1950 Vincent 499cc Comet Project
Registration no. JBM 234
Frame no. RC/1/6401
Engine no. F5AB/2A/4501
Rear frame no. RC/1/6401
Effectively a Rapide v-twin minus its rear cylinder, the Series C Vincent Comet built from 1948 to 1954 offered the same degree of refinement as its bigger brother, albeit with reduced performance. Even so, the Comet combined a 90mph potential with excellent fuel economy, and was the ideal touring mount for the discerning rider who placed civility of manners and quality of construction above outright performance. Apart from the missing cylinder, the Comet followed Series C twin lines, the model featuring the newly introduced Vincent Girdraulic forks and hydraulic dampers at front and rear. An expensive machine to produce, it did not sell as well as its maker had hoped and was dropped when the Series D was introduced for 1954. Presented in 'barn find' condition, this Comet was acquired by the lady vendor's deceased husband in the late 1950s. He used the Vincent to attend the A-CU National Rally in 1962 (Rhyl) and 1963 (London), receiving a 'Maximum Marks' finisher's plaque on both occasions (awards included in sale). The machine has been kept in dry storage since its last MoT expired in 1966 and is offered for restoration. Accompanying documentation consists of an old-style continuation logbook (issued 1954), expired MoT (1966), insurance papers and a 1963 A-CU rally programme.