continued as the up-dated C10L/C11G, with alternator electrics, plunger rear suspension and four-speed gearbox until superseded by the C12 that deployed the same engine/gearbox in a new swinging-arm frame. This BSA C12 is offered fresh from a complete renovation undertaken over the last two years by its owner. Works carried out include overhauling the engine with a new Alpha Bearings bottom end; repainting the cycle parts in correct BSA maroon; internally sealing the fuel tank; checking the electrical system; and fitting new brake shoes, wheel rims, tyres, exhaust pipe, silencer, switches, fastenings and a gel battery. Not used since completion, the machine is currently taxed but will require final re-commissioning before returning to the road. Accompanying documentation consists of an old-style logbook and current V5C.
- The Frame number is EC12.4623.