c.1920 Wanderer 616cc Twin
Frame no. 34905
Engine no. 28009
'Wanderer' was the brand name of Winkelhofer & Jaenicke, a bicycle-making firm founded in Chemnitz, Saxony around 1885 and, like those of many of its contemporaries, its first motorised two-wheeler of 1902 was merely a power-assisted cycle. By 1913 the range had expanded considerably and was topped by a 408cc v-twin. Distinguished by their wedge-shaped fuel tanks, these early Wanderer twins were of an advanced specification for their day, boasting bottom-link forks, sprung frames, two-speed hub gears, automatic lubrication and an internal expanding rear drum brake. A 'militarised' version of Wanderer's v-twin was widely used by the German armed forces during WWI, and it was with the civilian version of this model that the company resumed production at the war's end. In the early 1920s a new 616cc v-twin appeared boasting unitary construction of the engine/gearbox unit, which was suspended at upper crankcase height from the duplex's frame's lower rails. This Wanderer v-twin had already been restored when it was purchased by the current vendor in Spain in 2010. Last ridden a few months ago, the machine is described as all original and in generally excellent working order. Accompanying documentation consists of an original parts list and Belgian registration papers.
- This machine is offered with a copy of the parts list and not the original.