BAUM, L. FRANK. 1856-1919.
"Ozcot Wizard of Oz Lodge," original painted wooden sign, custom made by Vanadco Signs, Argos, IN, 1960, 610 x 915 mm (24 by 36 inches), some surface scratches and nicks along edges.
ORIGINAL SIGN FROM THE SUMMER LODGE OPERATED BY HARRY AND BRENDA BAUM at Bass Lake, Indiana. When Harry Neal Baum, L. Frank Baum's third son, retired from the advertising business, he and his third wife Brenda opened The Wizard of Oz Lodge in 1960. It was originally built in 1907 as the Center View Hotel not far from Knox, IN. Harry Baum renamed it "Ozcot" after his parents' Hollywood home and decorated it with Oz memorabilia and a fine collection of first editions of his father's books signed to him. The lodge was the site of the earliest Oz conventions of the International Wizard of Oz Club. When Harry died in 1967, just two weeks before the annual meeting, Brenda decided to keep the business open for one more season. The sign incorporates pictures of the Scarecrow and Tin Woodman taken from W. W. Denslow's original illustrations for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900).