1958 BSA Gold Star
Engine no. DBD34 GS2921
On Wednesday June 30, 1937, a specially prepared Empire Star 500 single ridden by the great Wal Handley achieved a 100mph lap of the Brooklands circuit on its way to a debut race victory and award of the "Gold Star" that would give BSA's new sports model its evocative name. Possibly the most successful production racing motorcycle ever, the post-WWII Gold Star formed the mainstay of British clubman's racing in the 1950s. In fact, it was the model's domination of the Isle of Man Clubman's TT which led to the event being dropped after Gold Star rider Bernard Codd's 1956 Senior and Junior double victory. While its trials and scrambles derivatives demonstrated the design's versatility by chalking up an equally impressive record in off-road competition, for the majority of enthusiasts the 500cc DBD34 in Clubman's trim is the epitome of the 'Goldie'. The DBD, the ultimate road going 500 Gold Star, appeared in 1956 when the famous RRT2 close-ratio gearbox and 190mm front brake became standard equipment. From then on BSA's perennially popular sporting single changed little until its lamented demise in 1963. Today, the Gold Star remains one of the most highly sought after of postwar British motorcycles. Enthusiast support is huge and there is a dedicated yet active owners' club.
This "500cc Clubman Gold Star in all its glory with clip-ons, rearsets, reversed gear pedal, swept back exhaust and the twittering silencer" is a gorgeous example that was restored by expert Frank Diehl formerly of Annapolis, Maryland, now of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, bought in 1989 by the seller from a David Freeman "in the Panhandle of Florida". It had been hill climbed and was rough but its original take-off parts were returned and Diehl set to work. He took his time to get it right. It has been in a private museum since 1992.
- Please note that the frame number for this motorcycle is CB328754 and its title is in transit.