Scottish-born inventor David Dunbar Buick built his first automobile in Detroit, Michigan in 1903. More designer than businessman, Buick's lack of talent in the latter role led to a number of changes of ownership in the firm's early years before its founder was eventually eased out in 1908, his departure from the Buick Motor Company coinciding with its establishment as the cornerstone of new owner William C Durant's General Motors. Under Durant's stewardship production rose dramatically from 750 cars in 1905 to 8,802 in 1908 when Buick's most popular model was the four-cylinder Model 10, priced at $900 and a direct competitor for Ford's Model T. The first six-cylinder models appeared as part of the 1916 line-up and their refined and flexible overhead-valve engines would help establish Buick's image as a quality automobile for the prosperous owner/driver. The OHV six had settled on a capacity of 242ci (3,967cc) in 1918, producing 60bhp, and for the 1919 model year was available in two wheelbase lengths and six different body styles, the H45 tourer being by far the most popular. Brakes were fitted to the rear wheels only.
Copied registration records on file reveal that this right-hand drive Buick Six was first owned by Mr John Hugh Evans of Swansea, a textile importer who travelled throughout West Wales selling cloth and haberdashery to retailers. Apparently, the Buick was photographed for the Cambrian Evening News circa 1936, having been deposited in a ditch by Mr Evans' chauffeur. The accident damaged the front axle and the car was taken off the road. Later that same year it was purchased by timber merchant Mr D Floyd of Bwlch Ilan near Aberaeron and installed in his works where it was used to power a circular saw.
After the car's restoration (see below), the current vendor and his wife drove it to Bwlch Ilan, only to learn that Mr Floyd had died three months previously. However, they did meet his nephew, Granville Floyd, who recognised the Buick and revealed that it had only been taken out of service when the crown wheel shed four teeth. (This had been discovered during restoration and the c/w replaced, as was the front axle). The Buick's next owner, a Mr Bliss, had intended to restore the car but never got around to it. After spending some 22 years in a field, it was discovered by the current owner, purchased from Mr Bliss and restored using spares sourced from the USA plus a donor car found in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Fortunately, the original body builder's plate had survived, revealing that the Buick had been bodied by John Norman Coach Builders of Cardiff, a company that seems to have specialised in commercial vehicle bodies.
Undertaken between 1999 and 2004, the restoration included a full engine rebuild (bores re-sleeved to standard, gudgeon pin circlips fitted); fully overhauled chassis, brakes and suspension; rewired electrics; new body to original pattern; and re-upholstered interior. Other noteworthy features include brass Rotax headlamps and matching sidelights; cast-aluminium number plates; double-duck hood in black and matching tonneau cover; Houk wire wheels; and a 6-volt electric fuel pump. The original hubs (for wooden wheels) and AutoVac come with the car.
Remarkably, the vendors are only the second owners to have driven 'CY 4210' on the road in its 94 years of existence. While in their care it has crossed Offa's Dyke for the first time and been driven to France, hence the 'GB' plate at the rear. A fine example of one of America's most capable large touring cars of the early Vintage era, this wonderful Buick Six is offered with restoration invoices, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5 document.
This vehicle does not have a current MoT and is MoT exempt.