1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528
Lot 314
1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges
Registration no. SV 4343 Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528
Sold for £77,100 (US$ 129,457) inc. premium
Auction Details
1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528 1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges  Chassis no. 528 Engine no. 528
Lot Details
1908 Vulcan 20hp Roi-des-Belges
Registration no. SV 4343
Chassis no. 528
Engine no. 528

Footnotes

  • The Vulcan Motor & Engineering Company hailed from Southport in Lancashire, far from the British motor industry's Midlands home. Founded by the Hampson brothers – Thomas and Joseph – Vulcan offered its first production car in 1902, having built a solitary prototype a few years previously in Bolton. Their first production model was a single-cylinder design with two-speed gearbox and belt final drive. Development proceeded briskly and by 1905 the Vulcan range had expanded to include four-cylinder models of various sizes equipped with three-speed gearboxes and shaft drive. A six-cylinder car was added to the range for 1907 and for a relatively small company Vulcan was unusual in offering a wide range of models and all at competitive prices. After WWI Vulcan and Lea-Francis linked, sharing a dealer network and supplying each other with components, with some Vulcan models being sold under the latter's name. Vulcan ceased passenger car production in 1928 but continued as a manufacturer of commercial vehicles. It eventually became part of the Rootes Group.

    This rare survivor of an historic British make was delivered new in 1908 to Australia where it was first owned by one Frederick Dodds, a butcher in Newcastle, New South Wales. The car was supplied with an extra set of wheels shod with solid tyres, and an interchangeable van body. It was still registered to Dodds in 1919. Email correspondence on file states that the Vulcan took part in a street parade in Newcastle in 1947 and shortly thereafter passed into the ownership of Sydney resident John McLean, one of the founding members of the Veteran Car Club of Australia (NSW). When McLean moved to Queensland in the 1960s, the Vulcan was obtained by Gilltrap's Auto Museum on the Queensland Gold Coast. It was sold together with a number of the Museum's other cars in 1989, being purchased by Simon Langton, and shipped to the UK.

    It is believed that the engine in this car is of the '4" Racing' or 'Tourist Trophy' type. However, it should be noted that Vulcan made two four-cylinder engines with a 4" (102mm) bore: one displacing 3,923cc, the other 4,680cc. This car is said to be a 20hp model so would normally have been fitted with the former. Since its acquisition by the current owner in 2008, the Vulcan has been re-sprayed, re-trimmed and fitted with a new hood. Said to start readily and drive nicely, it has completed several Veteran Car Club events, the most recent in October 2013. Described as in generally excellent condition, this very practical Edwardian motor car is offered with VCC dating certificate, current road fund licence and Swansea V5 document.

    Also included in the sale is a 2007 Brian James A-Max 120-2150 car trailer; this is described by the vendor as in generally excellent condition.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Rob Hubbard
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    101 New Bond Street
    London, W1S 1SR
    United Kingdom
    Work +44 20 7468 5805
    FaxFax: + 44 20 7468 5802