MERZ, G. & S.
A 2-inch refracting telescope, c.1865, by Merz of Munich, brass, with brass and steel stand, 910 mm long, stand 1100 mm high, with lens cap.
Munich-based Georg Merz [1793-1867] and Joseph Mahler took over the Utzschneider & Fraunhofer company in 1839. On Mahler's death, Merz continued the business with his sons. After 1858, the firm was known as G. & S. Merz, and was one of the most renowned German makers of microscopes and optical and astronomical instruments of the second half of the 19th century.
- Bonhams has an interest in this lot.