1936 Rolls-Royce Phantom III 40/50hp Enclosed Limousine
Coachwork by Hooper
Chassis no. 3 AZ 226
Engine no. N 14 M
7,338cc OHV V12 Engine
126bhp at 4,000rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Front Independent Suspension Live Rear Axle
4 Wheel Drum Brakes
*Proceeds to benefit Reno's National Auto Museum
*From the collection of noted enthusiast Ted Bacon
*Rare V-12 Phantom III model
*Documented with Rolls-Royce factory build sheets
*Largely original condition, matching numbers engine
The Phantom III
The makers of 'The Best Car in the World' exhibited the exciting all new Phantom III on Stand 107 at The Olympia Motor Exhibition in October 1935. Representing an entirely new standard of motor car excellence, such was the quality and cost of the new car that production was restricted to 710 examples in a production run curtailed by the War in 1939. Powered by a V-12 cylinder engine of 7.3 liters, the Phantom III had independent front suspension and an all new cross-braced frame of boxed section. Compared with the Phantom II it weighed 8% less and developed 12% more power. The forward location of the engine and radiator gave the whole car a new more modern appearance and provided the bespoke coachbuilders with the opportunity to create innovative new streamlined coachwork.
The Motor magazine summed up the new car in the following terms: "......a car which is a joy to handle and which, in its perfection of workmanship and finish, is also an example of engineering at its finest level. It is inspiring to realise that this leading expression of the art of building automobiles, with its unique international reputation, should be produced by British designers and work people."
The Motorcar Offered
The Hooper-bodied Phantom III Enclosed Limousine offered here was delivered to its first owner, Sir Walter Rea of London, in January 1937 after its coachwork had been completed, as confirmed by its Rolls-Royce factory build records. The car was finished in beige and black with grey cloth in the rear passenger compartment and black leather in front, and fitted with a center privacy divider. Rea must have been quite particular as a note in the records indicates "Customer must try seats". The Phantom III received UK registration number DGT 369, a plate which it still wears to this day.
Its next recorded owner as of September 1949 was noted as A.E. Satchell Esq., of Cadogan Square, London. While its interim history is unknown, at some point the Rolls-Royce came to the United States and into the collection of pioneering American classic car enthusiast Ted Bacon of Minden, Nevada.
Residing unused in the Bacon collection for many years, the big V-12 Phantom was recently donated to Reno's National Auto Museum to benefit their redevelopment and is being sold on the Museum's behalf. Having received a repaint in the current yellow and black scheme many years ago, the Phantom III retains its original matching-numbers engine and many original finishes. We understand that the engine has recently been made to run, but as the Rolls-Royce has not been used regularly in many years, a thorough servicing will be advisable. A great example of the Hooper coachwork of the era, this Rolls-Royce is representative of British aristocracy of its period and should present a straightforward restoration to its original appearance.