Fine English Furniture, Sculpture & Works of Art
A set of four late 18th century stoneware Ionic capitals attributed to the Coade Manufactory
The stepped moulded tops above egg and dart aprons flanked by Ionic scrolls, 47cm wide, 18cm deep, 43cm high (18 1/2in wide, 7in deep, 16 1/2in high).
- Provenance: Norton Place, Lincolnshire, from the gate piers demolished circa 1960, subsequently used as garden ornaments in a nearby garden.
The above capitals originally formed part of the gate piers on the approach to Norton Place. The corresponding Coade stone vases from the same gates remain at Norton Place and are now situated on pedestals at the forecourt entrance. Norton Place was designed by John Carr of York in 1766.
The pilaster capitals are fixed upside down to the corresponding bases, so that a set of four complete pilasters can made from them by infilling with a suitable shaft as originally intended. The pilasters follow the pattern for ionic given by Palladio in Quattro Libri (1570) as well as by Batty Langley in Builder's Jewel (1741) but ultimately derived from the ancient Temple of Portunus in Rome.