1964 Scott 596cc Flying Squirrel
Registration no. BPE 24B
Frame no. 1325
Engine no. DMS 2125
Bradford-born Alfred Angas Scott's experiments with two-stroke motorcycle engines began in the closing years of the 19th Century. The first complete Scott motorcycle followed in 1908, its twin-cylinder engine, two-speed foot-change gear and all-chain drive marking it out as an exceptionally advanced design for its day. Low weight, ample power and sure-footed handling thanks to a low centre of gravity were Scott virtues right from the outset. Scott's most well known model is the Flying Squirrel, which was launched at the Olympia Show in 1925 and came in 498cc and 596cc capacities, the latter being the most expensive machine in the range.
Alfred Scott's original engine layout would survive until production petered out in the late 1960s, by which time the company had changed hands and relocated from Shipley to Birmingham. Scott's acquisition by Matt Holder's Aerco Jig & Tool Company in 1950 brought with it a number of long-awaited improvements, including a new duplex frame featuring rear suspension and improved brakes, though customers had to wait until 1956 to buy one of these new 'Birmingham' Scotts. In the meantime, old-style Flying Squirrels that had been completed at Shipley before the company's sale were the only models on offer.
Supplied new via Murphy Motors of Sutton, Surrey, this Birmingham-built Flying Squirrel was first owned by one Eric Lemon of West Ewell, Surrey, a member of the Scott Owners Club, who was pictured with 'BPE 224B' in the Club's magazine 'Yowl' (January 1971 edition, copy on file). Following Mr Lemon's death in 1970, the Scott passed to Derrick Chase of Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, another SOC member, and while in his care underwent substantial refurbishment, as evidenced by numerous invoices on file dating from the 1970s, many issued by Scott specialists Silk Engineering of Derby. The current owner acquired the machine around 30 years ago, since when it has not been used, although the engine has been turned over regularly. Last MoT'd in 1981, the Scott will require re-commissioning and the customary safety checks before returning to the road. Accompanying paperwork consists of the aforementioned invoices, various letters, the original logbook, an expired MoT certificate (1982) and an old-style V5 document. A box of spares and accessories is included in the sale.
- The Registration number is BPE 224B.