1934 Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Phantom II Continental berline
Lot 444
1934 Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Phantom II Continental berline
€220,000 - 240,000
US$ 290,000 - 320,000
Lot Details
1934 Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Phantom II Continental berline
Carrosserie Gurney Nutting
Châssis n° 109SK
Moteur n° JE25

La Phantom II fut présentée en 1929 pour succéder à la New Phantom (rétrospectivement baptisée Phantom I), les livraisons débutant en septembre de la même année. Contrairement à sa devancière, qui héritait du châssis du précédent modèle, la 40/50 HP Silver Ghost, la Phantom II avait un châssis entièrement nouveau, inspiré de celui de la plus petite Rolls Royce 20 HP. Construit en deux longueurs d'empattement, 3, 66 m et 3, 80 m, ce châssis surbaissé avec le radiateur reculé permettait aux carrossiers de l'habiller de formes modernes, créant des dessins plus élégants que les hautes caisses d'autrefois.

Le moteur avait également été profondément modifié. Les cotes et la disposition des cylindres de la Phantom I – deux blocs de trois cylindres avec culasse en aluminium commune – étaient conservées, mais les chambres de combustion avaient été redessinées et les têtes de cylindres étaient désormais de type crossflow, avec les collecteurs d'admission et d'échappement de chaque côté. Le double système d'allumage par magnéto et bobine restait identique à celui de la Phantom I.

Résultat de toutes ces modifications au moteur, des performances en nette amélioration - notamment sur le modèle Continental - et la possibilité d'adopter des carrosseries plus lourdes. Conçue sur le châssis court (3, 66 m) de la Phantom II et présentée en 1930, la version Continental avait été conçue comme une voiture pour « propriétaire conducteur enthousiaste » et recevait de nouvelles suspensions arrière, un rapport de pont plus élevé et une colonne de direction abaissée. En fin de production, la magnifique Phantom II Continental atteignait un bon 150 km/h. « Puissante, docile, extrêmement facile à contrôler et racée, elle se comporte d'une manière qu'il est difficile de qualifier sans paraître trop élogieux » déclarait The Motor après son essai de la Continental en mars 1934.

Très apprécié des carrossiers les plus en vue, le châssis Phantom II Continental fournit la base de quelques carrosseries exceptionnelles pour l'époque et cet exemplaire porte une carrosserie berline bien équilibrée de J. Gurney Nutting, un établissement associé aux marques de luxe – en particulier Bentley – dès son origine et un praticien prestigieux de l'art de la carrosserie dans les années 1930. Créée à Croydon, dans le Surrey, en 1919, Gurney Nutting déménagea dans le quartier huppé de Chelsea à Londres en 1924. Daimler et Rolls-Royce vinrent enrichir la clientèle de Gurney Nutting au milieu des années 1929 et la fructueuse collaboration avec ce dernier se prolongea dans les décennies qui suivirent. Les réalisations de Gurney Nutting avaient d'emblée un parfum sportif et attirèrent l'attention des classes supérieures. Le prince de Galles, le duc d'York étaient clients et la firme gagna son patronage royal au début des années 1930.

Le châssis 109SK fut construit en décembre 1934 et devint la propriété du capitaine (plus tard colonel) V. H. Holt. Son immatriculation originale au Royaume-Uni était VN 6477. La fiche de châssis donne le nom du propriétaire suivant comme étant le major J. S. Struthers, qui garda la Phantom les dix années qui suivirent. La voiture connut ensuite cinq propriétaires au Royaume-Uni avant de passer aux mains d'un nouveau propriétaire aux États-Unis, Alan W. McEwan dans l'état de Washington. En 1966 109SK fut achetée par des propriétaires qui la gardèrent longtemps, William et Karen Becker dans l'Orégon, qui restèrent ses gardiens jusqu'à ce qu'elle arrive aux mains du vendeur – par le biais de Gullwing Motor Company – en 2010. Autrefois restaurée (à une date inconnue), la voiture est vendue avec son manuel, la liste des propriétaires, un titre de propriété de l'état d'Orégon et un formulaire des douanes du Royaume-Uni C&E 386 prouvant que ses droits ont été acquittés.

1934 Rolls-Royce 40/50hp Phantom II Continental Sports Saloon
Coachwork by Gurney Nutting
Chassis no. 109SK
Engine no. JE25

The Phantom II was introduced in 1929 as a successor to the New Phantom (retrospectively Phantom I) with deliveries commencing in September of that year. Unlike its predecessor, which inherited its underpinnings from the preceding 40/50hp model, the Silver Ghost, the Phantom II employed an entirely new chassis laid out along the lines of that of the smaller 20hp Rolls-Royce. Built in two wheelbase lengths - 144" and 150" - this new low-slung frame, with its radiator set well back, enabled coachbuilders to body the car in the modern idiom, creating sleeker designs than the upright ones of the past.

The engine too had come in for extensive revision. The PI's cylinder dimensions and basic layout - two blocks of three cylinders, with an aluminium cylinder head common to both blocks - were retained, but the combustion chambers had been redesigned and the 'head was now of the cross-flow type, with inlet and exhaust manifolds on opposite sides. The magneto/coil dual ignition system remained the same as on the PI.

The result of these engine changes was greatly enhanced performance, particularly of the Continental model, and the ability to accommodate weightier coachwork. Designed around the short (144") Phantom II chassis and introduced in 1930, the Continental version was conceived as 'an enthusiastic owner driver's car' and featured revised rear suspension, higher axle ratio and lowered steering column. By the end of production the magnificent Phantom II Continental was good for 95mph. 'Powerful, docile, delightfully easy to control and a thoroughbred, it behaves in a manner which is difficult to convey without seeming to over-praise,' declared The Motor after testing a PII Continental in March 1934.

Highly favoured by prominent coachbuilders, the Phantom II Continental chassis provided the platform for some of the truly outstanding designs of its day and this example wears well proportioned sports saloon coachwork by J Gurney Nutting, a company associated with quality marques – Bentley in particular - from its earliest days and a supreme practitioner of the coachbuilding craft in the late 1930s. Founded in Croydon, Surrey in 1919, Gurney Nutting moved to London's fashionable Chelsea district in 1924. Daimler and Rolls-Royce were added to the Gurney Nutting portfolio in the mid-1920s and the fruitful association with the latter continued into the succeeding decade. Gurney Nutting's work had a sporting flavour from the outset and succeeded in attracting the attention of society's upper echelons; the Prince of Wales and Duke of York were clients, and the firm gained its Royal Warrant in the early 1930s.

Chassis number '109SK' was completed in December 1934 and first owned by Captain (later Lt Colonel) V H Holt. Its original UK registration was 'VN 6477'. Chassis cards list the next owner, from 1937, as Major J S Struthers, who kept the Phantom for the next ten years. The car subsequently had a further five owners in the UK before passing in 1963 to a new owner in the USA: Alan W McEwan of Washington State. In 1966 '109SK' was acquired by long-term owners William and Karen Becker of Oregon, who would be its custodians until ownership passed to the current vendor – via the Gullwing Motor Company – in 2010. An older restoration (date unknown), the car is offered with handbook, list of owners, Oregon Certificate of Title and UK customs form C&E 386 confirming EU duties paid.

Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +32 476 879 471