1965 Austin Mini Saloon
Chassis no. AA2S7L843811A
One of the most influential automobiles of all time, the Alec Issigonis-designed Mini debuted in 1959 to universal acclaim. True, there had been numerous front-wheel-drive designs before the Mini's arrival, but the transverse engine layout enabled Issigonis to create a trend-setting masterpiece of automotive packaging. BMC chose to market the car as the Austin Seven and Morris Mini Minor before Mini became a marque in its own right in 1969. The early Mk1 had the 848cc A-Series engine, rubber cone suspension, and floor-mounted starter button, the latter two features being replaced by Hydrolastic suspension and key starting respectively in 1964. In due course estate and van versions arrived; larger engines became available; more luxurious Riley and Wolseley models joined the line-up; and the sporting Mini Cooper was introduced.
Originally an 850cc model, this left-hand drive Cooper-style example has been upgraded with an overhauled 998cc engine equipped with twin carburettors, while other improvements include a wood veneer dashboard and Minilite-type alloy wheels. The interior benefits from new carpets and the gearbox has been overhauled. The car as a whole is described as in generally excellent condition, having been well maintained by a private collector. Accompanying documentation consists of Belgian registration papers and roadworthiness certificate.