It was late in 1934 that AFN Ltd concluded an agreement with BMW for the import of their cars into the United Kingdom, the eventual intention being licence production by AFN Ltd. if the project went well. Bill Aldington's attention had been attracted by the six cylinder BMW 315 launched in April 1934, a car way ahead of its years in design terms that would be adopted and adapted to create eventually perhaps the greatest sports car of the prewar era - the BMW 328. The 315 and its slightly later 1,911cc derivative, the 319, were powered by six-cylinder in line engines with pushrod-operated overhead valves, mounted in a tubular chassis with transverse independent front suspension.
In triple carburettor form the 319 developed 55bhp and in twin carburettor form a still useful 45bhp. The 319 was a quick lightweight touring car that handled exceptionally well and proved useful too in competition. The popularity of the 319 can be demonstrated by the fact that 6,646,319 cars, in its various forms, were built between the start of 1935 and the demise of the model at the end of 1937.
AFN Ltd. archives show that this Frazer Nash-BMW which was registered on 27th February 1937 belonged to a Mr. Davies of Harrow that year. By January 1939 it had covered some 17,522 miles quite high mileage for those days. There is a gap in the service records between then and 1947, the car presumably being laid up during the war. The AFN records for this car cease in 1947.
An old style green logbook records ownership by a Major Henry Burnett of Staffordshire in 1966 and an Aubrey Lymer, also of Staffordshire, in 1967.The present family owners acquired the car from a William Gordon Pyatt of Cheadle, Stoke-on-Trent, some twenty-nine years ago. He had owned the car since 1978. Photos on file show the car in unrestored but seemingly original state and it is thought that much of the restoration work has been carried out in house some considerable time ago in the present family ownership.
FMC 124 is now very smartly presented in beige livery and with olive green pleated upholstery, although we note the hood cover and hood envelope will benefit from attention. The overall condition of the car suggests to us that the indicated mileage of 54,676 miles could possibly be correct. The car is equipped with Bosch head and spot lamps, opening windscreen and trafficators, while the passenger compartment has a cigar lighter, Kenzle dash clock, a 0-100mph speedometer and 0-5,000rpm rev. counter. The car has recently undergone a voluntary MOT test which it passed. Following a period of museum display it will no doubt require the usual careful re-commissioning. It comes with old style green logbook, Swansea V5 document, photographs pre and post restoration and an instruction book with most helpful manuscript notes in the back. A useful pre-war sports car eligible for so many events and able to hold station well in company with modern traffic.