1952 Jaguar XK120 Fixed Head Coupe
Chassis no. 679874
Engine no. W 5540-8
3,442cc DOHC Inline 6-Cylinder Engine
Twin SU carburetors
160bhp at 5,000rpm
4-Speed Manual Transmission
Independent Front Suspension - Rear Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs
4-Wheel Drum Brakes
*US-delivery, left-hand-drive XK120
*Best looking XK 120 variant
*Formerly owned by Jaguar club officer
*Matching numbers original engine
*Believed to be fewer than 44,000 original miles
The Jaguar XK120
Jaguar astonished the public by announcing a new two-seater roadster, the 'XK120', at the 1948 Earls Court Motor Show. The XK120 heralded the arrival of Jaguar's famous 3.4-liter twin-overhead-camshaft XK engine, intended for the Mark VII saloon, then two years away. Its chassis was essentially a shortened version of the simultaneously announced Mark V saloon, with torsion bar independent suspension.
The XK120's performance and roadholding set new standards for British sports cars and, uniquely of the XK series, its name reflected the top speed. In May 1949, on the Jabbeke to Aeltre autoroute in Belgium, an example with its top and side screens in place recorded a speed of 126mph, and 132mph with the top and windscreen detached and an under-tray fitted.
The car's instant success caught Jaguar by surprise. It was immediately obvious that the ash-framed alloy coachwork would have to go and the XK120 was re-engineered in steel after 240 cars had been completed. In 1951 the open two-seater model was joined by a fixed-head coupe version, and a drophead coupe followed in 1953. The XK120 was superseded by the XK140 in 1954 though the 120 was to prove the most popular of the series.
The Motorcar Offered
This elegant XK120 Fixed Head was built during the summer of 1952 and was dispatched August 15th for delivery to the Hoffman Motor Car Co, New York. Originally finished in Battleship Grey with Red upholstery, the XK120 was just the type of sexy, sleek British sports car described by B.S. Levy in his 1950s American sports car racing fictional novel The Last Open Road.
Its early history and first owner are not recorded, however eventually the car came into the ownership of Mr. George Keller of Columbus, Ohio, an officer of the Jaguar Association of Central Ohio. No doubt enjoyed during Jaguar club gatherings, the XK120 eventually passed to a Mr. Charles Regester of Westerville, Ohio. At some point the XK120 was repainted in its present white color while the interior was retrimmed in tan leather with matching tan carpets.
Retaining its original matching-numbers engine and its tool kit, the Jaguar was acquired by the vendor last year and is described as being in good overall condition. The vendor describes the indicated mileage of under 44,000 to be original, and indeed this is supported by the previous title for the car which specifies actual mileage. It is believed that the original 3.4-liter engine was rebuilt at some point in the past. Looking quite the archetype of the XK120 Coupe, this Fixed Head is eligible for a number of vintage touring events and JCNA activities, where it can continue to provide enjoyment well into the future.
- Please note that the title for this vehicle is in transit.