Formerly the property of Philippe Charboneaux
1924 Cottin-Desgouttes 12hp Type M Torpedo
Chassis no. 15317
Previously an engineer with Berliet, Pierre Desgouttes built his first automobile in 1904 and at the beginning of 1906 went into partnership with wealthy industrialist Cyrille Cottin, founding Automobiles Cottin et Desgouttes. Cottin-Desgouttes became admired both for its productivity and technical innovation, being among the first manufacturers to adopt monobloc engines, in-unit gearboxes and Hotchkiss drive transmission. Active participation in competitions and a number of notable successes helped enhance the newly formed companys reputation still further.
After the Great Wars end, Cottin-Desgouttes returned to the manufacture of predominantly large luxury cars and in 1922 added an all-new medium size 12hp model to the range: the Type M. A technological tour de force, the Type M featured a four-cylinder, overhead-valve engine incorporating a five-bearing, counterbalanced crankshaft; three valves per cylinder; dual coil/magneto ignition; and four-wheel brakes, a specification that placed it head and shoulders above its rivals.
This Type M previously formed part of the famous Musée Automobile de Reims collection belonging to the late Philippe Charboneaux (now the Musée Automobile Reims Champagne). Successfully test driven in August 2013 after a period of 15 years of storage, the car is described as in generally very good condition and in running order. It is offered with Charbonneaux ownership documentation, photographs showing the car at the Reims museum and FFVE papers.