1960 Austin-Healey 3000 MKI BN7 Two-Seater
Chassis no. BN7L 10336
2,912cc OHV Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
2 SU Carburetors
132bhp at 4,600rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Independent Front Suspension Live Rear Axle
Front Disc Rear Drum Brakes
*Rare two-seater BN7 delivered with factory hardtop
*Delivered new to US Air Force Commander in Dusseldorf, Germany
*Single-family ownership for over 40 years
*Beautifully restored by Healey Lane Restorations
*Offered with all weather equipment, restoration photos and Heritage Trust certificate
The Austin-Healey 3000
The "Big Healey" retained the essence of its curvaceous long hood/short deck progenitor, the Austin-Healey 100/4 roadster of 1953. Designed as a sports car and indeed quite successful in rallying and racing, the Austin Healey had by 1960 evolved into the far more civilized and capable machine as offered here. The enlargement of its C-Series six-cylinder engine to 2,912cc and the adoption of Girling front disc brakes differentiated the new-for-1959 Austin-Healey 3000 from the preceding 100/6. Contemporary road tests typically recorded performance figures of 114mph top speed and a 0-60mph time of approximately 11 seconds.
In 1960, the second production year for the six-cylinder Healey's, the marque saw great success on the competitive international rally scene, with Pat Moss and Ann Wisdom winning the Liege-Rome-Liege, Coupes des Dames in Geneva and the Tulip Rally. With partial alloy bodies, these cars were light enough to perform admirably with extra power of the three-liter engine.
The Motorcar Offered
Offered here is arguably the most desirable model of the six-cylinder model range; a left-hand-drive BN7 two-seater. According to production records, this BN7 was dispatched from the Healey works in June of 1960, sporting wire wheels mounted with octagonal wheel nuts, a heater, overdrive, Dunlop Roadspeed tires, and the very rare optional hard top. The new Healey was finished in Ivory with the hard top in black, fitted with black interior and soft-top, and delivered to its first owner in Dusseldorf, Germany.
As many sports cars of the era, this car was ordered and purchased new by a US Air Force Wing Commander stationed at the time in Dusseldorf, Germany. In 1964, the Commander was relocated to the US, and according to his daughter, the Healey made the trip over in a Douglas C47 Cargo aircraft, landing at Castle Air Force base in Merced County, California.
The Commander would settle down in Fairfield, California, never parting with his Healey during his lifetime. After passing away in 1987, the car was left to his daughter, who finally sold the car to renowned Austin-Healey restorer Tom Rocke, of Healey Lane Restorations, in 2004. With the exception of the hard top (which the Commander had left at a friend's house some 20 years earlier), the car was in very complete and sound condition, simply needing a straightforward restoration after 44 years of careful use.
Tom Rocke and Healey Lane embarked on a full nut and bolt restoration of the desirable BN7, going through the car from stem to stern, refurbishing the engine, suspension, brakes and all cosmetic aspects. A photo album accompanying the Healey neatly documents this restoration.
Upon completion in 2008, the car was purchased by the consignor, a Southern California collector of exceptional sports cars. The quality of the restoration was soon recognized with class-winning honors at the 2009 Desert Classic in Palm Springs, California.
A wonderful Healey, ready for rallies or concours events, this rare two-seater example benefits from one long-term owner in the dry state of Californian, and a beautiful Healey Lane restoration in recent years. Complete with soft-top, side curtains and Heritage Trust Certificate, this well documented BN7 stands out among the best examples of the model on the market today.