A paint-decorated, gilt-heightened wood carving of lions flanking Decalogue
artist unidentified New York City (lower east side), c.1920 height 59 cm (23-1/4 in); width 97 cm (38-1/4 in); depth 11 cm (4-1/2 in)
The dedication band below the carving in gold reads (IN HEBREW?): "In Memory of Reb Eliezer the son of Abraham Stavsky. May his memory be for a blessing." Most telling about this carving is the combination of red, white, blue and gold suggesting a patriotic alliance and kinship with American Jewry at the turn of the century.
Reference: Murray Zimiles, Gilded Lions and Jeweled Horses: The Synagogue to the Carousel, Jewish Carving Traditions (Waltham, M.A.: Brandeis University, 2007). p. 131.