Original left hand-drive
1960 Rolls-Royce Phantom V Limousine
Coachwork by Park Ward Ltd
Chassis no. 5LAT66
Engine no. PV83A
Introduced in the autumn of 1959 on the Silver Cloud II and Bentley S2, Rolls-Royce's all-new V8 engine was also used to power a new limousine model: the long-wheelbase Phantom V, which effectively replaced both the Phantom IV and the Silver Wraith. Built on a much-modified and strengthened Silver Cloud II chassis, the new Phantom measured over 6 metres in length and enabled coachbuilders to combine the desirable qualities of spacious interior accommodation with generous boot space. A lower final drive ratio ensured that while top speed was a little down on that of its stable-mates, the new Phantom could all but match them for acceleration.
Representing the last word in motoring luxury in its day, this elegant Phantom V limousine has had only three owners from new. A matching-numbers example, the car was delivered new on 21st January 1961 to Mr Fred Pomerantz of Park Avenue, New York, with ownership being transferred to Mr Pomerantz's ladies clothing company, Leslie Fay Inc, in August 1965. The last owner bought the Phantom V from Leslie Fay in November 2004 and imported it into Belgium. Almost directly after purchase, the car was completely overhauled except for the nicely patinated original interior. The body was completely dismantled and restored at a cost of over 40,000 and the mechanicals likewise were fully overhauled. There are invoices available showing that over 15,000 was spent on a new braking system, radiator, suspension, automatic transmission overhaul, etc, etc.
Driven only occasionally since completion, the Phantom is offered with restoration photographs; a full Rolls-Royce factory production file; invoices for restoration and servicing from 2004 onwards; Belgian registration papers; and valid technical inspection document.